A Summer Salad / Antiques at the Isle sur la Sorgue-Provence (Part II)



Are you interested in the world of antiques...or at least, old beautiful objects? So this is the place for you! The Isle sur la Sorgue is the "Antiquités et Brocante" Capital of France. Ever since I got to know about this place that I wanted to come here....not because I buy antiques...these things can be far too expensive in France, but I love looking at old objects, imagining the life-stories behind them....


I also love admiring the work of artisans, the passion transmitted in their handicrafts: hand-carved wood where you actually see how the knife passed, how many times....




but as it is always the case with me, I go to places on the wrong date! So, all the streets stalls typical of this village were not there because this is something organised on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays!....Thursdays for professionals....and I was there on a Friday !!!
But never mind, because the Isle sur la Sorgue is a beautiful place, with or without the street antique vendors!! Actually, it is also called "Petit Venice" because the river opens in little canals, where you can find nowadays waterside cafés like this one.....


It was very hot...The cicadas were crazy announcing a torrid day....et oui, people were right...it was a good idea to freshen your feet at least in the water!


We had a look at the market stalls....I always find things to buy ;D


Typical Provençal fabrics....


....different varieties of nougat (turron) from neighbouring Montélimar...


......authentic soap from Marseille!


Shops where the important thing is not what they sell, but the shop itself, its architecture!


Time went by without our realizing, but our stomachs couldn't be fooled, so we started thinking where to eat....and what....something "light", we said!


The "petits farcis" were a good idea...what are they? just zucchinis (preferably round), tomatoes, bell peppers, or eggplant stuffed with what you want: minced meat, sausage, rice, onions.....But the problem was I wanted to eat by the water.....


Yes, there!!! Very pleased with ourselves (my husband and I), we ordered a summer salad...


The menu read: lettuce, tomatoes, melon, ham and roasted pork...."Great" I said..."Yes, something light" said my husband.....With this enormous salad sprinked with Rosé de Provence, we ended up like two anacondas who had just gulped down a sheep! Actually, I didn't eat the radishes...they are said to be fattening...LOL!

And this is the end of my Provençal tour....for this summer! La Provence is addictive...you never get enough!

Comments

Chef Chuck said…
Antiques always intrigue me! That is a cute little place to visit!!
Plus, that salad must have been tasty:)
Thank you for sharing!
Kath said…
Beautiful photos! I have never been to France, but would love to go. Thanks for sharing.
Unknown said…
I love those soaps. I love collecting soaps. Most girls are into perfumes, but for me, its lovely soaps.
Delicious looking salad.
*kisses* HH
Cookin' Canuck said…
I look at all of these amazing antique shops and I think one thing - blog props! It looks like a buyer's paradise and that salad looks like the perfect way to refuel after a day of wandering through shops.
Unknown said…
Beautiful photos, love your salad, it looks so good. A few years back I bought a few prints at Isle sur La Sorgue, such a fun place to check out, especially if you love french antiques:-)
Gaby said…
Hi Cristina! I discovered your blog last week and I am now completely addicted! Lovely photos of provence, I am glad you had a good time. France is very interesting.
I am from Argentina too but live in England.. almost neighbours!(shame my town is not as nice as Paris! LOL! Will be in touch soon
Not that interested in antiques, but cheese and salads are a different matter!
Adelina said…
I sooooo want to be here. The photos are breathtaking and unbelievable. I wish one day.... Thanks for the teaser!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody: For all those who yearn of visiting France, I hope your dream comes true some day... I am sure it will!
Thanks for your valuable contribution to my blog !!!!
I adore antiques - wish I could buy as many as my heart desires *sigh*

Those kilogram blocks of soap are amazing!! I have a soap fetish - it's the one thing my home is never out of LOL That salad is almost large enough to lie down in ;)
Barbara said…
I'm sorry you missed the street stalls, Cristina, but it lookd like you had a wonderful time. I love your photos!
I could browse for hours in antique shops.
Stella said…
I do love the world of antiques and lovely things, Cristina! I try not to get too caught up in it, well, since I can't buy many things (smile). They are wonderful though, especially these things from Provence. Se puede ver la artesania y la calidad de las cosas (sonrisas)...
Espero que estes bien, mi Cristina...
Stella
Claudia said…
The canal, the cheese, the fabrics, the salad... what a delicious town. I spent time in Aix-en-Provence decades ago and it is still the sweetest of memories.
Roadtrek Girl said…
Have I told you I just love your blog...and Isle sur la Sorgue brings back so many memories..we stumbled upon it back in 2004 and fell in love...someday we will return..beautiful photos
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Denise: I see many people love soaps....me too, and oil balms!

@ Gracias, mi Stellita! No te preocupes, I don't have the money either to buy antiques, but I love looking at them!

@ Barbara: Luckily women seem to share this passion for just browsing....independently of not being able to buy... Thanks for the comment!

@ Claudia
@ Seattle Pastry Girl

I'm glad my post brought back so many nice memories in you....Thanks for your comments!
Ron Merlin said…
Love your blog. Such excellent work.