My Tribute to "Old-Fashioned" Macarons

I was not going to post about macarons...Why? Because I have already done it, and because macarons are everywhere....and as a general rule, when something is everywhere, I, almost automatically, lose my interest in it.



But I made macarons this weekend, for the sole reason that my daughters asked me to do it...and out of the hundreds flavors and combinations, my daughters prefer the simple, traditional pistachio!  yes, while most teenagers will indulge in chocolate, my daughters adore  "pistache"....("weird" girls.....like mother, like daughters? LOL)




And so, while I was making them, ideal time for my musings, I thought about what has happened with macarons.....When I came to France for the first time, almost ten years ago now, macarons were fragile, refined, pale things.....(believe me they were subtle in color!), that came only in a handful flavors: chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, pistachio.....and the filling? in most cases, "crème au beurre", French butter cream....



Then, the world changed, became global, macarons became THE thing to be made, and copied.....the world used all its imagination to glorify them ! some people did a tremendous job....and some others banalized them, turning this jewel of French Pâtisserie, unparalleled art and refinement, into something that Marie Antoinette would find it hard to recognize!
Mind you, I also make "mea culpa", I am also part of the bunch whose imagination went wild..this is why, in this post, I decided to pay tribute to the old macarons...traditional, subtle, with crème au beurre....



and I hope these photos capture my idea, this classical French spirit, the macarons, some almost faded "pivoines" (peonies), the pearls...so dear to all French ladies...tradition, sticking to old values, simple and at the same time sophisticated...like "la France".


Now for the recipe.....





For the shells, follow my basic recipe here, only adding some green/yellow foodcoloring (quantity depends on the brand and type). You can sprinkle them before baking with some coarsely chopped pistachios.


For the French "crème au beurre"
(N.B.: the quantity here is much more than what you need for 30 macarons, but some recipes, like this one, just can't be made in very small quantity...I suggest using the half in pistachio flavor, and the rest for the filling of some other macarons: café, coconut...au Grand Marnier..)

soft butter (room temperature), 250gr
water, 50ml
sugar, 140ml
eggs, 2
yolks,2
pistachio paste, 1 teaspoon



Whisk the soft butter till it gets a creamy texture. Put the water and sugar over low/medium heat. Heat it till it reaches 118°C. In the meanwhile, whisk the yolks and eggs, preferably in a stand mixer till they whiten. When the syrup has reached the right temperature, pour on the eggs (with mixer at high speed) Lower the speed, and mix until the temperature lowers (Bravo !!! you have made a "pâte à bombe"), they should be slightly warm, actually, eggs and butter should have the same temperature....Add in the butter gradually. Mix until you get a smooth cream...Add the pistachio paste to half this recipe, use the rest for another flavor (e.g.: you can aromatize with cognac, Cointreau, 10 gr of instant coffee dissolved in a little water, vanilla extract). The "crème au beurre" was the original filling for Bûches de Nöel, génoise, and some petits-fours....

Comments

Miriam said…
Me ha encantado este post, porque es... distinto y original! Tienes razón cuando dices que los macarons están en todas partes, en la blogosfera anglosajona hay empacho de macarons... con esa adoración que los americanos sienten por la presentida sofisticación francesa. Pero los tuyos siguen siendo una monada!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Miriam:

Muchisimas gracias Miriam...como siempre, tan gentil!
Anonymous said…
Your photos are amazing!! You always make everything look pretty and sophisticated!! Althought, macarons are always very "chic".
I must say that I love "les macarons de pistache" and even more yours!!
Love...
Your daughter M.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ my "anonymous" daughter Millie:

Gracias, mi amor! Tu comentario no es muy objetivo, pero es el mas hermoso que he tenido !!!!
Charlotte said…
Hi Cristina! I love it when you make macarons!:) you are so good at it..:) Thanks for sharing how macarons were like years back.. I get your point about macarons being everywhere nowadays.. :) Oh, and your photos are amazing! The fuschia background certainly popped out the color of the pistachio macaron, and I love the addition of the peonies!:)
Denise said…
Cristina – I too have lost interest in the macaron that once obsessed me! Just too much of it everywhere. I’ve always loved pistachio and to me simple will always be best – so I really enjoyed your post. The pearls and peonies were perfect with the pistachio ;)
Unknown said…
Me too, I'm tired of making macaroons. The ones I buy at Laduree are so much better than mine anyways, there's no point in making my own.
I love the more traditional flavours, and pistachio is one of my favourite. These look beautiful.
*kisses* HH
Nish said…
Really beautiful.. I always check for your new posts.. and the comment by your daughter..she is really sweet..
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Charlotte: Thanks for the attention devoted to all the details !

@ Heavenly Housewife: I love your sincere words..Thanks!

@ Nish: Thanks for following my blog. I feel honoured
Barbara said…
No question, macarons have made the rounds! And I love all the flavors and colors, don't you? (your photos with the pistachio green against the white and pink are lovely!)
I still haven't attempted them... and by the time I try, they will be passé! But I was tempted by some coffee ones I saw last week and now your pistachio recipe. Perhaps this week I'll try. Everyone keeps scaring me about the feet!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Barbara: Learning to make macarons is like learning to ride a bike: it might be difficult at first, but once you learn, there's no turning back!
I'm like you in regard to when things become too trendy I lose interest. But your photos are gorgeous and I LOVE pistachio. And you made these from scratch. I am totally interested and impressed.
Claudia said…
The photos are stunning. What can I say - I never lose interest in things that deliver tons of happy flavor.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Claudia: Thank you Claudia and welcome to my blog!!! How interesting what you do with children, and then your Italian cuisine blog is great !!!!
Swee San said…
The styling looks amazing!
Cristina said…
It looks like your macarons turned out perfect. So feminine and delicately presented. Beautiful photography.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Swee San: Welcome to my blog !!

@ Cristina, from Teene Cakes: Thanks !!!
Stella said…
Hey Cristina, I lose interest in things too if they become too popular. The only way I don't is if it is something I really adore, otherwise, forget it.
I have never had a macaron (don't judge me-smile). If I did though, I would want a traditional flavor like pistachio.
Your photos are so pretty too! They always are...
Today your comment system likes me and I am in!

I have to agree with your anonymous daughter - you make everything beautiful!

I like things classic and simple too - these are perfect!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Denise: At Last !!!!!!! The spell is broken !!! =D
xoxo
Unknown said…
I love your beautiful photos, they make the macarons look so feminine and appealing, how nice that you make these old fashioned cookies for your children, thanks for sharing your recipe.
Gourmantic said…
J'adore les macarons aux pistache! And I love the photography and presentation.

Ca, c'est de l'elegance! :)
Lori Lynn said…
Way too pretty!
Pistachio is my favorite too.
LL