Where are my Churros? Almost a Fairy Tale - Churros, with Apples Sauté in Calvados Crème Caramel, Ice-cream and Chocolate Sauce


There isn't one bakery in Buenos Aires which does not have churros..They are part of my childhood, particularly in the winter: hot chocolate with churros!! I still remember my fingers, full of sticky sugar...and then as a child, licking my fingers... and then, the same sticky fingers would be used to "fish" the churro crumbs...on the plate or on the table.....


Once upon a time, there was a different churro. He was not like the others.... He was a swirly churro, tired of his sugary apparel... So one day, he left Buenos Aires to flirt with a more refined lady...et oui! he fell in love with a French marquise , and this lady in appreciation of this brave "caballero" (knight) decided to offer him the best she had: the unctuosity of a caramel cream, with a touch of Calvados, and the apples... the quintessence of Normandy! and as if this were not enough...chocolate, as silky as a royal gown...Ah, ladies in love..!!! They lose their heads for sweet words of love!!! Et oui, c'est l'amour!!!



A good dessert should be a palette of flavors and textures...Here: the cold vanilla ice-cream meets the still hot caramel sauce...the Calvados sends a strong, even masculine note to this encounter, juicy apples made even sweeter in their sugary bath...


Crispy churros and walnuts for the joy of something to crunch...and chocolate adds the glow, the velvet...Do you need any more?




A bigger spoon, maybe...Or the fingers...the fingers of child to clean, to polish this Martini glass to spotless perfection...Wouldn't you do that? 


Unfortunately, fairy tales always come to an end...Alas! Romance between aristocracy and ordinary people seldom prospers...Hence, our "caballero" found himself back in the streets of Buenos Aires...broken-hearted...but disillusion didn't last long...Very soon, he fell in love again (Ah, men and their unsteady spirits...!) This time it was a sweet and simple "porteña" (girl from Buenos Aires): Señorita Dulce de Leche....The infatuation still goes on...one "churro" with "dulce de leche"....Do you need any more?



For the recipe, with step by step photos, click below....














Churros with Apples Sauté in Calvados Caramel Cream, Ice-cream and Chocolate Sauce


For the churros: * water, 250gr * butter, 50gr * all-purpose flour, 250gr * eggs, 3 * salt, one pinch * frying oil


Put the water, butter, and salt in a saucepan. Take it to a boil. Add all the flour at one time. Lower the heat. Stir with a wooden spoon till the batter becomes like a ball that doesn't stick to the wall of the saucepan. In very low heat, continue stirring this batter..we are trying to dry it. This will give our churro batter consistence (same principle for "pâte à choux" in profiteroles)





Then, in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, we will add the eggs one by one..Why do I show the eggs and not myself in the process of breaking each egg? Everybody can do that...! and I find the photo of the eggs beautiful in its natural perfection !!!


Do you need a stand-mixer or can we do it by hand? Of course you can do it by hand!! But this batter gets very thick...and when we make big quantities, it can put a strain on your wrist...so I prefer to use the mixer. Remember! add one egg, mix until completely incorporated...then the other!


You see? It is smooth but thick!  Then, transfer the pâte to a piping bag with a star tip (n° 18). Make the swirly churros on parchment paper or directly on a non-stick baking tray.


Take the tray to the freezer, till the churros are hard (2 hours will be enough). Carefully, remove the churros from the tray or paper. Fry them in hot oil till golden brown.


For the apples, sauté in crème caramel: * green apples, 1 kilo *sugar, 150gr * Calvados or rhum, 2 tablespoons * cream, 200gr * walnuts, 150gr * vanilla ice-cream, 500gr








Comments

A fabulous speciality! I love how you presented your coiled churros.

Cheers,

Rosa
Miriam said…
Ooooh, churros!! También son tan tradicionales en España... qué ricos. Qué actualización tan estupenda, con la manzana y el chocolate.
Cherine said…
Oh my, I'm drooling here!! Your churros look mouthwatering!!
Vanillagirl said…
I love churros! How you have combined them with the apples and cream sauce, it looks heavenly! Beautiful photos as well :)!
Barbara said…
Oh Cristina! That last photo did me in! How divine!
wow, quite an impressive dessert. this looks heavenly.
Unknown said…
This is a great love story daaaahling, and I am in love with this. All your photos are so beautiful.
I hope you will make this desert for me, because this goes way beyond my abilities I'm afraid, plus I am afraid to deep fry (cause i once started a big fire :( for real!).
Absolutely fantastic! You really deserve to win the food buzz challenge more than anyone I know.
*kisses* HH
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Heavenly Housewife

Promised!! If I win, I will make this for you!!
hi cristina, this is my first time visiting your blog. i am so impressed at how talented you are. your blog is so beautiful. thank you for sharing this.
Carol y verol said…
Lo siento Cristina pero me has matado con tu postre..Creo que la proxima vez que tenga invitados en casa la realizaré..Deliciosa!! saludos desde la Bretaña francesa. Carolina
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Carolina,

Bienvenida a mi blog !!! Sos argentina?
fromBAtoParis said…
@Blackbookkitchendiaries:

Welcome to my blog and thanks for the comments!!!
Torviewtoronto said…
delicious step by step pictures
Tanya said…
Cristina, I think this has to be my favourite recipe. Oh how I want to have some now!

Your photos are beautiful as always. Keep it up!
Claudia said…
No - I don't need anything more - just your churros. If I go to Paris will you give me a cooking lesson?
Marcella said…
Cristina, que rico!!!!! Yum... I almost ate the screen. :) I have to agree with Tanya. I think this was my favorite recipe so far. And I absolutely love the story telling. You made me laugh here. Love it!
Anonymous said…
This looks delicious! yummy!
En mi casa es tradición comer churros con chocolate todos los sábados, tenemos que probar tu propuesta :)
Jean said…
Not just the drool-worthy churros but the story and the presentation, too: They all brought a smile to my face. Thanks for a beautiful start to my Friday. :-)
Very cute write-up with a ROMANTIC twist. I could totally fall in love with this!
Adelina said…
Cristina, you're killing me with your words and beautiful photos. I love churros, but never would have imagined to eat them this way. Sending you my love.
jen cheung said…
fabulous dessert you made here! thanks for sharing :) delicious!


have a lovely weekend!
jen @ www.passion4food.ca
Chef Marijoe said…
Que divino!!! estos son de verdad unos churros de cuento de Hadas!
Gaby said…
Hey Cristina I'm so craving churros now! I prefer the bakery ones rather to the Churreria ones.. don't know why! maybe because the panaderia ones have a lovely salty heart.
You're so wanderfully creative!
Have a lovely weekend.
So this looks more than YUMM! I love this! How tasty! Its very coold coiled the way it is....
Charlotte said…
lovely fairy tale!:) my heart melts with both the french and argentinian lovers! the modern twist of serving churros got me drooling, but at the same time, the simplicity of the dulce de leche is so much of an ideal comfort food!
Nirmala said…
Maravillosa! I love churros and they curl around. The chocolate makes it extra special.
I love your presentation but will you believe I have never had churros!!?? Terrible - I must change this soon! The photos are gorgeous but then, that is nothing new, is it? ;)