My Tribute to Japan: Matcha Tea Macarons, with Chocolate / Grapefruit Cream, from Hotel Meurice, Paris...and for Wine Lovers, a Tastevin..What is a Tastevin?



Originally, I had planned to post something else...but then I thought it was a good idea to post something reminiscent of Japan..to show we think about the Japanese people, their suffering, their silent despair...
So I remembered I had seen in a French magazine, this recipe by Chef Yannick Alléno, from the Hotel Meurice: his "détox" macarons, where Matcha tea marries a grapefruit / white chocolate ganache...an exquisite blend...refined in its very nature...so I didn't need much more!




Macarons and tea found a perfect nest each in a tastevin. Now, what is a tastevin? Don't worry..I didn't know the meaning of this word until a very special friend gave me these two pieces for my birthday next Monday... The tastevin is a small silver cup used in the past (before the advent of electricity) to view and judge wine (Regular glasses were too deep for accurate judging in faint light) The multifaceted surface allowed light to reflect the visual properties of wine ! You can read more about this here or here



I think these tastevins don't mind having changed for once wine for this new precious cargo...
These macarons, so subtle in their taste, sober in their refinement are (for me) the embodiment of Japanese art and culture....
I don't have but respect for these people, and I honestly hope their tragedy will come to an end soon...
All my prayers with you..Japan! 





To make the macarons, follow my basic recipe here, adding 5gr of Matcha tea to the almond powder.

For the Grapefruit Cream:
*grapefuit juice, 175ml *cream, 350gr *vanilla pod, 1 *gelatin sheets, 3 1/2 *white chocolate, 250gr *grapefruit zest, 1

Put the gelatin sheets in a bowl with cold water. In the meanwhile, chop the chocolate. Put the grapefruit juice, cream, and grains from the vanilla pod in a saucepan and take it to a boil. Rinse the gelatin sheets, and add them to the cream mixture. Combine well. Pour the cream onto the the chocolate. Combine well. Refrigerate for 12 hours. 

(I sprayed these macarons with edible silver spray!) 


Comments

Anonymous said…
Cristina, you are an expert in surprises and originality... To mix macarons (nobody is a match for you there) and tea with a wine-taster, "il fallait le faire" and YOU did it ! The effect is simply gorgeous. Where did you get them ?!
I'm still hoping to be first on your blog - maybe this time ?
Y.K.W.

P.S. I love what you do !
Beautiful Macarons. I think I'm going to try making them sometime soon. It's been a long time. Maybe I'll finally have some sucess?
Hope you have a fabulous weekend.
*kisses*HH
Anonymous said…
So delicate and by the way Feliz Cumpleanos y muchos mas.
Adelina said…
These are gorgeous and I wish I can taste your macaroons one day. I think everyone in Japan will love them too. You're beautiful in every way.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Adelina

Your last sentence is an immense compliment that I hope I merit!
Thanks a lot!
Cherine said…
A beautiful post!!
And beautiful macarons too!
Patty Price said…
I have a tastevin in my kitchen and never knew what it was called. They are really cute;-)

Your post has a beautiful and delicious fantasy quality to it.

I am so touched as we all are about the events and the suffering in Japan. Cristina, you have created a wonderful tribute to Japan here.
FOODalogue said…
Lovely message -- and you always provide such an elegant visual for readers.

Felicidades!
Splendid macarons! I think my grandparents had a silver tastevin....

Cheers,

Rosa
L said…
Your blog has such fantastic photography, and ohh the fooood!...it all looks so deelicious. Beautiful and very creative post, and such pretty, pretty pictures.
–L
Opalblossoms said…
Just discovered your blog and loving the clean crisp feeling! Lovely, yummy photos as well.
Barbara said…
A fine tribute, Cristina. And perfectly lovely macarons. I like the idea of a grapefruit cream.
I recognized the wine-tasters but had no idea what they were called. A gorgeous presentation.
Claudia said…
Exquisite from start to finish. I have never made a macaron - yet. I am scared of it - but I love the idea of the subtle green tea flavor and the delicacy that is so much of Japanese cuisine. The photos are simple and elegant - a hallmark of their culture.
Anonymous said…
Cristina- you have outdone yourself. Such beauty and elegance. We enjoyed some green tea macarons from Pierre Herme during our visit. They were delicious. I love yours with the grapefruit creme! I will have to jump in and attempt 'le macaron'! We are all sending our thoughts to our brothers and sisters in Japan. Cooking seems to help when we feel helpless.
bunkycooks said…
Hi Cristina,

What a beautiful post and the macarons are just perfect. I have been so busy and have not been to visit in some time. Your blog is as lovely as ever.

Gwen
How dainty and delicate they look! I like the silvery effect, almost pearl-like. Lovely tribute :)
Beautiful, the shells are shimmering! The combination of the matcha and the grapefruit filling sounds exquisitely light and delicate.
Liren said…
This is a lovely tribute to Japan - the macarons look perfect! And thanks for teaching me about tastevin - I have never heard of it before and am so intrigued!
Aldy said…
Cris, Una delicadeza total!Sin duda alguna Un hermoso tributo.Como siempre super-chic tus presentaciones

Besotes desde el Pacifico,

Aldy.
I just found your blog and I LOVE it!!!! Will be stalking your blog from now on. LOL!

By the way, I am going to BA next week. (Also to Mendoza and San Juan). Any good restaurant recommendations?

thanks,
Jen
fromBAtoParis said…
@Jen

Thanks for your comment! Here go the recommendations for BA: (Argentinian Barbecue) La Cabrera-Palermo ; (pizza & empanadas) Los Inmortales-Recoleta; (pasta) la Parolaccia- Puerto Madero, (argentinian fine dining) Tegui-Palermo; Chez Nous-Recoleta
I hope you enjoy your trip!!
Un beso,
Cristina
Belen said…
Una entrada muy bonita, y esos macarons... buena receta. ¿Fue tu cumple? felicidades y un beso.
Magic of Spice said…
These are so lovely and a perfect tribute to are friends that need our encouragement and support...
L said…
thank you so much for stopping by! waiting for your next post :-)

Travel Designery
Trish said…
So beautiful. Love the natural hue of green you got from the matcha. And for such a worthy cause.
Lori Lynn said…
Those are breathtaking Cristina!
I felt compelled to "cook" for Japan too. I posted a warm comforting bowl of Tan Tan Udon last week.
God bless the people of Japan.
LL
Thanks, Cristina, for your recommendations! Appreciate it!
These are gorgeous, and so incredibly thoughtful. Love it.
Madeleine said…
Cristina, could you make a measurement suggestion for those of us who would be using powdered gelatin? I'm dying to try this out but I only have the powdered stuff in my pantry. Merci!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Madeleine

Yes, of course. One sheet is 2 grams. Thanks for your interest
Good luck!

Popular Posts