The Bouillabaisse - Marseille and its Old Port - Restaurant Review: Une Table au Sud



Et oui, when we say Marseille, we think of bouillabaisse, which could be defined as a fish soup or stew. It is supposed to be made with at least five different types of fish, top condition being fish has to be very fresh...catch of the day! I learnt about this, walking along Marseille's old port...one petit bistro after another, with the typical chalk boards announcing Bouillabaisse and explaining to foreigners what the dish with this intriguing name was about!!


But, we decided to eat it at Une Table au Sud, the restaurant by étoilé chef Lionel Lévy, who transforms the traditional bouillabaisse soup into something original, creative,  elegant but without losing its traditional flavour..!
All the ingredients are present here: the soup (in the verrine with the espuma, and in the bottle!), fish that has been grilled, instead of boiled, to preserve a maximum of flavour, la "rouille" ( a kind of mayonnaise made with garlic -of course- we ARE in Provence!!) (recipe here) is hidden inside these potato cilinders, topped with crumble and a parmesan tuile....
"Un régal" (exquisite!)
But this was not all...before we had these zucchini flowers stuffed with mozzarella and bitter cocoa....



Finally, for dessert, this red fruits coulis, with a mousse of "brousse du Rove", and small peas icecream! The brousse de Rove is a variety of goat cheese, produced in Rove, a small village next to Marseille...very often counterfeited (made with cow milk!), it is a delicacy to be found only in upscale restaurants.... 




Audacious combination with this pea icecream, bringing a taste of green vegetables to this sweet treat. I loved the crusty pea skins!!




The service was excellent, ample rooms to dine in considerable privacy...great view of the Vieux Port of Marseille, plus a reasonable price...An option to recommend, in my humble opinion, if one day you visit France's second biggest city, after Paris.


Comments

It all looks stunning! Thanks for the review!
Claudia said…
What a heavenly meal - from start to finish. and the photos made my heart beat faster - happily.
Unknown said…
Everything looks so good. I just adore stuffed zucchini flowers, they are a real favourite of mine.
*kisses* HH
Unknown said…
The dishes look like little works of art! I would probably just gawk for a while longer before eating them! Great review and post, Cristina. Many thanks.
A gorgeous meal - I LOVE the dessert. The colours are simply stunning. Your reviews and posts give me so much vicarious pleasure, and almost as much envy ;)
Stella said…
Oh my Cristina! This is a wonderful review. The food looks amazing, and I want that dessert with the squash blossoms. How enticing is that?!
Hey, and you know I have family in Marseille. I've never been there though:(
Hope you all are relaxing in these final days of summer...
Un Beso,
Stella
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody:

Thank you very much !!!! I am glad you all liked the review... I guess bouillabaisse is not easy to find ( sometimes we don t get it even in Paris!)so it was my opportunity to show something "new"....
Thanks again! You are all amazing!
Gourmantic said…
Such a creative bouillabaisse. And what a view!
bunkycooks said…
How beautiful! I was on the coast of France last October (In St. Tropez) and although it is not the same, it still is very similar in appearance (to me). The food looks fabulous...I am ready to go back again! :)