Caramelised Oranges with Rosemary & Gancia, or when "la France" pays tribute to Argentina



Last Sunday, a festival, Viva Argentina!, was organised at the Château de Villarceaux, continuing with the celebrations in honour of the 200th anniversary of Argentina. As an Argentinian, I feel so grateful to this country....I have no words for it! When people ask me: "How do the French treat you in France?" I have to say: "It couldn't be better"...for some reason that I don't clearly understand, "la France" professes a unique love for Argentina..I don't know if it is because of our tango, that they ADORE or what (fatal attraction?)...but as soon as I say I'm Argentinian, a big smile comes to the lips of every French person I come across, and they immediately make me feel special, they pamper me in a special way....



So  this magnificent place, on a great sunny day, was the scenario for all sorts of artistic representations from Argentina: tango, folklore music, dance...stands showing and selling our wines, knives, and "alpargatas" (country shoes)
To give visitors a warm welcome, a proud "gaucho" (or several rather!) on his horse.....
The image of the "gaucho" sends me back to my childhood, summers spent in the countryside, trying to ride which were, at the time, gigantic horses....The gaucho embodies the best that Argentina has...it is the image of friendship, hospitality, loyalty, honour, pride in our country and traditions....really, the best in us!!! So I had to take myself a photo with this "paisano" ( person from the countryside)


Notice how the gaucho differs from the American cowboy in his apparel...he wears a small "beret" (not the big cowboy hat) and this is the unmistakable proof of the influence of Basque inmigration in Argentina...At the times of Argentinian Civil War, when the country was divided between "unitarios" (those who wanted a central government in Buenos Aires, controlling the rest of the country), or "federales" ( those for keeping the autonomy of each province), people would proclaim their political standing by the colour of their beret...red for federales and white or light blue, for unitarios....but leaving aside these political matters, the most common colour to be found is black, of course...
Then our gaucho wears a pair of black or beige baggy trousers (called "bombacha"), leather boots, a wide leather belt adorned with coins (silver or not), and tightly fastened with  his belt, a "facon" ( a knife), heavily decorated, sometimes even in silver and gold....
The gaucho uses his knife for everything: to work, for his handcrafts, to eat...He wears a sort of handkerchief or scarf around his neck...In spite of his simplicity, the gaucho loves looking "buenmozo" (handsome).


photo by Eduardo Amorin

The organisers had estimated around 3000 people would attend this festival...They never expected the 8000 that finally turned up: mostly French ( 95%), eager to learn to dance tango, dance the tango themselves....or just admire the unique charm of a couple that dances tango well...


Look  at this "bandoneon" player !!! All in black....the colour of "tangueros" (tango fans) Well...Argentinians love wearing black, contrasted to our Brazilian neighbours who prefer bright colours....


And then, it goes without saying, people went there TO EAT!!! our incredibly tender meat from our grass-fed cows from our Pampa....Look at the "chorizos" (sausages) to make our "choripan" (sausage sandwich) with "chimichurri", of course !!!!. Also, the huge pieces of meat, to make a "vacio" sandwich ("vacio" is a special cut- I don't know why we cut the cow in a different way??!!)
Which do I prefer??? The "asador", of course !!!! (the barbecue man) LOL...You see, that shows I'm getting old...When a woman my age pays attention to the young Argentinian asador is because she is ageing...Well or maybe I'm just like Madonna !!! 
Well....jokes aside, which is the connection between all this and the oranges??? In Argentina, when we finish eating insane quantities of meat in our barbecue party, the typical thing to have for dessert is fruit salad...because it is light, fresh, and because we don't want to work in the kitchen a lot!!! But of course, I can't post a fruit salad!!, so I found this recipe from Argentinian chef, Francis Mallmann, one of our best chefs...trained in France, French cuisine advocat, until one day, he decided to go back to the sources....and you know, it takes a great chef, to make a dessert as simple as this....Only five minutes to caramelise your oranges, and put some Greek yoghurt to the side....yet the rosemary adds a special touch...I decided to infuse the oranges in Gancia !! THE aperitif present at the beginning of all the barbecues: empanadas with Gancia, then meat with red wine...Malbec, of course!


In his original recipe, Francis Mallmann burns the oranges in little sugar...I preferred to caramelise them, for fear anyone would say..."Hey Cristina, you forgot you had the oranges in the skillet?" If you can't get Gancia, you can use Martini (not the same, though) or a Cointreau (more refined, though)... but Gancia, in spite of its Italian origin, is the real Argentinian thing....!


The Greek yogurt could  be replaced by some vanilla ice-cream...For those that know Buenos Aires...Freddo? (most famous icecream parlor) OMG!! Too much nostalgia !!!


Want the recipe?


For these Caramelised Oranges, with Rosemary and Gancia, you will need:
(serves 2)

 *oranges, 2
 * fresh rosemary leaves
 * brown sugar, 150gr
 * Gancia, 1/2cup
 * Greek yogurt, 250gr

Cut both ends off the oranges. Using a sharp knife, remove the skin and the white pith from each orange. Cut the oranges crosswide (3 slices each). Put them on a plate. Infuse them in Gancia, and sprinkle the rosemary leaves on top. Let rest 30'.
Heat a skillet with the sugar over medium heat. When a caramel begins to form, put the oranges in it. Don't move for 3/4'. Turn over. Cook 3/4' more.
Place the oranges on a dish. Spoon the yogurt next to the oranges. Drizzle the caramel over the oranges and yogurt. Serve.


Comments

Fran said…
What a wonderful post from the photos to the details of the festival to the food and ... Freddo! Yum. It looks like a great day. Thanks for sharing.
These oranges look absolutely beautiful. Love fresh citrus!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Fran

I thought about you while writing this...Thanks !!!
Miriam said…
Precioso! Es que Argentina es muy especial... y aprender a bailar tango es una de las frustraciones de mi vida, pero es que no hay manera de convencer a mi socio...
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Miriam:

Si te sirve de consuelo, mi marido y yo somos "de madera" bailando el tango !!! Gracias Miriam!!
Unknown said…
Lately I have been obsessed with oranges. I pretty much eat one ever day. This desert looks absolutely spectacular. I might even rather have this than cake *gasp*!!!!
*kisses*HH
Magic of Spice said…
What a wonderful post...The photos are stunning, and the event looks grand...This is a beautiful dish :)
Stella said…
Oh Cristina, you know, I think everyone feels that way about Argentina and its people. I don't quite know why. I suppose you all are like the Italians-everyone just loves almost every little thing about you/your country. Charm at its best! Ooh, that's funny being that a lot of Argentinians are in part Italian. Hmm, maybe I'm on to something...
Your caramelized oranges look delicious by the way. I would love some now.
p.s. Malbec is my favorite varietal of wine. And, even though it's indigenous to France, I prefer Malbec from Mendoza.
p.s.s.-that is one cute paisano!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Stella

Oh, you are really a connaisseur, my Stellita !!! You know that Malbec is from Mendoza??? Btw: soon you will have news about Malbec and me!!!
Gaby said…
Cristina, what a lovely day you must have had! I can just re-create the smell of that "asado" only by looking at the pictures. You did a great job at describing part of our traditions, I makes me feel very proud.
Francis Mallmann.. what a poet! he is one of my favourite cooks in Argentina. Now that he has gone back to basics I love him even more.
Hugs, Gabyxx
Adelina said…
Wow Cristina! I feel like I am living in France thanks to you. I love your snapshots and beautiful stories. Love your salad creation and it's okay to feel like Madonna time to time.
Barry Newman said…
What wonderful pictures and the oranges look amazing!
Unknown said…
I love your pictures and it makes perfect sense to me that La France would pay tribute to Argentina, looks like a fun day:)
That's interesting that they love your culture so much! This is a sublime dish. I'm saving this for my next dinner party!
Marcella said…
Hola Cristina. Soy Marcella de Anything Au Chocolat. Gracias por tu post en mi blog. Me alegra que hayas dejado el post ya que de otro forma no hubiera descubierto tu hermoso blog. Tenes fotos increibles en tu blog. Y las recetas parecen riquisimas. Voy a hacer las naranjas caramelizadas. Parece sencilla pero deliciosas. Mi esposo es Argentino asi que he visitado tu pais varias veces y me encantan las personas, la comida, la cultura, … y los helados… por supuesto. :) El famoso helado de dulce de leche del Freddo… se me hace agua la boca!. Un besito, Marcella
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Marcella:

Muchisimas gracias por tus palabras, Marcella y bienvenida al blog!
Great post, as always! I went to BA for my honeymoon -- I love Freddo! What a delicious treat! xo
Dianne said…
Wow! those superbe caramelised oranges look delicous! Thank you for dropping by my blog because I now have the pleasure of visiting your amazing life.
~Dianne~
this is such a beautiful event... will check out that orange recipe one of these days... it looks delicious
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Gaby:I quite agree. I prefer Mallmann now than before...Thanks!

@zentango: Increible tu trabajo!! Qué tanguero de ley!

@Amanda
@Claudia
@All things French
@Punctuation Mark

Thank you all and welcome to my blog !!!!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Kathryn

Thanks for the invitation! But I have enrolled in the Project FoodBlog Contest, starting next week....so one contest at a time is enough for me ....With pleasure, another time...
bunkycooks said…
This festival looks fantastic! You all have so much fun in France. Ahhh...I want to go back! The food, the dancing...what a great time! I love the dessert. Perfect after all of the heavy foods. I used to prepare oranges this way many years ago. It was a dish they served at traditional French restaurants for dessert (minus the yogurt).

Congrats on the Foodista cookbook! Yay for you!
Oh Cristina - I love Malbec and you know when it comes to this macho grape ;) Argentina kicks French butt very, very soundly ROFL

"Bombacha" has a very nice ring to it - now I will be repeating the word quietly to myself the whole week or until another word captures my fancy...

Your caramelised oranges look beautiful - I love the addition of rosemary!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Bunkycooks
@Denise

Thank you girls....You'll soon have news about Malbec and me ....
fimere said…
DE sublimes photos et un excellent dessert parfumé au romarin
j'aime beaucoup
bonne soirée
Kate said…
Beautiful photos and what a wonderful recipe! I'm with Sommer on this - perfect for my next dinner party. Thanks, Kate @kateiscooking
Barbara said…
That was such fun to read, Cristina. Loved your accompanying photos!

I never thought to caramelize oranges...I wonder why? They look divine.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Fimere: Merci beaucoup !!!

@Kate: Thank you and welcome to my blog!!!

@Barbara: Go ahead Barbara...Make them for dinner!!!
Lori Lynn said…
What a wonderful post Cristina! Learned a new word "buenmozo."
LL
Claudia said…
Now I'm craving barbecue and caramelized onions...
Anonymous said…
1.You are as good an ambassador of your own country as of France (your adopted one) !
2.The way the French treat you must also have to do with your personnal charm (no kidding) !But it is true that there is a specific love story between the French and the Argentinians - We too are extremely welcome over there.
3.Concerning your orange desert, I used to do it with pineapple, yogurt and speculoos spices. I like those super easy, fresh, tasty and appetizing recipes.
What fascinates me about cooking is the creative side : there is no end to imagination ! Ojo ! There are limits and some mixtures that I see in some magazines, I wouldn't even try !

Y.K.W.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ YKW

Thank you very much...and oh!!! the speculoos is a great idea!! Yes, some "croquant" was missing !!!
S said…
really, really beautiful photos, cristina. all the photos on your blog. x shayma
Unknown said…
Argentinians know how to grill beef and make a wonderful Malbec. Who couldn't love that?! Only a vegan teetotaler! LOL!
Beautiful pics ! Always love to see a pic of you :) I've been obsessed with oranges lately so may have to give this try :)
Erica said…
Cristina, I found your post looking where to buy gancia and it was a delight to read about the festival. Of course, at the end I had no other feeling than melancholy for Argentina!
Great dessert recipe, thanks for sharing!

Erica Bell

Popular Posts