Vintage Root Vegetables...très à la mode!! for my Beef Stew



What do you think is the latest fashion this winter in Paris? Having your "manteau beige" (beige overcoat) ? Maybe...To buy your "lingerie" (underwear) à l'italienne? Mmmm...( only if you look like Monica Bellucci!)  No, if you really want to impress your friends from "la Rive Gauche", you must invite them to dinner a beef stew made with "vitelottes, topinambours..." 
"What's all that Cristina? New French words"? 
No, these are the names of root vegetables that used to be grown at the times of kings and queens in France...or during the World Wars, and then fell into oblivion... So for the first time, we have a major fashion trend that is healthy !!! since these vegetables are full of nutrients and vitamins, and they are perfect for a hearty winter meal, like the stew you see here..... 




"Allez" (Come on), we'll make this dish....we'll have a bottle of good red wine ( don't ever think of eating this with mineral water !!!????) and I assure you, life cant't get any better!!! ;D

But what root vegetables am I talking about?



Well, here simply carrots of all types: yellow, white, "carottes des sables" (sand carrots), but look at their amazing colors when you peel them!


(Top, left to right): Jerusalem Artichoke / Tuberous - rooted Chervil
(Below) Vitelotte Potatoes
The Jerusalem artichoke ( North American by origin)  is known in France as "Topinambour" and is the star of many new dishes!!: soupes, veloutés, cakes, galettes....
The tuberous chervil (I loved it, mainly raw!) Its taste? a mixture of apple, artichoke and chestnut..This "Quasimodo" of the kitchens originated in Eastern Europe, and you know what? It is terribly expensive !! (for a root vegetable) The reason is that it gives gardeners a lot of trouble, plus it has to be stored for some time before it is ready to be eaten...Who would have guessed? 
My favorite was the vitelotte...this potato coming to us from Peru...Nothing much when you see them...once peeled a devilish purple/violet color...Amazing! Unfortunately, the color fades once cooked!


The stew is simple, but perfect in its lack of pretentions...nourishing !!! What a grand mother would cook..Don't you miss these dishes? so far from the Michelin whatsoever...but SO good, when it is cold...when we are sad...Food for the soul..I would call them!
Enjoy! 



For the recipe, check below


For this Beef Stew, with Vintage Root Vegetables, you will need:
(serves 6)
* stew meat, 1,2kg * olive oil, 2tbsp * butter, 20gr *flour, 1tbsp *turmeric, 1teasp *garlic, 1 clove *chicken stock, 800ml *root vegetables (the ones here, plus parsnip) 1,5 kilo * thyme springs, 3 *salt & pepper

Sauté the pieces of beef in a cocotte (Dutch oven), in olive oil and butter till they get a golden color. Sprinkle with the flour. Add the turmeric, thyme and garlic. Stir. Pour in the stock. Cover and let simmer while you prepare the vegetables. Peel them and cut them in long sticks or dice. Put them in your cocotte. Add water if necessary (to cover) Check seasoning, adding salt and pepper. Simmer for 1h 30'. Serve immediately.

Recipe adapted from "Elle à Table"








Comments

I love that vegetables can be "à la mode". How very funny, I guess everything vintage is fashionable! Well I'm glad that the ugly root vegetables are getting their time in the limelight, they are so delicious and yet so often overlooked.
A lovely stew! Root vegetables are splendid.

Cheers,

Rosa
Chef Chuck said…
When you say soul food you mean it!! Hello Cristina.. This stew would suit me just fine, my mouth is beginning to water looking at this intimating photos!!
"Stew with a Fashion!!"
You got it girl, take care ;)
Stella said…
Hey Cristina! I love stews and food like this in general. It is the kind of food that our grandma's would make, which is just proof that it's good in every way;-) I want a big bowl with a piece of crusty bread and a glass of that red wine. I hope it's Malbec (smile)!
p.s. Those root vegetables are beautiful under their dirty covers...
Asha @ FSK said…
mmmmm... beef stew!! Perfect for this time of the year :) and root vegetables add a fabulous heartiness to the stew
Unknown said…
The winter veggies and the stew look tres chic daaaahling, but because i live in the middle of nowhere I always find exotic fruits and vegetables so hard to find. I love the look of heirloom tomatoes, for example, but I have never seen any in the supermarkets near me. I think I'd have to grow my own. I may just try that this year.
*kisses* HH
Anonymous said…
Ooh SO pretty! I love heirloom vegetables, and there are more and more showing up in our markets as well. I never knew that the root of the chervil plant was edible- that's so exciting. I like the herb, but have never used the root. My personal favorites are the blood carrots and the purple potatoes. I was first introduced to purple potatoes about 10 years ago when I lived in New Mexico- my children love them mashed! What a lovely and inspiring dish!!
Unknown said…
Hi Cristina!
Happy New Year, a little late but heartfelt;-)
I think we have the same cocotte and I use mine at least twice a week, especially this time of year, brrr!
I wouldn't dream of enjoying this beef stew without a glass or two(!) of good red wine, so don't even worry about it:-)
Thanks for the recipe and isn't it funny how a simple thing like vintage root veggies can cause such a stir!
Claudia said…
Vintage root vegeables - I was just working on tomorrow's blog and vintage figures heavily into it! Plus I love that word. I must cite you.

While I cannot get "specialized" root vegetables - I can certainly make this hearty,food-for-soul, dinner. There is often beauty under wrappings. This stew proves it.
You made root veggies look so beautiful!
Sippity Sup said…
I am lucky enough to get a load of interesting "heirloom" veggies here. And the carrots in all the shapes, sizes and colors particularly entice me. I love the photos of yours. GREG
Nancy said…
Root vegetables may not me so "a la mode" but they are always favorites of mine, because they are delicious. I love your beef stew, and yes of course a bottle of red wine must be present:) Really looks delicious and comforting. Your photos of the carrots are so beautiful and have a vintage look to them:)
wow, i'm always surprised when i learn about vegetables i've never heard of, but then again, i'm a novice and this earth is huge. thanks for sharing these with us. how exciting. I'm sure you're going to whip up another exciting dish with these. a Peruvian restaurant here in SF does whipped purple potatoes. I can see that happening with some of the things you have here. definitely would be cool
Looks delicious,and I bet it is. Gotta learn how to cook those in our hotel.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Hilton Paris

I can go and cook at your restaurant anytime!
Barbara said…
I'm in heaven just roasting root veggies and having them for dinner! (I have to be very careful with Jerusalem artichokes; it seems I can't tolerate them very well; haven't posted it yet) I noticed one of my favorite chefs takes her roasted root vegetables, purees them, adds some stock and makes a divine soup.
Your stew looks fabulous! With a crust of country bread and a glass of wine...divine. Definitely food for the soul AND for good health.
Vintage never gets old in my book! Love the colours of the vegs - pity they lose most of it during cooking :(

Oh, and I wouldn't dream of drinking mineral water with this gorgeously voluptous stew!
Vintage never gets old in my book! Love the colours of the vegs - pity they lose most of it during cooking :(

Oh, and I wouldn't dream of drinking mineral water with this gorgeously voluptous stew!
Vintage never gets old in my book! Love the colours of the vegs - pity they lose most of it during cooking :(

Oh, and I wouldn't dream of drinking mineral water with this gorgeously voluptous stew!
Fran said…
What a luscious golden color all those vegetables with bright, energizing colors ended up in your bowl. I can almost taste the smooth heartwarming flavors.

I've always passed up Jerusalem Artichokes because I just didn't know what to do with them. I have an 8 quart pot of roasted marrow bones waiting for a meal in the fridge. I think I know what I'll do with some of it now! :)
Sweet Artichoke said…
What a lovely post and a great blog!
Your photos are awesome!
One wonders how these delicious "légumes oubliés" can have been forgotten for so long!!
Anonymous said…
Great classical family- or bistro-dish for the Winter season ! The beauty about it too is that you can cook it ahead of time and simmer it again on D-day. In France, we say "plus c'est réchauffé, meilleur c'est" (the more you cook it the better).
Well Cristina, there's no limit to your cooking skills as they range from the most sophisticated to the most homely dishes !

Y.K.W.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Fran

Go ahead, Fran!!

@YKW

Thanks so much !! because I feel all the affection behind your words!!
Susan said…
Just proved the old adage that goes, "Everything old is new again!"

A classic stew! Wonderfully educating post!
Lori Lynn said…
Hi Cristina - so comforting! And your photos are awesome as usual. I had to click to look up who Monica was...
LL
Joyti said…
Beautiful shots...especially of those gorgeous rainbow carrots!
I'm sure the dish was delicious and comforting...
Jamie said…
I see these vegetables on my market all the time and am always tempted to try something with them but feel myself too humble. I can never think of anything cool and sophisticated enough to do with them. But your way of making a humble stew is fabulous! Delicious!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Jamie

Thank you Jamie! I think that was the idea...we can't eat "Michelin" every day...A well-made stew is also a masterpiece !!!
Anonymous said…
Wish I had this today...so cold in new york!
Magic of Spice said…
All of my favorite root vegetables :)
This is very similar to a dish my grandmother still makes...just lovely
I'm so fashionable and didn't even know it! We've been root root veggie stew all winter!

This looks supremely delicious!
Aldy said…
Oh! What a colorful and delicious stew! My mouth is watering... Even though weather is boiling hot in here :)

Abrazos,

Aldy.
www.fittoindulge.com said…
Your root vegetables are beautiful. I love shopping the market. This is one fashion I could actually get used to (I'm not one for shopping unless we're talking food)!

Thanks for the comfort stew recipe. Also, I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award. I hope you'll accept and pay it forward. :)
Soma said…
oh what a lovely heart warming stew. The photographs are gorgeous and makes the veggies come to the front stage!
Magdalena said…
I observe this trend since some time, too.
I love root vegetables - not only because I come from a country where it is a daily habit to cook and eat them, but also because I am convinced that, if one knows how to prepare them, they are simply delicious and work well with both sweet (cakes) and savory dishes (purees, soups, stews, grills and so on). I love root parley, for example, and I sometimes I am a bit disappointed that it here, in Paris, parsnip root "pretends: parsley root - that's not the same!