Avocado / Banana Sorbet & Feta Cheese Chantilly, for "Fromage"/Dessert Course




Does it sound strange? Avocado with bananas...and a feta cheese Chantilly (whipped cream)? Well, I think this is a good way to put together the cheese course (typical of France) and the dessert.



Also, we are going to treat our family and friends ( and ourselves !) to new flavors...And I am going to participate in Denise's (from Quickies: Morning, Noon and Night ) and Lazaro's  (from Lazaro Cooks) Feta Cheese and Avocado Challenge !!!



Why did I come up with this dessert? Well, on the one hand, at least in France, there is a new trend to amalgamate these two courses...and though the use of olive oil for sweet treats is something that Italians have been doing for ages, I thought the olive oil would give us the unctuosity of cream or butter, staying lighter, and healthier I would say...






Then , feta cheese becomes softer to the palate by the addition of honey, and olive oil again....






Well? what else could I say to "sell" my "product"? It's easy to make and fast !!! Give it a try !! I am sure it won't disappoint you !!







For the recipes.....






Avocado / Banana Sorbet
(makes aprox 700 gr sorbet)


 * avocado, 2
 * bananas, peeled, 200gr
 * green lemons, 2
 * yellow lemon, 1
 * olive oil, extra virgin, 50 ml
 * sugar, 100gr
 * water, 200 ml
Peel the avocados and the bananas. Put everthing in a mixer, together with:  the zeste of one green lemon, and the juice of the three lemons, the sugar, olive oil and water. You can use your icecream machine, or (as I did here) put the mixture in a plastic bowl  in the freezer, and every 30', remove from the freezer and mix well with a spatula or a whisk. Repeat this operation several times, (to prevent the formation of hard ice crystals), for 3 hours.




Feta Cheese Chantilly
 * feta cheese, 200gr
 * skimmed cream, 200gr
 * milk, 50 ml
 * honey, 2 tablespoons
 * olive oil, 1 tablespoons
 * salt & pepper, to taste
Mix the cheese with all the other ingredients. Put inside an espuma siphon. Shake. Refrigerate overnight.

Serve a dollop of  sorbet, accompanied by the Feta Chantilly. Decorate with some banana chips ( from your cereal box ! shhhh !!!) and some fresh fruit...here I used some passion fruit coulis.







Comments

hmmm :) Interesting combination of flavors, and yes definitely the trend right now. One of my favorite flavor combinations is feta and honey. The photos are amazing !
Julieta said…
Guauu ! Tiembla Martitegui ....!
Un besito grande,
Juli
Unknown said…
You are so talented. I don't know how you manage to create something thats so unusual, yet incredibly elegant. Its another winner.
*kisses* HH
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Wheels and Lollipops: I'm glad you know what I mean !! I was afraid people would find this strange, but it IS what we see here, isn't it? Thanks

@ Julieta: Le dejo mi CV a Martitegui?

@ Heavenly Housewife: You ARE heavenly...It's very generous of you.....
There is an emerging trend - not only in la belle France ;) to combine the sweet and cheese course and let diners decide which they want first! Is that not so simple yet so brilliant?? It totally sidesteps the issue of which to serve first! This stunning presentation is not strange to me at all Cristina....
Chef Chuck said…
You came up with new flavors of curiosity!! The textures seem to be palate pleasing! I would love to try your creation ~ Great job Cristina!!
Magic of Spice said…
Stunning!!! What creative use of these palate pleaser's...Wonderful.
Gourmantic said…
Stunning Presentation!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Denise: Thank you ! Have I lost? LOL

@Chuck: the sorbet is very fresh...even my kids liked it! for the Chantilly, it takes a palate used to goat cheese..Thanks Chuck!

@ Magic of Spice
@ Gourmantic
Glad you appreciated!
Claudia said…
I will of course need to do this. How can I not? the photos invite. Avocado and banana is so far ... interesting. Feta and honey is inspired.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Claudia: Thanks Claudia for your interesting feedback... cheese and honey is a typical combination...avocado and banana, and lemon...My family liked it !!! (without joking, you will see how tropical it tastes!)
Stella said…
Oh Cristina, I just saw this over at Denise's blog, and it is so delicious sounding...and inspired I must say. You always come up with things that no one would even think of or imagine it seems like...Well, I know I wouldn't.
Hope you are doing well today. I'm so tired and can't wait to sleep. It's going to be wonderful (smile).
fromBAtoParis said…
Thanks Denise and Lazaro for mentioning my post in the categories "Best photography" & "Unexpected Recipe"
Now, I will need years of shrink sessions for not winning first prize....! LOL
Thanks again !!!!
Denise said…
Thank you Cristina for bringing your flair and sophistication to our
challenge. You certainly kicked the competition up a few notches! You are
graciousness itself!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Denise: Woww !!! Thanks Denise...always so kind of you!
sweetlife said…
passing by from Denise to say what a stunning and interesting treat, great entry...delish!!

sweetlife