Dulce de Leche Ice Cream, like in Buenos Aires

Summer is coming, and the hot weather calls for ice-cream, and while for many people ice cream means strawberry, vanilla, chocolate....for me, it means only one thing: dulce de leche !




Argentinians have a reputation for great ice-cream. All tourists that visit Buenos Aires learn these three words instantly: Freddo, Volta, Persicco....Italian pizzerias? No, the name of the three best ice-cream parlors in the city, with ice-cream of a unrivalled quality ...Just last week, when I was in New York, some American friends told me that..."Oh, we miss so much the dulce de leche ice-cream from Buenos Aires...", and so the idea came to me... if you like this recipe, thank Phyllis and Ken !



And while dulce de leche icecream can be plain, or with chocolate chips...the latest fad? with brownies or Oreo cookies.... I will post here its most traditional flavour, dulce de leche ice-cream with caramelised almonds




Here comes the recipe!





For the Caramelised Almonds you will need: 
 * whole almonds, 150gr
 * sugar, 75gr
 * water, 15gr


Put the sugar and water in a thick pan, over a medium heat. When the sugar reaches 110°C (5'), pour all the almonds at a time. Stir continously with a wooden spoon. There, you'll panic because the sugar will turn into something like sand ! this is because the water has evaporated. Don't worry, keep on stirring and little by little sugar will turn into caramel (it doesn't happen instantly; it takes 10' aprox.) 






When the almonds have a nice caramel colour and are well coated, remove the pan from the fire, scatter the almonds on a Silpat, with the help of two forks coated in oil. Let them cool.



Warning: these almonds are completely addictive !!!!   And by the way, the quantity here is more than what you need for this icecream, you can use the rest at coffee-time, or just eat them while you are watching a movie!


For the Dulce de Leche Icecream ( 800gr aprox), you will need:
 * unskimmed milk, 250gr
 * heavy cream, 250gr
 * dulce de leche, 400
 * egg yolks, 4
 * rhum, 5gr
 * food colouring (caramel colour) if your dulce de leche is not dark enough.




Whisk the yolks with the dulce de leche. Here I used maybe one of the best Argentinian dulces, dulce de leche Havanna !!!! Whoever has been to Argentina, has sure tasted the incredible "alfajores Havanna". If you don't have ready made dulce de leche, you can follow the recipe here. Check the colour. It should be really dark otherwise it won't look as dulce de leche...add some caramel food colouring if necessary.Then, put the milk and cream in a saucepan and take it to a boil. Then, proceed like for a "crème anglaise": pour a little bit of the cream/milk mixture on the yolks/dulce de leche, combine well, then pour the yolks mixture into the rest of the cream/milk in the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the cream coats the back of a spoon. Let it cool. Refrigerate overnight. Then, churn in  your ice-cream maker as indicated by manufacturer. Some minutes before it is ready, add in the caramelised almonds (you can cut them in halves if you want to). For extra indulgence, you can also fold in some teaspoonfuls of dulce de leche. Freeze.
Enjoy it!!!

Comments

Denise said…
Ice cream is perfect now! And dulce de leche as a flavour sounds wonderful!
Miriam said…
Qué bueno, qué bueno, qué bueno... a ver si llega el buen tiempo aquí y nos ponemos con los heladitos.
bunkycooks said…
This looks totally rich and decadent!
xoxo said…
I miss summer. It's "almost" winter here in the city of 3 seasons a day.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for thinking of us poor addicted blog gogglers...in spite of your bustling life. Or is it that YOU have become addicted too ?!

YKW
Roxan said…
Talk about heavenly and decadent! This looks wonderful, thank you.
Unknown said…
This looks divine. I have got to use my ice cream maker this year. Its collecting dust.
Please share some ice cream with me daaaaahling.
*kisses* HH
Unknown said…
I like your ice cream recipe and the almonds look great too! Great combination of flavors and textures.
OohLookBel said…
Your photos and recipes are gorgeous! Dulce de leche is one of those things that I could eat all the time :)
So I've made dulce de leche many times but I think I'll go get some from the S American shop in the market and make some icecream when the rain goes away!
Margo said…
This looks and sounds amazing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have visions of caramelized almonds dancing in my head tonight :)
Stella said…
Hey Cristina, I'm glad your'e back! I think I said that the other day, but I mean it (smile).
This sounds awesome. I love dulce de leche anything, and cold ice cream sounds perfect right now. The subtropical hollow is starting to feel like a sweltering, humid desert.
Oh, and I live in St. Petersburg, Florida a.k.a. my subtropical hollow!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Stella: Lucky you Stella !! I imagine you all tanned!! here I am, looking all pale..Give me a bit of sunshine anyday !!!

@ Margo: Yes, these almonds make havoc on my figure...can't stop eating them!

@ Anastasiastarz
@ Oohlookbel
Welcome to my blog and thank you !!!

@ everybody: Thanks for your lovely comments !!!
Shayma said…
Beautiful posts, Cristina. i dont alw comment but i love your posts when i see them. what a time in Bruges you had. drool-worthy photos
loved the gelato post
Barbara said…
I wonder how this compares with the burnt sugar ice cream that some of the bloggers have been making? (which I actually mentioned briefly in my post today)
Of course, I don't know how anything can compare to dulce de leche, just about my most favorite thing in the world!

It's time to start making some lovely ice creams, Cristina. So I'm copying yours and hopefully will eventually make both to compare! Be fun to have an ice cream party and let people judge!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Barbara:

I have never tried burnt sugar icecream, but I guess the taste must be stronger, closer to caramel...while dulce de leche is smoothier, creamier in my opinion...but good idea! we should make both and compare!
Thanks for your comment and idea!
Unknown said…
I would love to eat some...NOW!
Ciao Chow Linda said…
I have to try this recipe. It looks so wonderful. I remember eating dulce de leche ice cream in Buenos Aires and I was amazed at how many different varieties I found at an ice cream store called "Freddo." It was simply the best. But then again, I haven't tried your recipe yet.
Gaby said…
Gracias por la receta Cristina, la voy a probar y te cuento como salio!
Ambika said…
I think I can die for a scoop of that ice cream! But rather, I think I'll remain alive and make me some! That looks divine!!!!!!