Mother's Day in Paris - My "Moelleux au Chocolat"



Well, last Sunday (May 29th) was Mother's Day in France. By mere coincidence, my nephew who lives in Germany, his girl-friend and a friend had come to visit us, so I was particularly spoiled! Because of some long family history, this boy, now a young man, grew up partly under my care, so it made me very happy to have him home on Sunday....
Then, I felt tempted to say "nothing special" but no...Thank you God, for giving me this "nothing special"...my husband getting up early, and hearing him say: "I'm going to buy two baguettes"....full of enthusiasm, and returning with this beautiful bouquet, chosen by my daughters...(I had not noticed they had also left...we were so many at home that morning, and I was busy talking with my guests....)



My girls chose these roses, called "Tango", in honor of their Argentinian mother...Oh! I wish you could smell the perfume....



and then they gave me this beautiful "tablier", and I DID feel like a queen the whole day....
plus, this bottle of Miss Dior Chérie...It's incredible how girls pay attention to all the things you say, even in passing by...They heard me saying how much I loved this perfume, even if it is a bit "girly", with its scents of caramelized popcorn, mandarine... but I like it!



They heard me singing the song like in the commercial. Do they show it around the world or is it only here, in France? Watch it here..I love it!
My teenage son contributed to the present "donating" from his "pocket money", but his sisters complained that he had not given as much...(boys will be boys...)
My husband prepared his specialty: home-made pasta with pesto sauce !!! 


and I made this cake, that has become sort of my signature cake, as you must have noticed if you follow my posts regularly...Here, it is a "moelleux au chocolat" (molten chocolate cake) with the mirror glaze, explained by me in a previous post. There are some macaron figurines for decoration...



I served it with some "crème anglaise" just in case, we were "running short of  calories"....Some French champagne, some Italian espressos, lots of anecdotes, laughter, boisterous family we are...!! (we can't deny our Spanish/Italian ancestry)
Late in the afternoon, our visitors left, I sorted out everything, and then, lay on my couch, to watch a movie: one of those melodramas in Victorian England, Pride & Prejudice type...Keira Knightley, those movies that my husband loathes!!! but he did not complain this time (it was Mother's day after all!...but he silently glided his way to his bedroom to watch a rugby match...it was drizzling in Paris...
And then, I looked away from the TV set, to see the table, the flowers, my daughter's cotton jacket resting carelesly on the back of a chair, and I felt very fortunate...everything has been so simple and yet so joyous...



I decided to take a picture, to capture the moment...maybe in some years, when the kids grow up and leave home, I will cherish this photograph of one Mother's day, in Paris, when I was the Queen for one day...with my cloud of scent, Miss Dior Chérie, and my roses "Tango".


For the recipe, please go here....



Moelleux au Chocolat


 * dark chocolate (minimum 55% cacao), 200gr
 * butter, 200gr
 * icing sugar, 60gr
 * granulated sugar, 60gr
 * eggs, 5
 * cornstarch, 40gr
 * salt, a pinch

Pre-heat the oven 180°C. Butter a 18/20/22cm ring mold. Wrap the bottom in aluminum foil. Place it on a baking sheet. Chop the chocolate coarsely. Add the butter in pieces. Melt in a "bain Marie". Combine well. Pass the mixture to a stand mixer. Incorporate the sugars and salt. Then, add the eggs, one by one, whisking constantly. Finally, by hand, fold in the sifted  cornstarch. Pour immediately in the ring mold. Bake for 22'/ 24'. Let it cool before removing from the mold. If you are going to glaze it, it is better to refrigerate it for at least 12 hours.



Comments

Nish said…
Oh that's really sweet! Girls always know how to make mommy happy on occasions like these! I see that cake which I am yet to make! Soon soon! Have a happy mother's day!
What great gifts! That cake looks so tempting...

Cheers,

Rosa
Chef Chuck said…
What a lovely Sunday Surprise!
The flowers the food looks so inviting ~ And with all your loved ones! I like the commercial especially the her glasses! Good things happen to good people,like you!
Enjoy:)
Charlotte said…
Happy mother's day to you! I think that's a perfect way to celebrate mother's day!:) your girls are so sweet :)
Unknown said…
What a wonderful mother's day celebration. It is so wonderful to feel loved and appreciated by the people you look after :D.
Your cake looks too good to be true, its absolutely beautiful.
Happy mother's day.
*kisses* HH
Sounds like you had a lovely day and what an enjoyable post to read. The cake looks amazing !
Lori Lynn said…
Oh Cristine - what an absolute darling post! I have to keep my eye out for Tango roses. Gorgeous!

Happy Mother's Day to you, one fortunate lady!
LL
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing the lovely photos of your mother's day bouquet and your moelleux au chocolat looks incredible!
Magic of Spice said…
Just beautiful! Lovely post...
Jean said…
What a beautiful glimpse into your special day. Love the story and what a decadent cake--it's breathtaking! :-) Thanks for sharing.
Cristina said…
A very happy, memorable and beautiful post of your special day! That's an amazing looking molten chocolate cake with all those colorful and fresh berries.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody:

I thank you all, immmensely, for all your words!
I'm so happy to see there are so many people out there who still appreciate the joys of simple life!
Thanks again...
Un beso,
Cristina
Barbara said…
What a memorable Mother's Day, Cristina!
The bouquet is absolutely gorgeous and I wish I could have sniffed their fragrance.
But that cake, that is the winner. You always do such a lovely job presenting your food. This is just perfect!
Roxan said…
Beautiful beautiful!

By the way, Christina, I booked my trip to Argentina! Well, my round trip flights only. I'll fill in my hotels and intra-country flights when it gets closer. I'll be there for a full fourteen days... so excited.
Anonymous said…
What a fabulous Mother's Day and what an amazing cake! I'm visiting Paris in July - any off the beaten path must dos or favorite restaurants?
That looks like one of the most amazing chocolate treats I've seen! I wish I was the one getting that for mother's day :p
Cherine said…
Wow how beautiful!!!
Oh Cristina!! What a lovely day you had!! So much nicer than my Mother's Day! You see, I have 3 BOYS - add that to one husband and you're lucky if you don't get a disaster ;)

The cake is drop dead gorgeous. I would be afraid to bake in front of you :P

I want an apron like that too!!!
Anthony said…
Salooouuute, t'es recettes elles sont trooop bonne !! je les adorent ! je connait un site où ils organisent des concours de recettes : www.candyss.fr Tu peux gagner des coffrets cadeaux wonderbox. Je suis sur que si tu joues tu gagne !! Il suffit que tu postes ta recette avec l'éditeur de recette, et le tour et joué.
Stella said…
Oh mi favorita, lo siento por no visitar mas temprano.
This is a beautiful line up, Cristina. Which is probably why your'e on the Top 9 over at F.B. (smile). I really love the pasta picture by the way. There is something very rustic and lovely about it.
p.s. todavia necesito escribirte, ay!
pigpigscorner said…
Wow, such wonderful gifts! The cake sounds awesome!
Magdalena said…
Hello; in my French family the mother's day is also celebrated with cakes...and since my husband is a chocolate guy, he always prepare (or buy) a chocolate cake, usually with some mousse...Look delicious!
Beautiful Top 9 pictures. Congrats!
Congratulations on Top 9!
Laurita75 said…
Congratulations :)
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody: Thanks a lot!!

@Magdalena: Thank you for ALL your comments

@ mi Stellita !!! (asi te llamarian en Argentina) Mi marido se puso muy contento porque te gustaron SUS pastas...Gracias !!!
dana said…
hi, cristina. i tried to subscribe to your feed, and it's not working. i wish there was an alternative, like google connect or fb via networked blogs. i only just discovered your blog and i'm enjoying it very much!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Dana: Thanks for your words !!! First time somebody tells me about a problem. I'll see to it...in the meanwhile, can I ask you to be patient and use Twitter? Thanks !
Anca said…
its amazing !
Unknown said…
Hi Cristina, I have a question for you: Is this cake molten or liquid in the center, or just fudgy and cakey? I desperately want to bake this gorgeous cake for my boyfriend's birthday, but as it will be served at a restaurant after dinner, I would prefer NOT to have a molten/liquid center to avoid a mess. If it is indeed molten, do you think your "mirror glaze" would work with some other chocolate cake recipe?
Rebecca said…
Hi Cristina, I have a question for you: Is this cake molten or liquid in the center, or just fudgy and cakey? I desperately want to bake this gorgeous cake for my boyfriend's birthday, but as it will be served at a restaurant after dinner, I would prefer NOT to have a molten/liquid center to avoid a mess. If it is indeed molten, do you think your "mirror glaze" would work with some other chocolate cake recipe?
fromBAtoParis said…
Hi Rebecca,

You can go ahead !!! It is very moist, but not molten...in fact no cake stays molten once you put it in the fridge...so perfect for your occasion...
On the other hand, yes, the mirror glaze can be put on any cake...
I'm sure your boyfriend will love it !!! Good girl !! =D
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Rebecca: You can go ahead !! It will be moist but not liquid...In any case, no cake stays molten after you have put it in the fridge..
Yes, you can use the mirror glaze with any cake....but this moelleux is really heaven-like!
Have a great party !!!!! (Do publicity to my blog! ;D
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Rebecca: You can go ahead !! It will be moist but not liquid...In any case, no cake stays molten after you have put it in the fridge..
Yes, you can use the mirror glaze with any cake....but this moelleux is really heaven-like!
Have a great party !!!!! (Do publicity to my blog! ;D
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Rebecca: You can go ahead !! It will be moist but not liquid...In any case, no cake stays molten after you have put it in the fridge..
Yes, you can use the mirror glaze with any cake....but this moelleux is really heaven-like!
Have a great party !!!!! (Do publicity to my blog! ;D

Popular Posts