How to make macarons... //My macaron nightmare


My macaron nightmare is probably the same as yours...We have all tried to make them..it seems to be incredibly easy, but these "creatures" seem to have a life of their own...Capricious beings !!!



But there is no better school than practice, so after a practical lesson on macaron-making..I decided that these stubborn French "devils" were going to face the "even more stubborn" Argentinian "challenger" on this side...and I made them, and made them again...tried the following week, and the next...and the "beasts" were finally tamed! Now, it is a 100% success story!! I feel proud!


To you, my recipe ! 


Basic Macaron Recipe (depending on size, you will get approx. 60 shells = 30 macarons)

almond flour, 188 gr
icing  sugar, 188 gr
egg whites, 70 gr


For the syrup:


granulated sugar, 188gr
water, 57gr
egg whites, 70gr




To make macarons, we use egg whites that have been kept in the fridge for at least one day...why? egg whites from fresh eggs have a firmer structure, they are less "souple", and for the process of "macaronage", that is folding the "tant pour tant" with the egg whites, "old" whites will lead us to a better result. Mind you! Remember to take the egg whites out of the fridge a few hours before starting so that they are at room temperature.
Process the almond flour and icing sugar (this is what in French culinary terms, you call the "tant pour tant", i.e. the mixture of these two ingredients in the same proportion, but be careful !!!! do not overdo this step, otherwise the almond could become oily! Sift. In a large bowl, fold the "tant pout tant" with the egg whites, and the food colouring (if needed). Remember that colours fade with baking so don't be afraid of having a colour too intense at first. Combine the ingredients well, briskly. Don't worry, nothing dangerous will happen at this stage!
Put the whites in the bowl of a stand-mixer. In a saucepan, bring the water and sugar to 115°C (use a candy thermometer). When your syrup has reached the 100°C, there, start whipping the egg whites slowly to soft peaks.The idea is the whites should be ready at the moment the syrup reaches the 115°C. Slowly, pour the syrup into the whites, and continue whipping until cool. Bravo! You have done an Italian Meringue!!!
Add one third of this meringue to your tant pour tant; combine everything well. Yes! don't be afraid of actually crushing your meringue, this is what you are supposed to do here!! Then yes, add the rest little by little, the final result? neither too firm, not too runny! Congratulations! you have finished the "macaronage"!!!!


Pipe the macarons (with a pastry bag fitted with a plain 1 cm tip) on a baking sheet with a Silpat (non-stick liner). (for this recipe, I made macarons of 4cm diameter ). Tip the baking sheet slightly, for an even final result. Let them sit until they are no longer sticky when you touch them lightly! Put them in the oven (150°C), after 5 minutes, take them out to turn the baking sheet around (for an even result) Bake 5' more. Times might vary slightly in different ovens! Take them out of the oven, let them rest on the Silpat (remove the baking sheet otherwise they will continue baking!) Desired result? Crisp outside, chewy inside...
Enjoy them!


NB: 1. The syrup should be folded with the whites at 118°C, this is why we remove it from the heat at 115°C....three degrees will be reached by the time you move the saucepan from the stove to the stand-mixer.
     2. If you use two baking sheets, instead of one (one on top of the other), much better !! You will prevent excessive drying....


Any questions?

Comments

Oh my godness, I don't know what's better, the recipe for macarons, the story behind it or the elegance of your design and awesome photography!!

Thank you for stopping by my place and leaving your lovely comment. It is astounding how passions drive people to faraway places!

Ciao
Eleonora
Roma Every Day
Chef Chuck said…
These macarons look irresistible!! Thank you for the pointers! Great Photos!
fromBAtoParis said…
Thanks a lot, Eleonora !!!!
We are half-italian here, so we will soon start to make all your pasta recipes....
How nerve-racking. I couldn't imagine the pressure. Glad you got the job. Do you still work there?
This week,I'm mustering courage to make macarons....and I hope to find my feet!!!!!!!! Thanks for the tips, I'll be trying this!
fromBAtoParis said…
Hi Julia,

No, that was back in Buenos Aires...now I live in Paris
Deana Sidney said…
Great story and beautiful photo... a fool-proof recipe for anything is a treasure!
fromBAtoParis said…
Thanks a lot, Lostpastremembered !!!!!
Unknown said…
Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. My macarons always have a hollow in the centre. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any ideas?
Anonymous said…
I absolutely love your keen eyes and creative visions on photography! Absolutely beautiful pictures! I also adore the gray background to contrast with the nice lavender/ purple macarons!

Macarons have always been on my mind as something for a professional baker to do. I haven't tried but reading so much about it sometimes makes me wonder if I could produce such an incredible macaron like the one you posted here! Maybe I'll gaina bit more courage after this post and see that I can at least see how I will "fail" at making them for once!!!

Thanks for sharing and for posting.
pigpigscorner said…
These are a pain to make! Yours look so pretty! Love the colour.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Heavenly Housewife: 3 ideas, have you tried the Italian meringue method? if not, may the oven is too hot? lower teh temperature and bake on two baking sheets...Thanks for your comment!

@ Thanks Anonymous !!! You also have a keen eye that appreciates details! Please, try the macarons..it is a question of trial and error...

@Pigpidscorner: Yes, at first, they are a pain in the neck, but then you feel so proud when you master them...Please, try !!
Working with a French Patisserie I've finally understood the process of making macarons.

Your macarons look lovely. I have some whites sitting in the fridge to make macarons this week!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Purple Foodie: Good luck !!!! You will see, once you learn the good technique...it is easy !!
Thanks
Mardi Michels said…
I went to Lenôtre whilst in Paris in December and did a workshop:

http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2009/12/graine-de-macarons-ecole-de-patisserie.html

Then I tried out the technique at home - it worked:

http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2010/01/mactweets-january.html


I am so glad I have found a technique that works for me - seems you have too!
bunkycooks said…
These are beautiful! I have read that the Italian meringue recipe tends to be more reliable. I will have to give it a try as my first attempt was with the standard method and was not so good. :( Thank you for the great tips!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ eatlivetravelwrite: Good for you too !!! I checked both posts ! Can I give you an extra tip? The paper parchment is oK when we do thousands of macarons, but the water stuff can be risky !!!! Why don't you make them on a Silpat? No sticking, no water...easier!
Thanks for your comment!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Bunkycooks: Yes, definitely, Italian meringue makes things easier, but we have to know how to make Italian meringue well !!!!! be careful with the sugar temperature....
Thanks for your comment!
Gasp - these are STUNNING! May I ask what shade/brand of food color you used?

:)
ButterYum
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Butter Yum: Yes, of course. It is "noir brillant", the manufacturer is "Colorants Bretons" , and I bought it in "G Detou", 58 rue Tiquetonne, Paris.
Thanks for your comment !
Nico said…
muy buenos los macarones, siempre me dieron mucho trabajo y los resultados no son siempre los mismos, nunca intente la manera de hacerlos con merengue italiano, la proxima intentare con tu receta haber que onda.
Jencrafted said…
I love the color of your macarons! Have you tried the French meringue versions? Thanks for the tips and pointers!
blinks.of.life said…
500 macarons a day! wow.. love reading your pastry experience
D. W. Plates said…
I absolutley love the colour of your macarons! I made a batch about a week ago that turned out (they were good enough for home, I'd be mortified to sell them professionally). I thought I would give them another shot and it turned out horribly, they were flat, crunchy and the feet didn't even attempt to materialize. I'll make them yet again, I"m sure!
Miriam said…
He descubierto este post en los anuncios del Daily Special, qué buena la historia! Es tan buena que parece inventada, jaja. Esto de los macarons, a pesar de tus sabios consejos, es algo con lo que no sé si me atreveré alguna vez...
Anonymous said…
Good day!!! You're purple macarons are fabulous... I've tried making them before and I got my "feet".. I was so happy, but the shells weren't very crispy. They were kind of fragile... Could you tell me what I did wrong?
Matthew Leung said…
Looks fabulous! And great blog! Keep it up :D
Vicki Bensinger said…
Ever since spending some time in Paris 8 years ago I've wanted to make Macarons. I've searched for recipes online and all that I've found are in european measurements which I find very difficult to convert to U.S. measurements. Do you have any suggestions?

Do you use a scale for your measurements?

Also is there a book you would recommend on making Macarons?

By the way, I almost forgot to mention that your photos are so beautiful and your Macarons look incredibly delicious! I especially like the pistachio ones from a previous post. Thank you for sharing and sorry for all the questions.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Vicki Besinger:

As you must know, pastry is a precise science...so a scale is a must...I'm not sure but I think scales always come in metrical system (maybe not in USA?) There are millions of books ab macarons, but in my opinion, once you master the basic technique, you can do whatever you want to...for fancy ones, Pierre Hermé!
Thanks for your comment and welcome to my blog!
Oh my this look so good. Macarons have always intimated me. I'm going to try this recipe for sure! Btw love ur styling and blog!
Anonymous said…
Cristina, en primer lugar te felicito por el EXCELENTE BLOG, las EXTRAORDINARIAS FOTOGRAFIAS y por la calidez con que relatás las recetas y tus vivencias con ellas. Soy de Buenos Aires y te conocí gracias a una persona que te conoce y que yo conocí en un cumple de una amiga que tenemos en común. No recuerdo el nombre de quien te conoce, pero pronto te lo diré. Quisiera preguntarte algo sobre los "macarons" en especial sobre las claras de huevo. Vos decís que las claras de huevos "viejitas" son mejores o que cuanto más frescas mejor?. Mi inglés no es muy bueno, pero no logré entender bien ese apartado. Por lo pronto te digo que soy un AMANTE DE LOS MACARONS, siempre que tuve oportunidad de viajar a Francia los comí y se lo sabrosos que son. He intentado hacerlos, pero o salían muy secos, o muy soft o quebradizos. En cuanto empiece a hacer tu receta te contaré que resultados obtuve. Gracias por compartir tus conocimientos y experiencias con nosotros.
Ezequiel
emr.06@hotmail.com
Anonymous said…
Hi Cristina! well, saturday was perfect thanks to your macarons recipe...I tried and result was total success! no cracks, no hollows in the middle, almost perfect... Will improve technique and practice till full command. anyway would very much appreciate your tip on how to store them...I left them on a side table (almost as a trophy...he!)and next day the were sticky and fixed on the plate... could you help?
Enrique