Cherry Clafoutis: a Summer French Classic



Yes, I know what you are going to think as soon as you see this..."Another clafoutis??"...Yes, I know, a lot of bloggers have posted this...but ever since my blog was born...only six months ago (it's a small baby!), I have been dreaming of posting my clafoutis, not because it is an example of culinary mastery ( it is SO easy to make), not because it is a photographic "plus ultra", but because I love it and it takes normally no more of five minutes to make....!


But it also happened that this past Wednesday, my girls wanted to go and have a picnic in the afternoon, in the Bois de Boulogne...there are no classes in France on Wednesday afternoons, so I said: "OK, when you come back from school, mummy will have a clafoutis ready" But....it just happened what nearly always happens here...it rained !!! so my girls found their clafoutis ready on the dining table, but we could hardly see it, so dark was our apartment "thanks" to the Parisian clouds....Their faces of disappointment is something I can hardly resist, so I said (in one of my typical grandiloquent quotations): "To big problems, big solutions"...(??!!!) "Tragedies in life have to faced with dignity, and above all..elegance..." Have you seen these old Hollywood  divas that went through the most heart-breaking situations, in their magnificent gowns, not one hair out of place, not a smear of make-up after crying for hours???? So, we decided to have the picnic at home, paying attention to all the deco details...even dressed for the ocassion !! (notice the little hearts in my daughter C's shirt....don't they match the color of the cherries?) 

You must have read that some people say it is better not to pit the cherries, to keep the scent of almond....I must admit that I did once, and I did not feel a radical change of taste...besides, people felt uncomfortable getting  rid of the seeds, plus I had to warn them several times not to bite the cherries because the seed was in...too much stress for me! Here,  since the clafoutis was for my children, I did not hesitate about it !!

What's more, the night before, my daughters had engaged in their argument number 87 of the day, so I told my youngest daughter M: "You come to the kitchen to pit the cherries..." (It is incredible what a mind-clarifying effect hard work has on teenagers!!), and to my  daughter M: "You go sort out your wardrobe" (Yes....we are not so lucky here in Paris...old Hausmannian buildings don't have walk-in closets...they have old fashioned "armoires"!!!)
"Again?", my daughter complained. "It's in perfect order" Well, there....I must admit, I thought again about the Hollywood divas...."Stay calm and chic", I said to myself! Nevertheless, I gave  her a kind of Bette Davis menacing look, and she immediatly understood the message.....




Yes !!! The happiest family events are always preceded by some sort of "spicy tension"....but that   helps to make clafoutis tastier !!! Don't you agree?
Enjoy it !!!



Now for the recipe......


To make this Cherry Claufoutis, you will need:

 *cherries, 400gr (pitted or not)
 *milk, 150ml
 *cream (light), 200ml
 * vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon
 * sugar, 100gr
 * all purpose flour, 100gr
 * eggs, 4
 * butter, 50gr (melted)
 * icing sugar
 * brown sugar
Pre-heat oven (180°C). Butter a mold (here I used a 23cm one) Sprinke it with brown sugar. Wash the cherries and rinse them. Pit them (or not) Whisk the milk, cream, the vanilla extract, the eggs, the sugar, the melted butter and flour until well combined. Pour the batter in the mold, and then place the cherries evenly. Bake 40' aprox until golden brown. Serve warm sprinkled with icing sugar. 










Comments

Miriam said…
Me encanta el clafoutis de cerezas, yo lo hago todos los años para el cumpleaños de mi marido, este mes. Me gusta tanto como la tarta tatin... se ve que los franceses saben hacer tartas. Y me encanta tu estilismo!
Lulu said…
This is one of my favorite deserts! Very beautiful pictures!
Chef Chuck said…
Hi Cristina! You are a wonderful fun caring mom! These is so beautiful to see a happy family! I am with my Granddaughter "Isabella" today having fun too!
O.K. Let's talk about your sweet desert. Cherry Clafoutis, is new to me, what does it taste like?
Unknown said…
I love cherries, they are so cheerful and a cherry clafoutis, even better, your girls are lucky to have mom baking such wonderful homemade goodies for them. I love your blog,it's always a pleasure to stop by and visit!
Another clafoutis??? Never!! I love them and it's not possible to tire of them! But, chica, I want to shake you, much as I adore you when you say you are unfortunate to not have walk in closets!! I would kill to live in your building!!!! Gorgeous beyond words *sigh*
Ciao Chow Linda said…
I know lots of people go crazy for clafoutis, but it's never been a favorite of mine. But your gorgeous photos could make me a convert.
Erica said…
I love the clafoutis and the pix!! maybe that can be the next one!!
Unknown said…
You know what, dont worry, nothing is original in the foodie world anymore LOL. Nothing wrong with a classic, and when its as delicious looking as this, I know we all want to see it.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
*kisses* HH
ParisGetaways said…
A real pleasure---photos are fab, recipes are bonus!
Claudia said…
Cristina, que bueno te ha quedado, probaré tu receta. Las fotos hermosas.
Un beso.
Claudia
Barbara said…
Lovely, Cristina! And I agree. I could have eaten the entire dish myself. It really is more like a pudding...yours is perfect. And your photos are fabulous! So glad you posted it.
I wanted to post a semifreddo this week, but one of my favorite blogs did it this week too, so I am putting it off a few weeks! We all think alike! :)
Magic of Spice said…
Looks just beautiful...The photos as well:)
bunkycooks said…
This was definitely a great photo op! The clafoutis is beautiful and it looks perfect. I would take the apartment in Paris over not having big closet space any day of the week! :)
Your blog and photos are lovely! I've never made clafoutis with cherries--sounds wonderful!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Chef Chuck: Well, this clafoutis in particular tastes like a "flan" (custard?), that with the acidity of cherries goes very well..Enjoy Isabella !!!!

@Barbara: I think we, foodbloggers, have to post what we like...There will always be someone out there with a similar post, particularly when we do "classics" like the clafoutis...Now, when you come out with sth new, and then you see it copied everywhere....that upsets me !!!

@ Denise: I know I am bery lucky to live in an apartment Hausmannian, but some aspects are not THAT comfortable....My tiny, tiny kitchen....(you should see how I cook!) , my one person (and not too fat) lift....Well, there are some aspects that are not so practical, but I agree, it's BEAUTIFUL !!!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody: Thanks a lot!! Your comments exceed my expectations for this humble clafoutis...
Muchisimas Gracias!!!
Lauren said…
I like your blog and the story with the closets. Paris is so much fun; but, I do run home and embrace all of my walk in closets.
Hot Polka Dot said…
Congrats on Top 9 !
fromBAtoParis said…
Thanks Foodbuzz and dear Foodies...
My Cherry Clafoutis was Top 9 today !!!
sensiblecooking said…
Great recipe, Wonderful idea to make use of summer fruits.
Adorable! I love the simplicity in your recipe and the pictures are beautiful.
Truffle Shuffle said…
This looks wonderful. I would like to try some right now; it's making me hungry. Looks like a wonderful summer treat!

The Ardent Epicure
Claudia said…
Elegance in the face of "disaster" - truly grace under pressure. Always aspire to that. The cherries have sat for four days in my fridge waiting to be pitted. I have clafoutis on my mind, in my brain and in my dreams and have not made it ... yet. Your lovely delectable was just what I needed! Sweet summer!
Its funny because only this afternoon I was thinking about making a cherry clafoutis without the seeds as I'm still trying to sell my son on the idea of eating fruits outside of compote.

I think its great that you had an indoor picnic - we love doing that here with our temperamental weather
Carol y verol said…
Salut:) je fais ton délicieux Clafoutis! voici le lien sur mon blog! sympa ton blog!
http://lacocinadecarolinaa.blogspot.com/2010/08/cherry-clafoutis.html
Unknown said…
Mmmmmmm yummy
In the Buenos Aires hotels I stayed when I visited Argentina, they served for desert that kind of cake.. wow it was amazing! I could spend the whole day eating that

Popular Posts