Tarte Fine: Champignons/ Tomato



It is very difficult to write a food blog, in a language that is not yours....Your difficulties begin when you try to explain a recipe.. Not matter how much, or for how many years you studied a foreign language, nobody teaches you the subtleties of "cooking vocabulary". So, for each of my posts, I spend an enormous amount of time checking words, looking up words in the dictionary, internet, etc....
And out of the sphere of cooking, I am also in trouble when I try to express my feelings..I feel like someone with a leg in a cast, trying to win a race...I can give you an idea of what I feel but never the full extent...Somebody said: "We can only love and hate in our own language", and that's so true! 
So today, I feel my heart is bursting..and I have so many things to tell you!! I feel completely overwhelmed by what has happened this week...You have been SO generous in your appreciation of my previous post...and a million words of thankfulness are in my heart and in my mind..but they are all in Spanish! and I feel that what I can say in English seems so poor, in comparison...and I'm writing this with tears in my eyes..yes! because tears should not be the realm of suffering, or sadness...Tears come also when our heart does not know how to tackle so much happiness, surprise, thankfulness... I feel and I know I am a "mere nobody" in this world of blogging, so each single comment you sent, for me...for me, has been like a piece of bloggers' heaven! 
Muchisimas gracias !!! Cada una de sus palabras quedara para siempre en mi memoria...asi pierda (lo cual probablemente suceda!) Ustedes YA me hicieron feliz!! Muchisimas gracias!!



Well, and now I don't cry any more...I leave you in company of this super-simple "tarte fine". It is the champignon season, and I have been so busy with the contest and whatnot...that I thought about this...so easy to make..yet delicious!!! Almost no pastry...to crown the flavor...


of these champignons, tomatoes, a bit of persil, a little "shower" of olive oil...and it's Cristina: fleur de sel and piment d'Espelette


If you believe you need a recipe, look below...






Tarte Fine à la Tomate et Champignons 


* Buy some good quality puff pastry (400gr), spread it on a floured board, with a rolling pin till it is 3mm thick. Cut out rectangles, circles, small, big..as you wish! (here I followed the shape of my dish) Place the tarts on a baking sheet, sprinkled with cold water. Refrigerate for 30'; Pre-heat your oven 200°C. Bake the tarts, first 5', then, put some parchment paper on top, and a heavy baking sheet, to prevent the tarts from growing thick..Bake 10' more. 
Slice the champignons (previously lightly washed and dried) and the tomatoes (unseeded). Arrange the slices, just as you want..a line, rosette...Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and chopped persil. Bake (210°C) for 4'. Season with "fleur de sel" and piment d'Espelette

Comments

Roxan said…
Christina I would have never known that English isn't your primary language! Personally, I welcome you to write in Spanish whenever you want to or feel the need :) I think these days most people have a grasp of the language and can figure out what you're saying... If not, there's always Google translate!! Beautiful tart, I love mushrooms.
so delicate and refined! This beautiful tart carries well it's name.

Cheers,

Rosa
Miriam said…
Pues yo voy a seguir votándote, así que guárdate más lágrimas, jaja. Cariños.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Miriam

Gracias Miriam!! me hacés reir!!

@ Roxan

thanks for the advice, Roxan!
Unknown said…
Congratulations on getting this far in the competition. I really do hope you win.
Seriously, you wouldn't know from your blog that English isn't your first language.
*kisses* HH
Monica said…
Cristina.. como tu, ingles no es mi primera lengua, incluso, ni la segunda.. pero como tu, nos hacemos entender, que es lo mas importante!

Aunque a veces no nos podemos expresar como quisieramos en nuestra lengua adoptiva.

Total, you are doing very well!
I would have never guessed that you didn't consider yourself fluent in English.

Honestly, you write beautifully. Much more so than some whom speak English as their mother tongue.

And the tart? Spectacular.
Cherine said…
Cada uno de tus post me encanta. Venir a verte es un placer para los sentidos y tus textos aunque en ingles son interesantes.
La tarta es muy rica!
Cristina~ You express yourself wonderfully through words and food! You need to give yourself a little credit!
Stella said…
Cristina! No pienso que te tomes bastanta credito-tu ingles es perfecto y se puede sentir tus sentimientos y pasion al leer tus posts. Quizas es lo que dices tu acerca de 'amor y odio' en la lengua materna de cada individuo;) Es que tu no notas la belleza de tu escritura en Ingles...quizas.
Oh, and this tart is beautiful too by the way. Now I'm speaking in my maternal language (smile)...
XO, Stella
Adelina said…
Oh Cristina! I wish I can express myself in Spanish to say how thankful to access your posts from so much far away. I love your beautiful creation and your writing. I actually was wondering few days back how beautiful you write... I agree on your statement... Even though I have been living in California for more than 20 years, when I need to express love to my children, it comes out Armenian.
Your command of the English language is quite beautiful! But when in doubt know that your photography speaks volumes + your giving soul shines through! As always, love your blog. :) xo
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody:

Thank you very much for your encouraging words!! I will face the next post with "less complex" ;D
Claudia said…
I love simple tarts llike this - using nature's bounty, dressed with a drizzle of oil and fleur de sel and you are in business.

I have never mastered another language (I can order out and get a hotel room in Paris and drink to your health in Italian). It is something I still long to do. Your English is beautiful as are your sentiments.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Claudia,

Thanks Claudia..Through your blog, we also "see" a very special person!
Barbara said…
Well, Cristina, you darling girl, you deserve every bit of praise we heap on you! And I think you do a marvelous job of expressing yourself; anyone reading who did not know, would think English was your first language.
You're doing so well with this contest...I just know you will be a winner! I think you were so brave and confident to enter...but then you do everything with such love, imagination and care.

Love your tomato tart...and wish I could have a slice for lunch today; elegant and delicious.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Barbara:

Thanks a lot, Barbara! People will think you are my sister...LOL! No, honestly, I appreciate a lot these words coming from you...Thanks again!
Unknown said…
The tomato mushroom tart looks like a perfect light plate, I think I will give your recipe a try. As for your English writing skills, they are flowing quite naturally:)
Gaby said…
Cristina my dear, I understand so well this about "loving and hating in your own language"!
But rest assure that your English is perfectly fine. Your articles "communicate" and this is the most important achievement. The grammar and word choice are spotless but they would be a worthless quality without your touch and the way you combine them to make us smile every time you post.

Moving away from compliments.. thank goodness you mentioned Fleur de Sel! I read a while ago your note about how special it is and I have been for about a week now trying to remember how it was called! Hope to find it here in England. Do you think it may be any similar to Himalayan pink salt? I saw this one in my local supermarket...
Divine tart by the way!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Gaby:

I have never used salt from Himalaya while cooking..I've seen it is like big pink chunks...I don't know if you have to grate them...Fleur de sel provides the fine crystals that are so agreeable to crunch...my kids love it!
Thanks for all your comments!!
Cristina
jen cheung said…
this looks delicious and healthy! just what I need on my diet. I want to make this sometime! thanks for sharing!

have a lovely thanksgiving weekend!
jen @ www.passion4food.ca
Anonymous said…
If you want to know what Cristina is up to, just browse into her blog - always something new there !!! I love " tartes fines ", savoury and sweet alike . Thanks for the tip about how to cook flaky pastry . I personnally would sprinkle the parsley after cooking the tart , both for vitamins' and for colour's sake.
Hasta la proxima !

P.S. Were you fishing for compliments ? !!!
Well done as always !!!! You express yourself through your lovely photos and delicious recipes ! Please don't worry :)
Congrats on top 9 today !!!
Jenny said…
I think you expressed yourself very well throught your words and through your photos :) Well done on the top 9..
Nancy said…
Cristina your English is perfect. And you deserve each and everyone of the votes you have and will continue to receive from all of us. You know for me Spanish was my first language and English the second. But now I find it more difficult to express myself in Spanish, like you I just don't feel like I can convey my message enough. That's why I don't write to you in Spanish. Keep up the great work y yo tambien seguire votandote!