A Foodblogger's Mania: The Before and After of a Summer Salad



Does this happen to you too? Ever since I started blogging, I can't help doing this....every time I see a dish, the photo of a dish....I begin to think, to dream....how would I do it? It is not always a question of doing it better, sometimes it is your personality that goes with the new arrangement, "make-up" of a dish.....
If you follow my blog regularly....(thank you for that!!!!), or if you just bumped into it by this sort of "roulette" that it is a Google search.....and you saw me in the Isle sur la Sorgue and the world of antiques....you must remember I ate a huge summer salad (Ok, if you don't remember, which is normal, click here!)


Nothing wrong with that salad, which was a splash of colour and a burst of flavour! What is more, the salad was more than any tourist would expect: tasty, healthy, generous helping, good price....what else? As a client myself, I was very satisfied!!!!


But I felt some changes were needed: the melon slices, sweet as honey as they might be, were too thick in my opinion...the pork fillet had been cut in symmetrical slices, too geometrical...a bit of imperfection was needed there, curves to counterbalance so many straight lines...!


This is why I decided to arrange slices in a sort of tower, providing some vertical dimension to a flat scene, the playful ribbons of melons add visual movement...even if, we have to admit, in this new salad, the melon will be what the French call a "soupçon" (something in very little quantity) a hint of a flavour...a delicate touch! The vinaigrette has some honey in it, the pork fillet some mustard "à l'Ancienne" (the old-fashioned way), that means not creamy, but with the grains of mustard...Parma ham, radishes and cherry tomatoes, just like in the original version.


If you are very hungry, you will probably choose the other salad...Mind you! If I have to be honest, I have to confess that after I finished with the photos, I still thought I should have put less (obsessed by the "less is more"?) My daughter C, only person in my family that listens to me in my kitchen musings said: "Oh, mummy...less? what do we eat then?"
What do you think? What would you have done? I would like to know your opinion....

Comments

Unknown said…
I think you are a perfectionist, and perfectionists are always looking to improve everything, which is odd because I find your pictures to be so beautiful in the first place.
I do like the changes you've made though.
It also depends on the angle you take your picture from (though I am by no means a photographer, I hate taking pictures of my food, all I want to do is eat it LOL).
Have a great weekend.
*kisses* HH
Torviewtoronto said…
Lovely presentation and pictures
Frank said…
Both salads look gorgeous to me... What a delicious way to end the summer!
Evan @swEEts said…
What a beautiful dish! Your pictures are fantastic.. I do the same thing when I see dishes or eat out.. now that I have a blog I feel like I'm inspired by everything!
Claudia said…
They both look wonderful. I am thinking I should take lessons from your presentations - the - textures, colors and size so artfully placed. My eye does zero in on the prosciutto and melon...
Anonymous said…
I always find myself critiquing my meals and photographs more than anyone else. I think it's just what we do when we put out name to it :) I like both of your salads!
Fran said…
Wow, that was easy. I like yours! The simplicity of your plating made the dish look more appetizing. I wanted to dive into those ribbons of melon and the pork looked simply divine! Now I need to dig up some pork and make this salad with the melon I have in the fridge.

Well, tomorrow, I suppose. It's almost midnight here. :)
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody: I see we all share the same mania...That's good. I'm not alone !!!!

@ Fran: I hope you enjoy it! Have a great Sunday!!!!
Barbara said…
You have always had an eye for balance, Cristina. I love your photos and do understand what you mean.
From a photographers viewpoint, I love your changes. Isn't simpler always better?
I can't eat an enormous salad anyway. What I love is a taste of everything...in small portions.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Barbara:

Thanks you for your appreciation, Barbara. Coming from you, I feel honoured.
Julieta said…
Qué ganas de tener melones ya y hacerla. Bueno, tendré que esperar al verano.
Gorgeous! Love those paper-thin slices of melon!
Hi, Cristina,Congrats. You have a very nice and charming blog. I've just added it in my blogroll. Keep in touch. Many regards from Buenos Aires. Ana
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Ana, de cocina amateur:

Gracias Ana! Excellente trabajo el tuyo para La Nacion.
Te sigo por "Twitter"
Un beso grande,
Cristina
Stella said…
Hey Cristina! Almost every time I see an interesting dish or one I think I could make better (smile), I start imagining how I would make it. And you've done that here for sure. This summer salad looks so delicious! Did you know salad is my favorite food?
p.s You can come to Florida and be pampered by me anytime you want;). I do that for my Mom and friends all the time(healthy meals, massages, naps, etc)-they love it!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Stella:

You do massage too? What am I doing here??? I'm packing !!!
Thanks Stella !
Gaby said…
Hi Cristina, I have the same problem with certain hand made crafts.. I can't stop until I crack the code and do it myself..specially if there is no instructions about..the famous "I can do that" bounces around my head from corner to corner!
Anyway..The salad looks divine, and love the photo of the radishes on the scales, did you take it?
Saluditos.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Gaby and the Magic Carpet

Yes, all the photos in my blog are mine, unless otherwise stated. I bought the scales in a garage sale, while living in Pau, in the south of France...
Thanks for dropping by from England!
I have to agree that a little imperfection, a little chaos, makes life sweeter, and more interesting ;)

Both your salads are sublime - now you are making me think I am not paying enough attention to my photos *YIKES* ROFL
Magic of Spice said…
I think it is perfect just like this...the arrangement is gorgeous as well as the photos :)