PFB: Challenge # 6: "Recycling" used tins, pots and jars or When Food Travels


Voting has begun!! If you consider this post merits advancing to the 7th round, click here!


Here I am, 6th challenge in Project Food Blog, organized by Foodbuzz (thank you incredible readers! thank you judges!) and our "hurdle" this time is to post about food that travels...either for picnics, or because we are visiting friends...
Immediately, certain things come to my mind: this food must not be fragile, and if it is, we have to take precautions !! There are things that travel "badly", like mousses, custards, certain sauces..Exterior temperature should be considered. We want our meal to arrive "in shape", we want our cooler to be without a spot, and not splashed in cream...so there should be "menu planning"..."Easy!", someone can say..we put everything in Tupperware...
And presentation? Transporting food does not mean overlooking that aspect!! So this is my personal challenge!! Food that travels well, in nice containers, but nothing specially bought for the occasion..rather using all the boxes, jars, tins that we get when we buy things...and that normally we throw away!


These were the requirements !










  • Your meal must fit inside the Project Food Blog cooler
  • Your meal should fit the spirit of a "meal on the go" meaning you take it somewhere outside your home to eat it. You can bring your meal to a friends house and serve it up in a new environment, or eat it in the park. We recommend providing clarity to your readers and the judges by sharing your thought process in how your meal achieves the spirit of the challenge.
  • Your meal should have an entree, side, dessert, and drink. It can have MORE, but must have at least these four components


Some time ago, one of my best friends underwent very serious surgery, and as a result of that, she had to spend seven months without leaving her home !!! and not moving much! Needless to say, her spirits were not the best ! so every Tuesday (my day off work) I used to arrive at midday, with a lunch made for two...nicely set! (my friend is a deco addict) and we chatted, and gossiped (as normal women do) Don't worry! My friend is now in great shape!! but in honour of those seven long rough months suffered together, my lunch to go for two ladies with style! 


My friend drinks insane quantities of tea, good tea, special blends and all that...Many times she gave me these tea tins, that I love keeping ! so, I used them to "nest" these tiny Mini Mushroom Cakes, that make a gracious amuse-bouche!


We can bake bigger cakes, and they will serve as an eventual side, for the main dish...


Wrapping them with silk paper and a nice ribbon turns the cakes into an incredible gift, even a party favor! (Shhh!! Tell you a secret? This is what they do at the Hotel Plaza Athénée, in Paris)


My friend could not drink alcohol, so goodbye my favourite glass of Malbec! but I must admit that this Lavender Lemonade was a refreshing alternative!


I don't know what I like better here: the yoghurt inside or the little jars!! I have a collection of them! They come in handy to be used as "verrines" (and the lid makes them perfect for transport!).
What's more, I love the sticker..it reminds me of the time when my kids started Elementary School here in France. Parents have to buy kids special copybooks, with those fine lines, and children have to write like that !!! with perfect calligraphy!!!


So I used the jars for these mascarpone, sun-dried tomatoes verrines. This makes a good starter. 


Dried tomatoes are mixed with dried fruits: apricots, pears, pineapple, prunes...Mascarpone marries a hint of olive oil, salt and pepper...


And now what? From the starter, we pass to chocolate? No main dish? 
Do be patient! Just open the tin box!


Voilà!! Some curry chicken skewers !! and as side, Basmati rice in coconut/tomato sauce...


Again yoghurt jars (a different brand!) This time with plastic lids !! The addition of a velvet ribbon makes the innocent jar more elegant AND it matches the color of the box!



I bought these cute baskets ages ago in Chinatown, Buenos Aires! They are good to transport food because air can circulate there....They were the ideal thing for my cheese course!


This is in fact a cheese terrine made with melted Camembert, pieces of Camembert and apples sauté in Calvados..A real treat, that can be enjoyed cold ....


or you can put in the microwave for a few seconds (and I mean seconds) ! 


Wouldn't it have been a pity, a real pity to throw these lovely boxes away? Yes!!! because they are the perfect "jewel box" for our luscious "tartelettes aux chocolat"!




Yes, I know, three months of strict Weight Watchers will be necessary to lose all the calories of today!! But who cares? The big Wowww and the smile on my friend's face justified everything!


We decided to share this one, and keep the other one for ... later!


Macarons can be difficult to make, but when we have succeeded baking a batch, the challenge becomes transporting them! 


These old as time egg boxes are the perfect size for my macarons! Just a fancy ribbon, and Cinderella becomes a Princess! An espresso without a macaron is not an espresso, don't you agree? 


And this is the end of my sixth challenge post, written in honor of friendship and food..When life is hard, when the sun seems to be shining everywhere except on our roof...a friend who arrives home with something tasty to share and eat, can certainly make our world much brighter!



If you consider that this post of worthy of advancing to the 7th round, please vote for me as from Monday 27th. Thanks a lot!!!!


For the recipes, please go below...











To make this Mushroom Cake, you will need:


* eggs, 3 * self-rising flour, 150gr * sunflower oil, 100ml * milk, 125ml * grated gruyere cheese, 100gr * mushrooms, 250gr  *garlic, 1 clove  * persil, half a bouquet * salt & pepper, to taste.
(Yield: one small cake mold. For muffins, it all depends on chosen size)
Remove the end of stalk of mushrooms and slice them. Sauté them in 50ml of oil, until their water evaporates. Once cooked, season and add the chopped garlic and persil. 
In a bowl, whisk the eggs, together with the flour. Combine with the milk and oil (slightly warmed). Fold in the cheese, and the mushrooms. Put in an oiled cake mold. Bake (180°C) 30' (or until a wooden stick comes out dry) Attention !!! If you make the mini-muffins, baking time must be dramatically reduced!! 15' might be enough !! Check! 


To make these Mascarpone/Sun-dried Tomatoes Verrines, you will need:










* mascarpone, 250gr * olive oil, (till desired consistence) * salt&pepper (to taste) * sun-dried tomatoes (in oil), 120gr * dried fruits (prunes, apricots, pineapple) 150gr



Remove oil from tomatoes and mix them to have a purée. Cut the dried fruits in small dice with a knife. Combine both. Put the mascarpone cheese in a bowl. Whisk it and start adding the olive oil till you get a creamy blend. Season with salt and pepper. With a pastry bag (or a coffee spoon) start filling the verrines:cheese, first....then tomatoes, cheese again. 
Yield will depend on size of your yoghurt jars or verrines.

Recipe adapted from Verrines, by José Maréchal

To make these curry chicken skewers, you will need:
(yield: 2 women!!)

* Chicken fillets, 2 * lime juice, 1 * Greek yoghurt, 150gr * red curry paste, 2 tablespoons * cilantro, some leaves

Cut the chicken fillets in big dice. Put them in a dish. Sprinkle with lime juice. Combine the yoghurt with the curry, and spread on the chicken dice. Cover with plastic film. Let marinate in the fridge at least 6 hours. Thread the cubes into the skewers (remove extra sauce). Cook them on the grill (or oven "grill position") for 15'. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

As a side, boiled Basmatti rice, with Coconut/Tomato Sauce


* Basmati rice, 100gr * tomato "coulis", 150gr * coconut cream, 150gr * small onions, 2, chopped * grated fresh ginger, 1 tablespoon * cilantro, some leaves, sliced.


Cook the rice in 5 times its volume of water, till it has absorb almost all the water and it is tender (but not too much) Turn off the heat. Cover. In some minutes your rice will be perfect. Combine the tomato with the coconut cream. Add the onions, ginger and the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Keep the sauce in a yoghurt pots. Refrigerate. 


To make the Camembert / Apple Terrine, you will need:


* camembert cheeses, 2 *green apples, 2 * Calvados, 3 tablespoons * cream, 3 tablespoons * pepper * butter, 40gr


Peel the apples and cut them in cubes. Sauté the apples with the butter. Cook the apples for 3' medium heat. Flambé with Calvados. In a saucepan, melt one of the camembert cheeses with the cream. Season with pepper. Cut the other camembert in slices. Cover a mold of your choice with  plastic film. Let the film exceed on the sides.Assemble the terrine alternating layers of melted camembert cream, apples and camembert cubes. Cover the top with the extra film. Put something heavy on top.  Refrigerate 3 hours minimum. To be served cold or heat seconds with microwave!
Recipe from "Les Terrines de Sophie"


To make the Chocolate Tartlets, you will need:


For the "sablée" dough: * flour, 175gr * salt, 5gr * butter, 115gr, cut in cubes * sugar, 40gr * egg, 1 * iced water
For the ganache: * black chocolate (70% cocoa), 100gr * cream, 100gr (use top quality chocolate)


(To make the dough in the mixer, butter has to be cold) Put in the bowl of your mixer, the butter, sugar, salt and flour. Mix giving short pulses. Add the egg. Some short pulses again. It must look like coarse sand. Don't overmix. Add a little iced water till a ball forms. Transfer the dough to your work surface. Spread some plastic film on your worktop. Put the dough on top. Flatten it. Wrap the foil. Refrigerate at least one hour.
Roll the dough on a floured surface till desired width (2mm) Cut circles of 8/10cm diameter (depending on size of your tartlet molds) Fit the dough into the molds. Pat the dough with the fingertips. Place some parchment paper inside. Then beans or tart weights. Bake for 25': 15' with the weights, and 10' more without. Let cool. 
Heat the cream almost to a boil. Remove from heat. Fold in chopped chocolate. Combine well. Fill the tarts with the ganache. Refrigerate. 


For my macaron recipe, go here

For the Lavender Lemonade:


* sugar, 1 cup * lavender, 4 sprigs * water, 1,5 litres * lemon juice, 1 cup * lime juice, 1/2 cup.


Take the water and sugar to a boil. Infuse the lavender in it for minimum one hour. Add in the juices. Refrigerate. 






















Comments

I love recycling used tins, jars, boxes, etc... I really love your ideas and lovely verrines.

Cheers,

Rosa
Miriam said…
Clap, clap, clap... this is what I call an in-style meal on the go...
Anonymous said…
was looking forward to see what you came up with for this 6 round! Must say it exceeds my expectations!
C'est ENORME, as we say in french:)
I just love the idea of using things you have saved over time!
Maybe one day all the 'junk' I keep saving will come in handy! I know where to turn for ideas now!
Will be voting for you for sure!
What a beautiful post and I love that you spent it with your friend whose spirits you helped elevate during those long recovery months! Great food and photos!! Good luck!
Amelia PS said…
Très chic, beau et delicioux!
I especially like the colorful macarons in the egg carton.
Brava.
Stella said…
Wow, Cristina! I don't know how you do it, but you do have style:) I love the way you put rice and protein in those tins-that's too nice. And the rest of the food looks not only delicious but absolutely beautifully packed. I have learned some things here (smile).
I will again be voting, as this is all so awesome!
Yours, Stella
p.s. your friend must think you're the best!
Kath said…
What a beautiful picnic! Great looking food and great presentation. You've got my vote tomorrow!
Roadtrek Girl said…
Oh Cristina,You have outdone yourself! So creative and so beautiful. You seem to be one of those people who constantly bring sunshine into everyone's life.. I'm sure your visits helped your friend to feel much better . I would have been waiting at the door for the next surprise..Gorgeous photos and delicious looking food.
FOODalogue said…
Cristina - what a lovely post in the visuals and the sentiment. I loved your recycled food vessels. I hope it makes me more thoughtful in the future with things that pass through my hand.

OK - I'm ready for your video!
To die for! To look at a million times! I can only imagine what a delightful experience it must be to open these delectable treats and enjoy them one at a time. Great photos and I vote for you, I do, I do! You win in my book.

I've seen a food show on tv where the guy packed up a lunch for an office and this reminded me a little of how he did it. Yours is way more colorful and enchanting in presentation and tastes.
Fran said…
How wonderful is this?! I love the story and the time and care you took in creating each detail. Bravo! It's simply beautiful.
Anonymous said…
Ay dios mio...this is absolutely stunning. This whole spread used in reusable containers is so gorgeous and tempting to the palate! I wish yogurt in America came in reusable containers instead of the flimsy ones that supposedly reduce packaging. Instead it makes it a little more dangerous to bring yogurt on public transportation because you never know when the foil top may break and leak yogurt everywhere.

But I ramble. What a lovely and heartfelt way to lift the spirits of a housebound friend! I'm so glad she's better now of course, but I would become very used to a weekly tradition of a lovely meal brought over by a great friend. :)

By the way: we made the pizzas tonight and they were fantastic!
Lori Lynn said…
YAY Christina - this is fabulous. Every dish is a treasure. Good luck my friend, you are a star for sure!
LL
Asha @ FSK said…
First of all I simply love your idea of recycling!! Everything looks sooo elegant!!

And, I just love the first photo!
Tiffany said…
Beautifully done!
Jean said…
Now this is a picnic menu I can really go for. I love your use of recycled containers-it makes the whole package look so much better. I'm glad that your friend is better now so you could fully enjoy the beautiful picnic you prepared.

BTW, I meant to mention in one of your earlier PFB posts that I've been enjoying some good Malbec here at home, too. :-)
Anonymous said…
Your food is always beautiful. I like your macaroon container. Is that an egg carton?
Adelina said…
I enjoyed reading your post and taking the picnic journey with you. I loved everything!
Unknown said…
Brilliant! If I'm really sick, I'd really love it if my friend came round with a fabulous packed lunch like this. But then, I wouldn't want to get well in such a hurry, so she could do it again the next day, and the next! LOL.
Unknown said…
This is outstanding! Your photos are spectacular, your ideas brilliant and the food choices original. Your friend is lucky to have you!
Cherine said…
Wow you always amaze me with your post, creation and photos!! Good luck!!
Another successful challenge Cristina and with each one you raise the bar one step higher ! Looks great and love the idea of recycling these beautiful containers !
Anonymous said…
Well, Cristina, you are outdoing yourself a little more each time and, for sure, you are leading us to HEAVEN !
This is just fantastic and everyone can see for himself - who has not prepared a picinic in his life ? But the beauty is to turn a simple occasion into something so magic and so refined. By the way, I'm happy to not know that I'm not the only one who LOVES (beautiful) tins, jars & boxes. If I had a big flat, I would keep a lot more ; they always come in handy at some point.
You definitely are on the right track, maybe even more so this time I find - perhaps because I love all those bits & pieces so much ? !
Muchisima suerte !
Y.K.W.
Barbara said…
What a lovely post, Cristina! And your containers are all so creative...they make me say: why didn't I think of that! So much more fun than tupperware!

So pleased your friend is doing well and I bet she couldn't wait to see you every week!

Of course, I'm voting for you!
Unknown said…
Wow, spectacular! Do you realize what you've create daaaahling? Housewife bait! I think you are trying to lure me over to Paris (not that you need to lure to hard, I love Paris) and you are going to kidnap me LOL.
I am going to vote for you right now!
*kisses* HH
Claudia said…
I don't know what enchants me more - the food or the containers? But do consider me enchanted.
cookeatlove said…
What a great post. I love your photos. You have my vote.
Megan said…
I love it! Your packaging is clever and so stylish. Everything looks quite delicious as well. I'm sure your friend was thrilled! Great job and good luck :)
What fun and brilliant packaging! Your picnic looks utterly delightful! Wish you'd bring one to my house!
b comme bon said…
Superbe… plein de bonnes surprises dans toutes ces petites boîtes et une façon de ne plus jeter…
Liren said…
The packaging is enough to make my heart swoon, but the lovely contents within are just delicious! Excellent, Cristina! You are a good friend, my dear, your friends are lucky to have you share such a lovely feast.
Duchess said…
Inspired, beautiful, and charming. What an amazing entry. Bravo.
Unknown said…
Again, so perfectly beautiful.
Sippity Sup said…
These tins are such an elegant solution to this challenge. Enjoy one meal... remember another. GREG
Magic of Spice said…
Love the recycling...very quaint :) Great menu, everything sounds and looks delicious :)
Gaby said…
Cristina! I am speechless!! the pictures are beautiful and the food you have selected, a real treat.
It makes me feel so well the fact that someone else collects pretty containers to convert them in prospective food carriers! I can now totally justify a rushed ride to Harrods Food Hall last time I went to London, just 15 mins before they closed .. just to get a couple of La Fermiere yoghurt in their cute terracotta pots..onbviously ladies the point was to keep the pot for future treat holding!
Well done darling Cristina!no need to mention I've voted for you.
PS: that is a lovely pair of spoon you have on the tomato verrine picture..
I just voted for you, Chica Mama!
Butter said…
Gorgeous. Fabulous. Delicious! I love your ideas and they are all so pretty. You thought of everything - jars, little baskets, tea tins, cheese and egg boxes,.. All filled with beautiful and decadent foods. Oh my, what a lucky friend you have! I love that you wrapped the mushroom cakes with silk paper and ribbon, what a wonderful idea.

You have such a nice touch with everything.
Already voted. Good luck!
Butter
(from Running On Butter)
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody

Thank you SO much !!! You are just fabulous !!!
Beautiful post! I love the care and creativity you put into designing the presentation of everything. And not only that, it was all recycled too! Thanks for the personal backstory, it made for a compelling post overall. Fantastic job!
Vicki Wilde said…
You terrines look absolutely decadent! I love marscapone on anything :) Perfect meal on the go.
you are brilliant! this is the best i've seen for this challenge. you made it look so elegant.. your friend is so lucky to have you. good luck!!
Torviewtoronto said…
lovely pictures post and detail
Unknown said…
OMG You would SO get my vote for the packaging alone!!!! First off to be so thoughtful about the packaging, truly being green but while doing that giving it an amazing look! I adore this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then add to it you are one of the few that actually posted the entire list of recipes!!!! KUDOS! That alone should count as double votes! I'm sorry, why blog in a food blog about something you created that's so divine and then leave us all to GUESS how to make it? Well, evidently tons of the bloggers thought that was a perfectly fine idea! DUH! So YOU my lady get a double vote (Ok, it won't let me do that but I'm coming back tomorrow LOL) just because you not only were so creative but you gave us the actual recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT JOB! Oooooh you so make me want to go to France! LOL WONDERFUL!
Nancy said…
Cristina, you never seize to amaze me with your talent! By far your Road Trip Challenge is the best, most creative, luxurious yet practical and frugal entry. Bravo and scrumptious!
@ Spicy Foodie:

@ Hockeygal4ever:

@ so may others...

Thank you for appreciating what I try to show...serious work...serious cooking !!! I am not in this contest to prove how popular I am...i am here to show that I appreciate my readers...how? trying to be professional!
I am not perfect, I am not the best..but I DO try to be professional ....
Foodandthrift said…
You remind me of myself…I thought I was the only frugal one that saves all the containers to recyle for food, or dessers. Fabulous food and job. I am now voting for you! Just beautiful!
Joie de vivre said…
Incredible post! I love the menu, the tins, the recipes, the pictures. I'm kind of in love with the lavender lemonade too! This is my first time on your blog (found you through Foodbuzz) and I'm so glad. It's wonderful. You have my vote!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Joie de Vivre

Thanks for your comment and welcome to my blog!
Unknown said…
Christina, I have enjoyed following your posts for the FB challenge but this one may be my favorite. Very creative use of such interesting containers, all sentimental and the roses- just perfect, thanks for sharing, Patty
eataduckimust said…
wow this has got to be the best one i've seen out of the whole challenge. impeccably stylish and delicious- and i love recycling! :)
bunkycooks said…
This is an incredible 6th round! I have been off of the computer much of the time lately, but am still cheering you on! I wish you could deliver this meal to me when I have my surgery next month! ;)
Anonymous said…
In- cre-í-ble!!! Sos la mejor!
Te vas aproximando a la recta final.
Bravissima cara Cristina!
Baci
Graciela
Heather said…
What beautiful, clever packaging for your gorgeous little pieces of edible art!! Love this post.
Quay Po Cooks said…
I voted and look forward to vote for you again next round! Best of Luck!
Medifast Coupon said…
What a beautiful lunch. Love all the serving tins and jars, your friend is a lucky lady. Wonderful she is feeling better.
Trish said…
Gorgeous photos and I adore your blog! I miss real French cheese and macarons. Good luck w/ PFB.
GORGEOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Absolutely. You know I was in Paris a few weeks ago and I brought back loads of the most delightful yogurt jars - isn't France a treasure? Congratulations on being in Project FB too and on your newspaper feature, Well done.
Victoria said…
Cristina, te felicito me encanto todo très chic..cuanto ingenio y buen gusto..buenisimo! cheers...como dice mi hijo Matias

Popular Posts