Epiphany: Pistachio/Chocolate Galette des Rois !





Just like last year, my first 2011 post has as a royal protagonist... "la galette des Rois"..Et oui !! It is just like that with traditions...here in France, as soon as the bakers "put away" their "bûches", all the pâtisserie windows are invaded by galettes....a simple craft compared to the technical "savoir-faire" required to make a bûche....



Can I make a confession? I was not going to blog about the galette...but no way my kids could be without it...the simplicity of this "member of royalty" has won their hearts..but when I passed by Ladurée and saw a galette for 30 euros!!!!! (traditional recipe plus some raspberries for decoration), I decided I had to make one myself. Of course, there are cheaper galettes in the supermarket, frozen galettes....but simple things rely on the quality of products....so the ones that are sold by 5 euros have a taste of "nothing"!!
The galette is just puff pastry with a frangipane filling...even kids can make it!! This year I decided to make two changes to my "tradition" recipe here: First, I decided to test what would happen if I made the puff pastry thicker....and then I changed the filling to a pistachio almond cream, with the addition of chocolate! Mind you...I haven't racked my brains doing this..I would say that after the classical frangipane filling, the pistachio one is second best...!




The key is having  good puff pastry, here in France, if you don't want to make it yourself (my case!) you can buy it at the bakery, or at G Detout . In Argentina, I had my supplier for puff pastry..I suppose in each country you know where to get some! In France, you can even buy the "fève" and the crown....Don't forget to buy cider!!! 




If you want to test your French reading comprehension, you can see what the newspaper had to say here, about the "new" galettes...Pastry chefs trying to find a new twist to a traditional recipe...then it is up to you...the purists or the innovators...One thing is sure: the "galette des Rois" is a winner for most families..my kids cannot wait to have this treat, and mummy adores to please! And even if they have grown up ("sniff, sniff" for me!), the golden crown, the "fève" (figurine), and being "queen or king" for one day is a good excuse for family enjoyment!
The cook (me) has finished working! Time to rest..maybe lazily lying on the couch, legs stretched on my immense wooden coffee table, while watching the wind (cold, very cold) through the French window...some silly afternoon program on TV...and then, my puppy comes, "Gaucho", and he looks at me like saying: "you know where I like to take my nap!" How to say "no"? I turn off the TV...and we both doze off!!


My father taught me to respect nature, to learn from nature...and it just happens that plants and animals enter a kind of slumber during the winter, resting and accumulating energy for the spring to come..It's only us, humans, that have imposed on ourselves this idea of working exactly the same, winter, spring, summer or fall....Whenever I can, I adore this lazy "doing nothing"...a nap on my couch, Gaucho's body moving rhythmically as he breathes, the sound of the wind...home sweet winter home!!
Enjoy your winter!

For the recipe, see below...


To make this Pistachio/Chocolate Galette des Rois, you will need:


For the pistachio/chocolate almond cream:


*almond flour, 100gr *icing sugar, 100gr *butter, 100gr *rhum, 1tbsp *corn flour, 1tbsp *pistachio paste, 80gr (or mix 80gr of pistachio, and add some egg white, till you have paste consistence) *dark chocolate, 80gr (cut coarsely) *eggs, 2 *egg wash (1 yolk + a bit of water)


With butter at room temperature, whisk it till it acquires a cream consistence. Combine all the ingredients and add butter progressively. 
On a slightly floured cold surface, roll the puff pastry with a rolling pin till 5 mm width, cut 2 circles ( 22cm diameter) out of the puff pastry. Put one of them on a baking sheet sprinkled with very cold water. (if your puff pastry is "pure butter" you don't need parchment paper!) Brush one inch around the edge of the circle with water. Spread the pistachio cream on the center, put the "fève"(bean or figurine), sprinke the chocolate on the cream and place the second circle on top matching the edges of the circles. Press all around the edges to glue them together. Press softly in the center to evenly spread the filling.  Lightly brush the egg wash (onto the top of the gallette. Use the back of a knife to make a criss cross or rosette pattern in the egg wash, also, make some lateral cuts on the edges.Finally, prick one slit in the center to vent steam while baking. Refrigerate for 45'. Puff pastry will be puffier if there is a temperature shock...this is why we take from the cold into a very hot oven, 210°C, for 5', then lower to 180°C, for 25/30' (depending on the oven) Serve warm. 

Adapted from Guy Martin's recipe



Comments

What a splendid galette! I love that speciality.

Cheers,

Rosa
Cherine said…
What a gorgeous galette des rois. Today I will make mine! Hope it will be as good as yours!
I love the pistachio filling!
have a great sunny day :)
I just love the wonderful way your father taught you to live life according to the seasons! I am in agreement with you, it is essential to engage in that sort of lazy nothingness that rejuvenates both the body and the mind.
Miriam said…
I totally agree with the hibernation thing... ;)
Magnifique! I was not familiar with this traditional galette. The addition of a crown is so festive! Delicious interpretation!

Judy
Mardi Michels said…
I used to live next door (!) to G Detout and will be there again in the summer. Perhaps I will try my first ever galette even though it will be the wrong time of year - you make it look so easy. I miss la galette :-(
Unknown said…
The galette looks marvelous. I love the flavours you've chosen and I'm glad you've given an alternative to pistachio paste. It is very hard to find outside of France!
*kisses* HH
p.s. Like the animals, I am an expert at doing nothing during the winter ;)
Claudia said…
My French-loving daughter has been making noises about this. Now it appears - I have no excuse for you just provided a most lovely do-able recipe. Everyone needs a chance to be royalty for a day. I actually do like winter for its ability to let me cocoon once in a while. Your father was so right.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Everybody:

I'm glad you liked the idea...We should have a club: "People that love hibernating during the winter" (with some food, though ;D
Anonymous said…
This is "orgasmic". I am dying for that piece you just cut out.
Anonymous said…
oooh la la! That filling looks quite lovely! How can you not love pistachios? You've inspired me to make something festive for dinner tonight to celebrate the last night of Christmas!
Asha @ FSK said…
I love galette de rois. Such a simple creation that is so elegant and satifying at the same time!! Love the pistachio frangipane!!
Hello Friend! Happy 2011! The gallette looks delicious, but want I really want to get my hands on is that sweet little pouch! ...to cuddle not to eat! ;)
Sippity Sup said…
Another truly elegant "wow" moment! Thanks GREG
I think it's fantastic that while North Americans are obsessing about dieting in January, the French are eating puff pastry with rich fillings.

They know how to do it right! :o)

And btw your Gaucho is such a beautiful puppy. Funny thing is, right now, almost in the same position on my lap. That's why I'm typing with my body all crooked! lol
Jean said…
What a nice way to welcome the new year--with this galette. I don't know what the frangipane version would taste like but one with pistachio and almond cream will always get my vote. It looks delicious! I wouldn't pay 30 euro for the Laduree one either.
Anonymous said…
The Feast of the Epiphany is special in our home as we celebrate it together with my mum's birtday! Of course she loves galette des rois - I must show her your gorgeous pistachio version. The sliced galette looks truly beautiful because of the pistachio filling!!!
Anonymous said…
sorry - hit the button too soon :P That "anonymous' remark is mine LOL
Lana said…
It looks great, and I am sure that it tastes wonderful (I love, love, love good puff pastry desserts).
I am thinking of making the galette, but switching to a different filling - husband is allergic both to almonds and pistachios (maybe chocolate or Nutella?)
Your puppy is too cute:)
And, I am in the hibernation camp, also! Count me in when you found a club!
How long until you are in BA?
Yoanna said…
Yummy! I love galettes des rois, my favourite day!
Chef Chuck said…
Did you say "Chocolate" is involved!!
This sounds delish... Your children have good taste!
I thank you again my friend for bringing more of France's traditions to me.
I love that dog!! Enjoy : )
P.S. Your Father taught you well!!
Barbara said…
Nice improvisation on the traditional galette des rois, Cristina! I've never made one, but would love to try. Fortunately, we can get Dufours brand puff pastry at Whole Foods...it's wonderful.

I know how you feel about napping in the winter...I used to. (We called in "cozying in" at my house) But in Florida, our winters are slightly different and if I'm not out and about I feel like a slugabed!

Happy New Year to you, my lovely friend. (No, I did not receive your email.)

And like one of your commentors mentioned...I, a North American, am on a New Year's diet. :(
Graciela que cree en los Reyes Vagos said…
Llegaron ya los Reyes y eran 3!
Maravillosa idea la de confeccionar una "Galette des Rois"
para mi cumple...
Gracias Cristina, sos una amiga! jajaja!
Ahora vas a tener que hacer la rosca de reyes a la argentina. Dale sé buena!
Anonymous said…
Between you and our newly acquired copies of I Know How to Cook and Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I feel like we're going to be eating a LOT of French food this winter during our "hibernation."

It's weird--everyone talks about how NYC is the city that never sleeps, but trust me in that when it gets cold and snowy, people are not out and about at all! This means that it's the perfect excuse to try out crazier recipes on lazy weekend days and nights, though!
Roadtrek Girl said…
Happy New Cristina,your little Gaucho is just too sweet for words. I was feeling a little baked out since the holidays but you have inspired me to try this . I too love snuggling on the sofa during the winter and that lazy sleepy feeling that envelops us.Beautiful post and photos.
what a coincidence. just last night a friend of mine was telling me that she bought this cake for someone's birthday. it's so nice to see your beautiful pictures of what she was describing to me over the phone.
This galette and your dad's counsel is epiphany for me really.... new recipe and new take on life in winter. Thank you for sharing! Un abrazo furete!
Stella said…
Ooh, that galette sounds so good, Cristina! I never see chocolate with pistachio really. I don't know why either, b/c it does sound so good. And this looks heavenly:)
Oh, and Gaucho is very cute too. Wish I could have a wonderful little dog like that...
Magic of Spice said…
Your Father is a wise man...and your galette is just gorgeous, I love your flavor choices especially the pistachio...delightful :)
Bren said…
what a lovely pastry... the pistachios are intoxicating. bookmarked to make! happy new year!
Kasia Dietz said…
What a delicious home-made galette! I must admit it's one of my favorite seasonal treats in Paris, and I love the tradition behind it. Perhaps next year I will be brave enough to make one myself...