Pistachio/Raspberries Mini-Cakes & Clerico to Say Farewell to Summer



Et oui....at least in Paris, summer is over! A cool fall breeze has set in...The first yellow leaves dance playfully on the sidewalks. Children are ready to begin school today (yes, this is the only country where classes begin on a Thursday, I think) But the market stalls still show us some summer berries, as if to say: "Easy....not so fast! It is still warm down there in the south" So I couldn't resist the temptation of making my last summer cake, with berries! 



Soon apples and oranges will be welcomed....but still, some more of berries, please !!!




A pistachio cake (as a base), with the perfume of "fleur d'oranger" is an instant trip to some Eastern culture...the "crème au beurre au pistache" (pistachio butter cream) sends a double message, and then the raspberries, with all their subtle elegance and perfection....




I was lucky to get pistachio from Iran ( I bought it in GdeTout, Paris) The pistachio is so green you don't need to add any food colouring !! Worth the extra euros you pay for it!! 
You can save time, with another version (not less savoury!!!): replace the pistachio butter cream for some whipped cream, or even some sweetened (or not) cream-cheese. The result will be less "pâtisserie" in appearance, but OMG !! in flavor ;D




I thought that the perfect drink to pair this was a "clerico"...I'm sure this exists in all countries...We drink it a lot in Argentina for summer parties: some white wine (or sparkling wine) and the fruits of your choice: here, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, and peaches!



You can serve the drinks with or without the fruits...or maybe, just a raspberry looks elegant!



(sigh...) And one day, just like that, almost without realizing....summer was over! I will cherish the memories of my "dolce far niente" till the next summer!




Now, new projects....work, work and work !!!! I will tell you about it soon......

For the recipe, see below....



To make this Raspberry/Pistachio Mini-Cakes, you will need:


For the pistachio biscuit ( enough for 10 6cm-round mini-cakes)
 * pistachios, 100gr
 * butter, 200gr, at room temperature
 * all-purpose flour, 120gr
 * sugar, 180gr
 * eggs, 4
 * orange flower water, 1 teaspoon


 * raspberries, 400gr
 * icing sugar


Put the pistachios and half the sugar in a food-processor. Give some pulses (not continuous) until the pistachios are finely chopped) Pre-heat your oven (150°C) In a stand-mixer, whisk the butter with the rest of the sugar. Then, fold in (while you continue whisking), the eggs, the flour, the orange flower water, and the pistachio/sugar mix. Butter a round cake mold (25cm) Bake for 35/40'. Let cool before removing from the mold. 

For the "crème au beurre au pistache" (pistachio butter cream), go to my recipe here


Once the biscuit is cool, cut it using the 6cm ring molds. Put some foil under each mold. Fill the mold (with the biscuit inside) with the butter cream ( it is better if you use a piping bag).
Refrigerate 2/3 hours minimum. Unmold. Decorate with the raspberries. Sprinkle some icing sugar on top. 













Comments

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said…
Aaaiiieee!! Don't even ask me how that sounds! I did not expect to see this little treat and now I cannot think what to write, because I am absolutely, hopelessly, madly, IN LOVE. Pistachios! Oh!!! And so petite, and pretty. I am lost.....
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Denise:

Ok, let's do this! We are having your Brie Galette & my Mini-cakes for a late lunch...Half way bet your place & mine? Let's say....Abu Dhabi? What do you think?
Miriam said…
Cristina, qué preciosidad de fotos, qué combinación de colores!! Curioso el clericó, no lo conocía, es como una sangría de vino blanco, qué rico. Besos.
Gaby said…
Cristina! you make me smile whith your clerico! I am at work at the moment ( in my break of course!) and everyone was wondering why I was staring at the computer screen and smiling in such a way..!
I adore clerico, I love adding lots of orange juice to make it sweeter.lush!
The mini cakes are fantastic, Immaculate presentation, great way to say bye to the summer and welcome the use of extra blankets!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Miriam:
Si, el unico "problema" del clerico es que te "pega" mas fuerte que la sangria...por el vino blanco! Con moderacion....Gracias !

@Gaby:

It is good to make someone smile, especially with good memories...Thanks!
These little cakes are gorgeous, Cristina! Love the colour contrast also! It's Spring here in Oz, yay! So it's becoming warmer for us and the cold is slowly going away so I am happy :) and soon, it will be berry season and I will try out these cakes.
Maya said…
Cristina, I love the color contrast between the pistachios and raspberries, and I bet these cakes taste awesome!
Charisse said…
Absolutely beautiful! I'm sure fall in Paris is just as wonderful as...well...any other time in Paris!
Nico said…
divinos, una hermosura las tortitas....
Unknown said…
I love the colors of your mini-cakes, so soft and delicate!
I can't believe you're feeling fall in the air, I will be in Paris soon and I'm just thinking what I want to pack. You've inspired me to be even more excited for my trip, if that is possible:)
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Pacheco Patty:

Don't forget to bring a "foulard" (silk scarf) We are having cool mornings...but the weather was GREAT today !!!
Torviewtoronto said…
colourful delicious thank you for sharing
Those tarts are beautiful! Great combination of flavours!
Stella said…
My Cristina! Whoa, this pastel looks so French until one reads your description of pistachios and orange blossom water-it sounds amazing. I'm with Denise, as I just don't know what to say. Really beautiful and the Eastern flavors sound enchanting.
Ooh, I do have a question though. Was this a hard dessert to construct and, well, make look beautiful? You know, some beautiful things are easier to make than they look and some are just as hard as they look (smile)...?
Adelina said…
Cristina, that is just stunningly beautiful! I am not sure if dessert is my forte... but I do want to make these. Great piece of work!!!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Stella:

Well, it is not difficult to assemble...maybe, the butter cream requires a bit of precision....but you shouldn't be afraid, Stellita! You can do this and much more!

@ Everybody: Thank you SO much!
This looks superb! Glad I found your blog through Food Gawker :)
Simply divine! What a lovely color and flavor combination!
shayma said…
you are so very talented, my dear. utterly gorgeous dessert and even more gorgeous photos. muah. x shayma
Magic of Spice said…
These are just scrumptious...The presentation is gorgeous :) I want these!
Maria said…
Absolutely fabulous!
Barbara said…
Gosh, those a so pretty, Cristina. As well as being delicious, no doubt. I am crazy about pistachios. I made a pistachio/pear cake last year but still haven't posted it. You are giving me incentive to dig it out.

I've never had clerico! Looks like I've really been missing something.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Barbara:

Pistachio, pear? Never tried that combination...Send your post, please!!
Yes, you should definitely try the "clerico"
Claudia said…
Two of my favrotie food items in one summery dessert (I'm not letting go of summer for three more weeks). Pistachio butter??? You do know how to celebrate a berry!
Cooking Gallery said…
Gorgeous pictures and the mini cakes look so adorable and delicious!
Chef Chuck said…
Hi Cristina! You always amaze me, this elegant desert, with pistachio cream / berries. Wonderful flavors, I am sure !!
~Photo's are fabulous~
Shirley said…
These are so pretty and elegant! I'm going to miss summer.
Liren said…
Cristina, these are perfectly elegant and a lovely send off to summer! I'm definitely feeling wistful now that the end of summer is near. Beautiful post :)
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody:

I'm SO glad you liked them...Thanks you all !!!!!!
tasteofbeirut said…
What a lovely time spent reading your post! The photos are stunning and the cake with the dainty raspberries on top is so elegant and refined: sensational!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Taste of Beirut:

What a nice comment! Thanks!
fragolina said…
Amazing pictures!!! I love the colors of these beautiful mini-cakes. What a yummii way to end the summer.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Fragolina:

Thank you and welcome to my blog!!!
~Lexibule~ said…
Quels ravissants gâteaux!! Ton blog est Magnifiques:))xxx
Leila said…
Bonjour Cristina,
Je viens de découvrir ton blog sur le site du blog culinaire. Et jusqu'à présent tu as su combler mes papilles. J'ai vraiment hate de découvrir davantage ton blog. Une merveille... surtout pour une fana de la cuisine hispanique que je suis. bravo !

Leila
bunkycooks said…
You are like me using the berries until the very last ones are available! It is sad to see Summer go for me this year, although it was terribly hot. This dessert looks gorgeous (as yours always do!). Cannot wait to hear about your new projects!
i just stumbled across this recipe while looking up lovely summer desserts for a dinner party. i'm so glad i found your blog, especially since i've spent time in BsAs - it's nice to see things like empanadas + dulce de leche alongside some wonderful french dishes + desserts. such a nice variety of recipes!

Popular Posts