Culinary Analysis of a Picnic - Prix de Diane - Chantilly, France




Ok, first things first !!! This is not any picnic...if you think that the average French normally has a picnic like this, you are wrong...This past Sunday, June 13th, (with awful weather for a change!) was the Prix de Diane (Diane Prize) at the Hippodrome de Chantilly...yes, next to the Château de Chantilly, there where Eva Longoria married Tony Parker...a few kilometers from Paris.
Probably, following the example of Ascot, in England, the Prix de Diane is the occasion for French bourgeoisie to show itself and see the others....the sinequanon condition? a conspicuous hat, gorgeous dresses or suits, and  great picnic food and drinks...!
And the first question for a foodblogger is...what do you eat there? 
Well, you can take your own food....you could buy a picnic lunch there, or there was a "gastronomic" restaurant offering a menu at 185 euros per person (clearly this option was out for me!)
So I quite liked the idea of buying the picnic there ( I had been cooking a lot at home for my blog...), and besides I could not resist not buying the "hat boxes" specially made for the ocassion, not to carry your hat, but containing a very French idea of a picnic...Let's see !!


Don't you find the boxes lovely? Apparently, four  people were going to accompany this elegant lady in her skirt and hat in Toile de Jouy...
Now, what was IN the boxes???



1. a bamboo basket, with cherry tomatoes, and Noirmoutier salt (Have you seen that I am not the only person obsessed with "fleur de sel" and all that...?)
2. Mini Penne Rigate Salad, with "confit" tomatoes, and little Mozzarella balls.
3. a "viennois" bread sandwich, with corn grains, chicken (probably), egg, butter and mustard.
4. "roots" chips: carrots, parsnip, and beetroot (no potato chips...! why? it's not chic enough?
5. the "perle d'abricot" must have been a kind of apricot mousse (since they indicate it's airy!) and I am guessing because finally I couldn't get a box for myself because boxes have to be reserved beforehand !!! (yes, here is when I find so much organization exasperating!), or to get one of the few boxes left, you had to join a line and wait for hours !!! (How is it possible that there was not a box reserved for Cristina, the GREAT Parisian blogger??? ;D
6. a raspberry financier, cooked in a pine cocotte lined with parchment paper.
7. some cookies "sablé" type
Included in the basket: a bottle of mineral water Evian (of course!, not the cheaper mineral water you buy in the supermarket...), a  napkin, a "vinaigrette" (olive oil, balsamic vinegar), bamboo cutlery set, a paper napkin. You had a choice of red or rosé wines, 7/12 euros the bottle.

I would like to know your opinion about this basket. Do you like what was there to eat? Do you consider it was enough? How would it have been in your country? 

Now, let's analyse what people has brought themselves, from their homes, their idea of a picnic....
Well, these people clearly went all out in their picnic efforts and they really deserve the first prize !!


You know that I have a soft spot for the esthetical presentation of food, so I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this!! the Dior pink tablecloth, the spurs !! gracefully tied together with a ribbon...the flowers, candles, little pink glasses as flower vases...the cutlery...
Oh, SO beautiful !!! I wanted to eat here !!! (I was so hungry...!)
Now, what were they going to eat? well, In the foreground, there seems to be a home-made onion tart, to the left, ham (not the supermarket type!), some little tarts (bought in the supermarket or Picard!!), home-made salads !!! (I think one is baby spinach leaves, confit tomatoes...), baguettes !!!!, some cakes (probably not sweet), salmon....


Then on paper, a pâté de campagne, and what seems to be a "mousse de canard" (duck mousse (I love the texture of this mousse, nice to use as a spread, not as consistent as the "foie gras"), to the right, there seems to be a home-made pissaladière (a kind of tart or pizza, from Nice, made with anchovies, black olives, and onion)...For dessert, cupcakes !!! (the American influence everywhere). They seem to have bought something like macarons...(What a shame!! Havent't they followed my recipe??!!) As for the drinks, champagne, white and rosé wines...(the bottles of water rest unopened...for the time being!)

Let's look at their neighbors !!


The two ladies in red seem to be engaged in "intense" gossiping...Food has not been very important for them...There seems to be a tarte tatin, some cherry tomatoes, or cherries...probably, they had already finished eating a pie of some kind....Drinks? Champagne and white wine...bottle of water, stays unopened here too...for the time being!


These incredibly elegant ladies have brought several salads; they seem to be eating a "verrine" (something served in little glasses, here plastic ones, containing what could be an asparagus mousse...or something like that!), there seems to be fresh fruit...now, the ham directly from the supermarket...that's a "faux pas"...Red wine, champagne....the bottles of water stay unopened...for the time being!


People thought about all the details: Monsieur has brought something to keep his champagne cold....cherry tomatoes again, radish, juices...and then Madame, to the right, the quintessence of French elegance !!!! so chic in her simple outfit (less is more!) I think she has a badge...she must have won a prize...for sure, it was French charm! (btw: Monsieur also deserved a prize!)


Is Madame N°2 really engaged in a phone-call, or did she just want to make me green with envy at her pearls !!! I want that dress for this summer !!! (too) AND her étole...too !! Have you noticed the incredible number of baguettes in all groups?? Who said bread is fattening? These people couldn't be fitter !!!


I couldn't see what these young people were eating, but they clearly deserved a photo...Sweet   Birth of Youth !!!! (Do you like Tennessee Williams?) 
While I was busy concentrating on this "culinary analysis" of a picnic, the "scientific" conclusion about all this, concocted by my husband, is that he had never seen so many beautiful girls together in France !! (ah, men...no comments!)


The dog has a right to drink too, doesn't he? (How lovely!!!)


Some people preferred to sit, at the champagne bar, to drink while eating cherry tomatoes....


and of course, macarons !!! We ARE in France, after all...!


Et oui !!! Chic people don't come to picnics with their food in supermarket plastic bags...it has to be "comme il faut" (as it should be). Madame has chosen a picnic "suitcase" to match her dress !!

Got a little windy? Hair dishevelled?  Don't worry !! There are hairdressers here....


Homesick for "la Provence"? We have brought a lavender field, just for you !!!



For dessert? icecream !! (it was supposed to be a hot afternoon, though nice weather has deserted us a long time ago!) Now, icecream with Chantilly (whipped) cream on top !!! This is Chantilly, and the most famous of creams was created here !!


Now, THE thing I loved the most from all this social gathering was to see this old Renault 4 truck, this is the other France (my favourite), the simple France...the France that with its hard work sustained the other....rich in traditions, excelling like nobody in gastronomy, in "savoir-faire" (to know how to do things well)...Without them, the others wouldn't have existed, to THEM my homage, and all my respect and admiration!



PS: I want to thank all the "participants" of this post... They saw me taking the photos, since I don't have a professional camera, so I was pretty close to them...yet they didn't seem to mind... Thanks a lot! I would like to add that NEVER would I have produced such incredible picnic food...and I would have never been SO elegant..! Congratulations to all !!!


Please !!!! There are some food questions I would like to make you...
They are here....


If you are so kind, I would like you to give me your opinion about this...


1. What did you think about the eating habits of these people? 
2. Would a picnic have had the same type of food in your country? In what way would it have been different?
3. Do you consider that what these people prepared was healthy or not? 
4. Almost all seemed to be in shape...Do you think this is food related?


Thanks for answering this with a comment ! =D



Comments

Chef Chuck said…
What a nice gathering! That pink table cloth had a beautiful spread! I also enjoyed the old truck!!
I agree the lady's of France made there mark!!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful photo's, they gave a good sense of that lovely day:)
Miriam said…
I can't believe it! I wouldn't have been able to refrain myself from snapping everything had I been there. Regarding the menu... I find it awesome. Savory pies and patés... yum. Though a few salads wouldn't have hurt anybody. In Spain you can't miss Spanish tortilla in a picnic. And pasta salads are popular, I hate them though.
Ciao Chow Linda said…
It doesn't matter what they were eating - they all looked so sensational. What a fashion feast for the eyes. In the U.S. it would be fried chicken and oreos - not those fabulous macarons.
Liren said…
Exquisite! This was such a wonderful post - from the stunning and vibrant and perfectly composed picnic spread, to the more humble, it was all such a lovely study of people and food!! And my mouth just dropped when I saw the hairdressers :) Ah, the French know how to picnic, that is for sure!
Unknown said…
What a divine post. I never knew about this event. I want to go. I must tell Hubby to buy me a hat that is suitably fabulous.
The Dior table cloth was to die for. Would I feel comfortable eating my greasy nibbles on it though? Probably not.
I love what was in the basket, but I also love the creativity and seeing what other people made from home. I think I'd make my own so that I could have exactly what I like.
As for being in shape, what I hear is that French women really restrict their diets a lot. They do eat wonderful foods, but extremely tiny portions of it. Is that true? I find doing that very difficult. I have so little self control, but I go to the gym quite a bit.
I think baguettes are healthy and delicious. They have no fat. Lets not forget, bread has been around way longer than us, but obesity is new. Its what goes on the baguettes that make us fat.
*kisses* HH
fromBAtoParis said…
@ H Housewife:Yes, you are right !! French women eat everything: chocolate, cream BUT in small quantities!
I belong to your club...when I love sth, I cannot stop..same with bread...I eat bread alone, though!
Ah, French women don't exercise much...they walk!
Loved this post! The photos are great fun to pursue. I think lavish hats would make any picnic better!

I'm under the impression that the french eat less and walk more. So it's not so much about what you eat, as how much...and your activity level. We try to eat "healthy" most of the time, but you also have to allow yourself some little luxuries here and there. That's what the gym is for!
Sherry said…
Love your site. I imagine it would be impossible to take a bad photograph in Paris. I’ll keep reading along.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ A Spicy Perspective: I have visited your country only twice, so I can't say much...but I was there las April and I was impressed (not positively) by the huge proportions in servings....One has to get used to eating less...the body does not need that much !!! but it is difficult to change eating habits...Keeping active is also the answer...walking more!
As always I enjoyed reading your posts :) Picnic's here are always an affair :) I remember going to one last year on the champ de mars and there was an candelabra (si, si) the layout wonderful and the food amazing. It does take the simple picnic to another level.

True French women eat everything and less of it, but its a dying 'art'. In the last few years everyone has been counting calories, low fat products etc etc that its lost some of the retro glamour ? Maybe I'm wrong but in the last 8 years living here there has been a shift.

The hat boxes were definitely a great idea !
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Wheels & Lollipops: Well, I don't know...my French friends don't count calories...but probably, since they are my age, that is, probably older than you...they belong to another generation...!
Thanks for your generous comments!
Barbara said…
Oh Cristina! What fun. I loved your photos, and the food! Divine.
And the hats! I always get so depressed when I see how little we Americans wear hats. Everytime I go to Europe I buy a hat and wear it over there. Then it's stuck in a closet over here!

French women walk a lot. My daughter lived there for 6 years and I visited...I'd hear the click, click, click of their heels on the sidewalk below my window. She lives in NYC now and walks just as much.
I work out, but don't walk enough....
Stella said…
Hey Cristina, what an amazing picnic. Everyone was dressed so beautifully and with such elegant taste. If I went to a picnic here in Tampa Bay, we would not have such a delicious looking/sounding lunch box either. No! It would be some kind of low grade meat sandwich paired with chips and a soda. So the lunch sound absolutely wonderful to me!
Claudia said…
This is the most heavenly post - I want to sink onto a picnic blanket and partake, I want to wear fun hats, wrap my fingers around a verrine, snack on cherry tomartoes and radishes and sip some champagne. I shall have to do it all vicariouly. And I want some authentic Chantilly cream.
You always know how to delight! I find the picnic spreads and even more so, the people, fascinating!! Who else but the French would picnic on a Dior tablecloth, or have hairdressers available to tame windblown locks ?!?

Picnics over here would feature very different food - you cannot imagine how different LOL Noirmoutier salt in a picnic basket? I love it!

Personally I like everything light, fresh and sprightly for a picnic. Some nice bread, cheese, maybe a litte pate, beautiful fruit and definitely a sparkling white or rose wine!

I think portion control is the secret of the French - Americans seem to love huge portions of everything! I find it a bit scary! I could live with eating a little of EVERYTHING because I want to try eveything, but sometimes, when I see something I really like, I will throw caution to the wind and eat it until I am completely satisfied..... *sigh* Why does food have to be such a pleasure?
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Denise: Well, as I said at the beginning of the post, these people are not "the French" in the sense that they are a privileged sector of the population...Yet, what they eat is quite typical...
Now, I do agree with you and I have the same problem...when I find something that I love...I eat a lot...self control is not my thing! (well I am not French)
Yes, definitely, in my opinion, portions have to be reduced dramatically in the States !! I think that's a first step...
Thanks for your extensive comment!
Anonymous said…
This looks so pretty. Wish nyc had something as nice.
Gabriela said…
Hello Cristina,

What a fabulous gathering! Love the hats and hat wear, so chic!


~ Gabriela ~
Lori Lynn said…
Hi Cristina - I stopped by the other day and was awestruck by this picnic. And I had no words, it is just too beautiful...
LL
Anonymous said…
Hola Cristina!

Ahora entiendo por qué me has dejado de lado...Yo no tengo sombreros a la altura del evento!!

Preciosas las fotos!!

Besos

Graciela

No logro enviarlo, buahhhh!
El said…
What a gorgeous picnic. I love the hats!
This event looks like so much fun. Love the hurricanes with candles, the lovely dressed up feel and hats. Oh and the food and drink - wow! Thanks for taking us with you. =)
Anonymous said…
I think a picnic can only be this beautiful in France. It reminds me a little of the Kentucky Derby. The women wear big hats and get dressed up. They eat and drink all day, then watch a horse race. It's a big social event. I wish the picnic would come back in style. I think most people in the U.S.have picnics of cold lunchmeat sandwiches and chips. There are so many more options. I once saw a couple have a gourmet picnic of cheese, bread, olives, and a berry pie at an outdoor concert. It was wonderfully out of place. A perfect day can be made with a blanket, good company, a bottle of wine, and wonderful food.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ The lonely radish: I do agree with you !!!