Chefex (Chef Express): Gordon Ramsay's Lentil & Foie Gras Soup !


 I would like to thank all of you for the warm welcome to my Chefex idea!!! So, in appreciation, here comes my second Chefex dish, in fact an elegant, no time soup, suitable for Thanksgiving or Christmas...!


Lentil soup with foie gras is one of my winter favorites! I had never thought about it for my blog...certain obvious things don't come to your mind...A few weeks ago, I was in London, and I went to have dinner to one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants.I open the menu...and there it was...Lentil soup with Foie gras...and I must tell you the truth !!! I thought: "Oh, an English chef doing something SO French? Why not? After all, Gordon Ramsay impresses clients in his restaurant with a menu almost purely French...(yes, Queen Elizabeth II, forgive him, please!! don't behead him for treason!!!) So, if it is good for Gordon and his clients..it is also good for Cristina and her readers...n'est-ce pas? 
Of course, Mr Ramsay didn't give me his recipe !!! but my soup tastes just like his, believe me! In his menu, "à la carte", he points out he is using Puy lentils..."Oh là là, Gordon!! That is classy!!" I'm using the same lentils here!!! Yes, I know...Mr Ramsay doesn't use chicken stock in cubes, as I will tell you to do (I hope!)...no, in fact I detected some vegetables (carrots, etc) cut in fine and accurate "mirepoix", what leads me to the conclusion that his chicken stock was "real" , but modern, busy women that we are, we don't always have the time to make the real one at home (let's be frank!) 
In any case, I enjoyed Mr Ramsay's soup...he also used fresh foie gras...here I used "bloc de foie gras" (in cans) for two reasons: first, I know fresh foie gras is not easy to get in some countries...second, it is expensive!!! (so the "bloc de foie gras" is the cheapest version, because it is made with pieces of liver, not whole ("entier"). Third, because people not used to it, do not like the look of fresh foie gras (sacrilege!!) and fourth, because if your guests are not "connaisseurs", they will not taste the difference between one type and the other !!! 
This said, you can replace the foie gras by liver pâté (recipe here), or by sautéd bacon, or whatever you want....even Spanish chorizo would be a great idea!

Before my passion for cooking, I also did picture-framing...

Finally, I would like to add that, first, I admire Mr Ramsay because he has done so much to make good cooking popular....second, I find him VERY handsome...and third, if he happens to read my blog (???!!!!) (Why not?) that I would like to work with him ("work"...girls...I said "work") in one of his restaurants...Yes, le Trianon here in Versailles would suit me VERY well!
Well, and after all this delirium, I leave you with the recipe.....



Acknowledgements! I would like to thank Gourmet Live for including my Beef and Pumpkin Pie, in the week's roundup "Spectacular Squash", the Jerusalem Post, for publishing my recipe of Argentinian empanadas...and most important, you dear readers, for supporting me in Project Foodblog!!
Thanks a lot !!!



For the recipe, see below...



Recipe: Lentil and Foie-gras Soup:
(serves 4) 


Sauté the chopped onion ( 1 tbsp), in olive oil (1 tbsp). Then add green lentils (250gr). Cover with 1,25 liter water ( you can use less water if you want a more "creamy" soup - "velouté").  Add one chicken stock cube, and a "bouquet garni". Season with salt & pepper. Cover almost completely and let simmer for 30'. Remove the bouquet garni and mix. Check the seasoning and serve with a slice of foie-gras. Here, I sprinked some olive oil on it, and piment d'espelette, of course!


Recipe from "Elle à Table"

Comments

Unknown said…
OMG, you were in London daaaaahling??? You must give us the details :D
Georgous soup (and i dont really even like soup)!
*kisses* HH
p.s. I find Gordon Ramsay really handsome too :) but dont tell Mr P ;)
Chef Chuck said…
O.K. Cristina, I will let you in on a little secret, I never had "Foie Gras", but looking forward one day!
Your version of Ramsay's soup would be the best way to start!!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Heavenly Housewife:
Ok, now we share a "secret" We are real friends!

@Chef Chuck
It's normal, Chuck!! Before coming to france, I had never eaten foie-gras either !!!
That is a wonderful dish! So refined and flavorful. That combo is terrific. I love Gordon Ramsay!

Cheers,

Rosa
Chef Chuck said…
Glad to hear that! I will visit France one day!!
Frank said…
I remember the first time I had this soup, many years ago (the early 90s, I think) in a small restaurant in a side street near the Beaubourg. It was a true relevation! But the funny thing is, I don't think I've had it since then... but now I can make it at home, thanks. :)
Miriam said…
Esto suena estupendo, la verdad... y Johanna también publicó una receta mía en el Post! Felicidades!
Nancy said…
Amazing soup Cristina! I love your framed art, it's beautiful. Thanks for all the great tips too. I love lentils so I have to try your recipe. By the way I'm thrilled that you advanced, and can't wait to see your newest challenge. Continued success!
Claudia said…
Fit for a king or a holiday or a celebration or because you love someone. Just gorgeous - I like all the alternatives! And I love your unabashed admiration of Ramsay!
Cristina~ HILARIOUS! I secretly have a crush on Bobby Flay! My husband has dealt with it! ;)

This soup looks utterly divine. I love that you;ve paired the humble lentil with foie gras!
Jean said…
You had me at the first mention of foie gras. I will eat it in any way shape or form. Having it in soup like this is new to me but I'd be the first in line to try it. Thanks for a marvelous idea.

Love these photos. :-)
Victoria said…
Buenisimo Cristina me encanto... seria como nuestro guiso de lentejas o casi...con un toque chic, el foi gras..y si es du sud-ouest..mejor todavia!
Felicitaciones!
Gaby said…
Hi Cristina
You must tell us all about London!
This soup is fabulous, classy and everyone will think that is very complicated to make. The stars here (apart from you, of course) are the good quality simple but wholesome ingredients.
Ramsay.. Was more handsome before the botox...shame!.
Will you be visiting Argentina for the holidays?
wow this dish looks so amaizing!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Miriam
Te felicito entonces...cual fue la receta?

@ Victoria
Si, foie gras de Pau, por supuesto !!! Gracias !!!

@Gaby
No sabia que se habia hecho el botox !!! Bueno, entonces, no me gusta mas..=(
Voy a Argentina en Febrero
Gracias !!!
Patty Price said…
Beautiful photos Cristina and I love the frame! We went to a Gordon Ramsey restaurant when we were in London, it was in a hotel. The meal was memorable but I never attempted to recreate any of the dishes that we enjoyed. This soup is such a creative way to serve foie gras around the holidays, thanks for sharing this idea and your recipe:)
Aldy said…
Cris, Beautiful soup! What a great combo. And I agreed... Ramsay is handsome :)

Abrazotes y que sigan los exitos!

Aldy.
Cherine said…
Mmm I love foie gras! And this soup looks scrumptious!!
Stella said…
Cristina! This soup is so rustic and pretty and I believe that it tastes just like Gordon Ramsays'. If anyone could duplicate something wonderful properly, it is someone with skills like you (smile)! But are you sure you want to work with Chef Ramsay? I've heard he's a terror of mass proportions;-)?!
p.s. Your frame is so nice, Cristina. I was just thinking yesterday that I need to start doing stuff like that. I used to be good at it...
@Stella:
Go ahead, Stella! It's great to find sth creative to do, apart from cooking !!
Do you think GR ever goes to the Versailles restaurant?
Barbara said…
I have no doubts that your soup was even better than Gordon Ramsay's!
(And I would think him handsome too, if I could just forget the language that comes out of that mouth!)
Anonymous said…
If it has foi gras, I am all over it.

I have been to his NYC restaurant and it was ok. I do think he is handson and quite a chef, but the constant ues of the F word just gets to me.

Your "sopa" is divine.
Anonymous said…
I've never actually had foie gras before, but as an ardent fan of both lentil soup (French lentils are the only ones we use!) and Gordon Ramsay, I'll have to give this soup a try and use some of the chorizo we have on hand in the freezer. This looks so easy!
Adelina said…
Love lentils and love that your sense of humor... I hope you do get to "work" with Gordon and I hope he does see your post. I am sure he will fall in love with you instantly.... oh I meant fall in love with your soup :)