Risotto al Nero di Seppia, with Sauteed Calamari...e dopo morire!! (Squid Ink Risotto)




The title of this dish sounded so Italian, so musical when pronounced..and then I remembered my father's phrase (maybe, one of the few phrases he knew in Italian) "e dopo morire" meaning nothing in life would give you as much pleasure...
I love risotto in all forms, and I love making risotto...It requires mastering a technique..OK, you don't need a PhD in Culinary Sciences to make it ;D but little tricks have to be respected! if not it will be dry, or just simply, not "al dente" (check for do's & don'ts in my recipe section). And then the squid, sauteed, the perfect amount of time so as not to end up with a "plastic ring". 


I find this recipe "al nero di seppia", not only delicious but also elegant! When you add the ink to the arborio rice that we have made "nacré" (turn into a pearly color), it becomes a gray pearl, like the ones I see in the jewelry shops in the Place Vendôme...so exquisite, so unique in its gray/white glow...
So I thought this dish would be perfect for Valentine's Day!! I hope you get gray pearl earrings too!! (Will my husband read this post? Sniff, sniff...most often, he only looks at the photos =(


I hope you enjoy it as much as I do !! I would also like to thank my friend Chef Gaston Stivelmaher, from Le Grand Véfour, for teaching me this recipe! Also, I would like to express all my appreciation to Emily, from Splendid Market, for giving me the "Stylish Blogger Award"...I love that!!! Thank you Emily!!!





 To make this Risotto al Nero di Seppia, with Sauteed Calamari, you will need:
(4 servings)


*arborio rice, 300gr *onion, sliced, 1 *dry white wine, 200ml *fish stock, 300ml *vegetable stock, 200ml *butter, 2 tbsp *olive oil, 2tbsp *squid ink, 12gr *red bell pepper, 1, cut in brunoise *salt, pepper & parmesan cheese, to taste
*calamari rings and /or prawns, according to taste

In a saucepan or cocotte, heat the olive oil to sauté the sliced onion and the red bell pepper. Add in the rice. Stir constantly until the rice changes to a "pearl" color (nacré). Don't allow rice to burn! Pour in the wine, stir till completely absorbed. Then add in the squid ink, and start adding first the fish stock....The stock has to be hot, if not, if cold, you stop the cooking process of the risotto! Don't add more stock until the first one is completely absorbed! Then add in the vegetable stock. You can use more or less squid ink according to how black you want this rice to taste. Total cooking time will be aprox. 20'. Rectify seasoning.Before the stock is completely absorbed and when rice is almost "al dente", turn off the fire. Let it rest 2'. Add in the butter. In this recipe, we are not adding mascarpone or a lot of parmesan cheese, because we want to taste like sea food! While the rice is resting, heat a bit of olive oil in a frying pan, and cook the calamari rings, just a few seconds each side, same with the prawns, that you have previously peeled and cleaned (intestine removed).

Comments

Miriam said…
Quieres creer que yo no he probado jamás nada con tinta de calamar? Buf, es que ese color... me repele y mucho. Pero en tu foto el arroz está fotogénico... a lo mejor si me invitases lo probaba, jaja.
This dish has such wonderful colors! So constrasting. A beautiful recipe.

Cheers,

Rosa
fromBAtoParis said…
@Miriam

Cuando quieras, Miriam! A ver cuando venis a Paris!!
Tanya said…
Okay, now that I've read the recipe I'm more in love with it. I, too, love risotto and I love preparing it.

I will add this to my arsenal and will make it for my hubby in the near future.

Also, thank you for the beauty of your posts! You are an inspiration and you make me want to cook even more. Keep it up!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Tanya

Oh, thank you, Tanya! I feel flattered!
Bellissima ricetta e se posso correggere in italiano ..
...e dopo morire
un abbraccio grande a tutti voi e anche un bacio♥
fromBAtoParis said…
@Steffania

Grazie !!! Corrected !!!
That, my dear, is the loveliest dish I've seen all week! I bet it tastes as appealing as it looks!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ A Spicy Perspective

Well...that's a compliment. Thanks !!
Anonymous said…
En mi casa Mama hacia este plato de vez en cuando. Brought me back memories of my Mami. You derserve the award twice fold as I always tell you...you are an elegant broad...JAJA!

Saludos.

Norma
Unknown said…
You really are one of the most stylish food bloggers on the net daaaaahling, that is a work of art, absolutely beautiful.
*kisses* HH
Mjosé said…
Aquí hacemos mucho este plato, pero el tuyo tiene una presentación distinta y una pinta buenísima.
Nancy said…
Wow, what a fabulous dish! You know I really hate it when I order calamari/squid in a restaurant and it comes out like rubber, yuck! But your Risotto looks like it tasted heavenly and perfect in texture. Congrats on the award and hope you get those grey pearl earrings:)
Graciela said…
Hola! Los calamares en su tinta los comi en San Sebastian, al ladito de Lasarte, el pueblo bien entendido, jaja! Tu preparacion tiene buena pinta pero donde diablos se consigue la tinta, porque la de los cartuchos no debe servir... es azul lavable! Besitos G
fromBAtoParis said…
Yo consegui la tinta en las Galeries Gourmandes, del Palais des Congres..En las pescaderias no hay, salvo encargando!
Gracias !! Besitos!
Barbara said…
Another prize-winning photo, Cristina! Just lovely. I'm quite fond of calamari...use it in salads all the time. Not quite certain about squid ink risotto, but anything you make must be delicious! You've never steered me wrong yet.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Barbara

Gaining the respect of my readers and fellow-bloggers is the only thing I intend...Thanks Barbara!
i cant agree more with HH .. this is one stylish dish :)
Belen said…
Hola Cristina, me encanta tu blog, tus recetas y tus fotografias genial. Yo acabo de crear el mio y mi hermana (su blog es "en mi cocina y alrededores") me dirigió al tuyo pues compartimos los mismos gustos cocina, fotografía y soy una enamorada de Paris (en cuanto puedo me escapo). Enhorabuena y te voy a seguir.
FOODalogue said…
Yes, Cristina, you make anything look elegant!

The first time I had a risotto of calamari en su tinta was in Venice about 20 years ago. It was love at first sight.
Unbelievable photo AND dish!
That dish looks absolutely gorgeous - I love any Italian dish featuring Squid Ink!
Expat Recipe said…
Awesome presentation and Great Photo
What stunning photography! We'd love for you to share your stuff with us at dishfolio.com!
Aldy said…
oh là là...Beautiful,a work of art!!!

Pura inspiracion y preciosas las fotos :) Te digo que al igual que vos soy una enamorada del risotto y si es cierto tiene sus trucos. Cuanto mas seguido se hace mas se aprende :) And after reading your recipe I could see you are an Expert on the Risotto subject!

And don't worry...my husband does the same thing!!He just look at the photos of my post... :0 Estos hombres :)


Besotes from NZ,

Aldy.
Anonymous said…
Hello!

You took advantage of my being away for a couple of days to produce 2 more posts ;)D - Wow !
I love risotto with seafood and I do it from time to time. You know what ? I learned how to do it in B.A. on Gourmet TV, from the Chef of a famous italian restaurant !
But after seeing yours, I shall have to do something about my presentation !

Congratulations - as usual !
Y.K.W.
Sippity Sup said…
Squid Ink is not so easy for me to find. Even in Los Angeles. But I should put the effort in because I had the most amazing Squid Ink Rissoto in Croatia and have always fantasized about recreating it. You recipe will make it that much easier to do just that. GREG
fromBAtoParis said…
@Sippity Sup

It was also hard for me to find here in Paris. Finally I got it in a specialty gourmet store, but as you say, it was worth the effort..
Thanks!
Unknown said…
Hi Cristina, I recently enjoyed a risotto with squid ink, razor clams, peas and bacon. I had this risotto as a first course at a Relais Chateaux property in the Yarra Valley of Australia, it was heavenly. I love this recipe with the calamari, it is so simple and beautiful! I also enjoyed reading some of the press about your blog. Congratulations for your award and all your mentions in the press;-) About those gray pearls...absolutely delicious as well;-)
Magic of Spice said…
Most definitely an elegant dish...I too love risotto and have never though to prepare with a squid ink, although I have with pasta.
I have such pearl earrings and a matching pendant, so I will be sending powerful wishes for you to have as well :)
Have a lovely weekend :)
Magic of Spice said…
P.S. Congratulations on your award :)
Amy said…
I love the pictures. Great dish too. Thanks.