Sliced Apples in Pistachio Cream with Berries, or My First Cooking Lesson




Et oui, ever since I started thinking what to write my first entry for the Project Food Blog Challenge that I started reminiscing about my first cooking lesson in Argentina, with my dear and admired Beatriz Chomnalez...and my first dessert was this one...these apples..That day, Beatriz said in French: "Emincé de pommes sur Crème de Pistache et Fruits rouges" Wowww !!! I thought at that moment !!! I was in heaven...However, it is a very simple dessert, but it looks so sophisticated when you announce it !!! I remember the following Sunday, I invited some friends home for the typical Sunday "asado" (barbecue) and then I presented this...you know what? My friend took photos !!! They were so impressed !! (well, it is not difficult to impress Argentinians ;D  ... I was so happy, and let's admit it, so proud of myself! 






This is the reward in cooking, in learning to cook! Immediate feedback! And this seals the love relationship..because like in any relationship, you give...you make efforts but you expect some sort of payback...the payback here being the smiles of my friends...once they had finished their share, seeing that they went stealthily into the kitchen to see if I had more...the glow of pride in the eyes of my husband and kids...
A few days ago, September 11th, was Teacher's day in Argentina. On this day, there is a celebration in all our schools in honor of our teachers. We usually give them a flower, a bouquet, a small present..It's the day to say "thank you" to those people that hopefully will leave a positive imprint on our lives. By means of this post, I would like to thank my dear Beatriz, not only for teaching me, but for believing in me!!! One day, I don't know what we were talking about, but she looked at me very seriously, with her peaceful 80-year old face, and she told me: "You will succeed Cristina..." I asked her: "How do you know?" and she said: "I know..."
"Ever since that day, my dear Beatriz, I work hard so as not to let you down...."



For the recipe, click below






To make these Sliced Apples in Pistachio Cream with Berries, you will need:
(serves 4)


 * green apples, 2
 * sugar (to sprinkle the apples)
 * butter (to butter the mold and sprinkle the apples)
 * red currants, raspberries (according to taste)
 * cream, 100ml
 * pistachio paste, 15gr


Peel the apples, cut them in twos, remove the core. Butter a baking pan. Place the apples trying to keep their shape as you see in the photo.



Sprinkle them with pieces of butter and sugar. Bake (190°C) for 20' aprox. They should have a golden color.Heat the cream, add the pistachio paste. Add a little sugar (optional). Refrigerate.
Warning: Pistachio paste + cream gives a weird color, so I added some green colouring..
Suggestion: in most countries, it is very difficult to find pistachio paste. You can make it mixing 100gr of pistachios, that you will combine with one egg white and one tablespoon of icing sugar. Refrigerate for one hour.
Place the apples carefully on each dish. Put the pistachio cream around. Decorate with the berries. 

Comments

That is a wonderful dessert! Refined in it's simplicity!

Cheers,

Rosa
Miriam said…
Es precioso, no me extraña que tus amigos se impresionasen! Pero nunca he visto la pasta de pistachos por aquí...
Kate said…
Beautiful! I love the combination of flavors!!! Kate @ kateiscooking
Roxan said…
Christina, wonderful and lovely dessert. I would welcome it on my table any time of the day!

By the way - I got back from Argentina a couple days ago. I LOVED it there! Now I know why so many people go there to visit and then move there. There isn't a thing i would change about my trip or that country... I can't even stop babbling about it. Thank you also for that email you sent me a while back - thanks to your advice we took the boat ride that took us under the waterfalls and it was one of the highlights of the trip!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Roxan: I'm SO glad you had a great time in my country !!!! You made me feel proud !!! Thanks!

@Miriam: Si, sé que practicamente se consigue solo en lugares muy especializados, por eso la receta para salir del paso . Obvio, no es lo mismo...Si algun dia querés, te la mando!

@Rosa
@Kate
Thank you, girls!!!
Cherine said…
What a wonderful flavored dessert!!
Magic of Spice said…
Very lovely and elegant dessert:)
The dessert is so beautiful and I love how simple it is!
Unknown said…
Those are the best deserts, the ones that look so elegant but are effortless. This looks wonderful, I love anything with pistachios.
*kisses* HH
Unknown said…
p.s. I voted for you daaahling
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Lindsey:

That's true !!! Simple desserts are SO enjoyable!!

@ Heavenly Housewife:

Thank you Hana! You are a real friend!!
Nancy said…
Sophisticated, elegant and just perfect! I can see your teacher was correct. It really looks delicious, I love all of the fruits.
Looks absolutely delicious!
Such a simple and elegant dish!
So impressive looking, I can't believe how simple it actually is! The crusted currants on top are breathtaking! You know I am always a goner when there is pistachio involved *sigh*
Barbara said…
How wonderful to have someone like Beatriz in your life! You have certainly exceeded all expectations, Cristina! I think you are a brilliant cook!

I love the colors and simplicity of your apple dish. And those flavors together must be marvelous!
Claudia said…
I would love to do this - pistachio paste is something I've never seen in the Midwest (okay, I haven't looked) but I love sweet simplicities. And I truly love the story - yay for your teacher and her belief in you. That's half the process!
Unknown said…
Beautiful apple dessert and such a lovely thank you to your cooking teacher:)
Jen Cheung said…
You are tagged !!! Come visit my page and fill out a survey for me to get to know you better !!

Have a wonderful and fabulous weekend !!
Jen @ www.passion4food.ca
Lori Lynn said…
So sentimental!
Congrats on advancing to the next round in PFB Cristina! Can't wait to see your Classic Dish!
LL
Wow, picture looks amazing! It is like from a gourmet cook Magazine!

I am going to make it on our anniversary next month, to feel so special.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Pam

Thank you!! I feel flattered!!!
These are most often the best desserts !! Hubby brought back apples from market this morning, once I get through the PFB challenge may give this a try - will keep you updated !
fromBAtoParis said…
@Wheels & Lollipops

This challenge is going to "kill" us LOL
Chef Chuck said…
Apples are in!! I could sense the texture/flavor, very well ~
Just Wonderful!
Stella said…
Oh Beatriz! So sweet and so wise, b/c Cristina is so wonderful;) Me thinks! And this dessert is so simple yet very delicious looking. Fruit desserts are always the best-the perfect end to a meal they are.
Ooh, and photos here are beautiful, Cristina. I love the way those berries glisten...
Gaby said…
Lovely as always Cristina..sharp beautiful colours for a simple yet sophiscicated dessert.