Beef Carpaccio, with Basil, Red Pepper and Mozzarella Madeleines, or when Italy marries "la France"

Even in Paris, after a cold spell, warm weather is coming....we feel like eating lighter, fresher things.... ( women like me have nightmares of looking like Moby Dick ON the beach !! ), so for whatever reason, health, weather or personal vanity (or the three at the same time!), this marks the beginning of my "summer" posts....devoted to low-calory-easy-to-digest-fast-to-make meals....Well, don't get overexcited (or too sad), due to my French training, I will give you something buttery or creamy from time to time....Who said a salad dish can't have a crème brûlée as final touch? 
Now for the beef carpaccio.....classic Italian dish to which I have added my personal French touch, some madeleines: basil, red pepper and mozzarella cheese!....




The arugula, basil, red peppers and the pine nuts accentuate the Italian/south of France scents and flavours....






 The dish is named Carpaccio, after the name of an Italian painter, famous for its colourful paintings....Now, there are two stories associated with it: Mrs Cipriani, in Venice, or a rich lady from Milan, were advised by their doctors to eat raw meat....apparently, it was not considered very "elegant" to eat raw meat so they named the dish "carpaccio" so that no one would notice....
I do not know which story is true...but I love Venice, Milan and Carpaccio, so.....
AND I would like to point out, eating carpaccio IS elegant, "n'est-ce pas?" (isn't it?). 
Enjoy it !!!



Now for the recipe....... 





Beef Carpaccio
(serves 4) 







 * beef fillet, 300gr
 * lemon, 1
 * extra virgin olive oil, 4 tablespoons
 * balsamic vinegar (optional), 1 tablespoon
 * arugula leaves, 100gr
 * fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper
 * parmesan cheese, 50gr
 * pine nuts, 30gr

Put the beef fillet (trimmed of any excess fat) in the freezer for 30'. This will help you cut the slices very thinly, if not, ask your butcher to do it for you (with the machine). Place the slices  forming a rosette. Drizzle it with a little lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, fleur de sel and pepper (to taste). In the center, place the arugula leaves mixed with the pine nuts. Sprinkle with a vinaigrette made with the rest of olive oil, balsamic vinegar (optional), salt and pepper. Shave thin slices of Parmesan with your potato peeler. Top on the arugula.

Red Bell Peppers, Basil, and Mozzarella Madeleines
(for 16 madeleines aprox (normal size)
 * basil leaves, 10gr
 * red bell peppers, 1, for this recipe, but since we are roasting them, you can prepare more
 * eggs, 3
 * mozzarella cheese, 100gr
 * parmesan cheese, grated, 15gr
 * all purpose flour, 150gr
 * baking powder, 1 coffeespoon.
 * roasted red bell pepper, 60gr
 * olive oil, 5 tablespoons
 * salt and pepper

To roast the peppers, put them on a baking tray, in the oven, under the broiler. Roast them till the skin blackens. Take them out. Put them in a plastic bag, seal it, wait 30'. The steam will help for the peeling. Remove the skin and seeds.


Dice the mozzarella, the peppers. Slice the basil leaves thinly (previously washed and rinsed). Mix the flour and baking powder. Whisk the eggs with the parmesan cheese. Combine the flour and baking powder with the eggs and parmesan. Fold in the mozzarella, peppers and basil, the oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Combine well. Refrigerate at least for one hour.
Pre-heat the oven 180°C. Place a baking tray in the oven. Butter and flour your madeleine molds. Put the madeleine batter into a piping bag, and fill 2/3 of the madeleines molds. Refrigerate again with the mold. Bake for 10' placing the mold on the hot baking tray. This temperature shock will make the madeleine have its  bump. If you are using a mini Madeleine mold, baking time is 7'. Take them out of the oven. Wait for some minutes before unmolding. Let them cool on a rack. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.



Comments

Claudia said…
This is oustanding. I am always afraid to make carpaccio - afraid of killin someone! But these flavors and the melding of Italian and French do sing. Wishing for a madeleine.
Charlotte said…
I love raw beef, but what I'm more interested in are the madeleines! I'm sure it's very delicious!♥
fromBAtoParis said…
@Claudia: You shouldn't be afraid....Carpaccio is very popular in France too, and nobody dies...I guess if you use quality meat is less dangerous than many hamburgers out there, made with pieces of meat of God knows where !!!!!
Edda said…
Todo super apetitoso! Complimenti! Baci da Milano..
Julieta said…
Me acuerdo que la primera verz que lo comi fue en una cena en la Parolaccia, pero este esta mejor!
Besitos.
denise @ quickies on the dinner table said…
OMG Cristina! You just made my heart beat faster!! Those madeleines are brilliant and beef carpaccio is one of the things on my last meal on earth list......
Unknown said…
What an elegant meal. Those savoury madeleines look simply fabulous.
Have a wonderful weekend daaaahling.
*kisses* HH
Stella said…
Hey Cristina,
This is beautiful. Back when I was more of a meat eater, I loved carpaccio. I would only eat it if it came from a nice source though.
Your madeleines also look extra tempting by the way. I might make those this weekend, since my Cauldron Boy is out of town. I can do what I want...

By the way, what do you mean 'women like you' are afraid of looking bad on the beach? You look so thin in all your pictures. It's not only about weight you know? It's about firmness and being strong and healthful. That's what I think anyway. Ooh, speaking of that, I probably should get my exercises over with (smile)...
Carpaccio's are a favorite here as well. Definitely going to try the Madeleine recipe. on
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Denise: Don't wait so long....make them tomorow ;D

@Stella:I absolutely agree with you...I try to eat healthy, and light and I exercise a lot !!
But once a week I indulge in the things I like....because eating something delicious makes me happy...and cooking something "yummy" for my family, makes me double happy !!!!
Thanks !
Magic of Spice said…
Wonderful dish, all looks so good. Especially the Madeleines...
Barbara said…
Mozzarella madeleines? Brilliant, Cristina. I am copying the recipe right now...
Gourmantic said…
Savoury madeleines? They must taste divine! Well done Cristina :)
Barbara said…
I love carpaccio, it's one of my favorite meat dishes. I'm very curious about the savory Madeleine, i'm going to try your recipe!
@Barbara, from Milano:

Welcome to my blog....first comment from someone from Italy. Tante grazie....
tasteofbeirut said…
Cristina

So nice to meet you! I can relate, having lived in France for a while (my family lived there 20 years) ; I love your food and can see that you are able to navigate through all the French products very well now; for example these savory madeleines with the carpaccio is such a great idea! I love it; found out about the origin of the name too, thanks!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Taste of Beirut,

Thanks a lot and welcome to my blog !
After looking at all the French blogs featuring pastries lately, this is a breathe of fresh air.
Chef Chuck said…
Hello Cristina, Hope all is well. This I would love to try, your personal touch sounds like great one! Photo's I love! Yummm.
Take care:)
fromBAtoParis said…
@Chef Chuck:

Thanks for your concern, Chuck! Everything is all right...just working too hard....
Stella said…
Hey Cristina, you don't need a shrink. I do! I'm blog obsessed. Well, for the moment at least. I find it to be somewhat therapeutic if you know what I mean...?
Oh, and I've been meaning to e-mail you. I'm gonna do that...
Hope your'e doing well. Oh, and I find eating what I want sometimes makes me feel happy too.
Chef Chuck said…
Remember one of your best releases, "Shopping!" Or at lease that is one of mine,
Slow down and take care, Chuck
fromBAtoParis said…
@Stella: Oh, of course, eating well makes me happy! but also, going to a restaurant or bistro, café, with my family or friends, in a terrace, when the weather is good...OH! that makes me VERY happy !!!!

@Chuck: You are absolutely right !!!! No work today! I'm going shopping AND the hairdresser's...LOL
Magdalena said…
I love savory variations of madeleines, or financiers, or even tuiles. Good that you showed them!