My Last Winter Mini-Tartelette !



After some days in summery Buenos Aires, I came back to a cold Paris...chilly but sunny..and that, as everybody who lives here knows, is a real blessing! The following morning, on my way to do some shopping, I crossed Foch Avenue, and there I found all these flowers, framed by enormous still-bare trees....


And there, it dawned on me: winter is coming to an end..Thanks God! We have had such a harsh winter...but then, probably because melancholy is one of the traits of my personality, instead of thinking of all that is coming: fruits, fresh greens..I thought of all I would leave behind: braised meats, citrus, tartlets full of nuts...


So this mini-tartelette made its way to this blog..to you! The crust? An almond "pâte sucrée"
Then, all the nuts we like, or we have at home plus pistachios...Then dried fruits: here apricots, and orange marmelade, to balance the sweet caramel...!


I love the extra-small size of these treats (6cm), because sometimes it is only a question of having a tiny sweet thing with our coffee...just to satisfy our craving for something sweet, without exaggerating....




Making the tartlets can be a challenge at times: remember the "pâte" has to be cold to work with it properly...and don't overcook the caramel...otherwise it will taste bitter, instead of sweet! (though in this recipe, the addition of glucose gives you more "flexibility" in time)
Don't feel discouraged if the first time they don't look like out of a shelf of a Parisian pâtisserie! The human being should beat the inanimated thing (this is what I always repeat myself!) , at least in theory... ;D
I hope you enjoy them..They are great!



To make these tartlets, you will need:




For the pâte sucrée, follow recipe and instructions here, using 6cm ring molds.


For the filling:


*glucose, 80gr *sugar, 200gr *cream, 100gr *butter, 30gr *a pinch of salt *orange marmelade, 100gr * mixed nuts, 150gr (all chopped coarsely except for the pistachios that you will keep whole) *dried apricots, 60gr

In a saucepan, start making a caramel with the glucose and sugar (add the sugar progressively, in batches) When it gets to a light golden colour, remove from the heat. Add the butter (room temperature) and salt. Stir. Then add the cream and marmelade (previously heated in the microwave). Be careful! Then cream has a tendency to splash, particularly if you add it cold!! Finally add all the nuts and apricots. Combine well. Fill your tartlets. 







Comments

Oh, those are fabulous! What a great way to say goodbye to winter and hello to spring. Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa
Miriam said…
Son las tartaletas más bonitas que he visto nunca! Te quedan perfectas, eres una fenómena.
@Miriam

Que me "estoy poniendo gorda"! Gracias Miriam!!
Those are lovely! I would never had thought to do that with nuts and a tart.

In fact, when I first saw the picture I thought it a savory tart. Silly me! :o)
Roadtrek Girl said…
Just beautiful-loved reading about your travels.
Anonymous said…
Picasso had his blue and his pink periods. YOU are in your orange one it seems : such a spirit-lifting and photogenic colour !
Your tarts are sooo appetizing!
Just what I would need now together with a soothing tea, in order to relax after watching Kief Sutherland in "24" !

Y.K.W.
fromBAtoParis said…
@YKW

Wow !! I didn't know all that about Picasso..Thanks!
Claudia said…
What a beautiful post! We are a month away from spring but I'll take it via your blog. And your mini-tartelette - is a fitting curtsy to bidding winter farewell.
Anonymous said…
I think I suffer from the same cynicism as you when it comes to the end of winter...and I like to transition it the best I can. I would happily take on a tartlet or two to while away the bad winter blues--but then I'd be assuring some freak March storm that is awful.

That is life in the Northeast of the U.S.

Naturally, your photos look positively enticing. If I didn't have a list of things to make between now and the end of winter I'd add this to it...but I will save it for a cold streak in April.
Asha @ FSK said…
Lovely tartelettes christina!! Love the lusciousness of the caramel and the richness of the dried fruits and nuts.
Cherine said…
What a beautiful way to say goodbye to winter!! Those tartelettes look so tempting!!
Jamie said…
Wow these are stunningly pretty and unexpected! Fabulous photos and tartlets to warm a French winter. Which I need now, as well!
quelle merveille !! un enchantement de couleurs et de saveurs, des photos magnifiques !! merci
Oh Cristina, I'm nearly speechless. That photo of the glorious dripping tartlette is almost too much to bare! Brilliant recipe!
Unknown said…
Here in England, daffodils are the first sign of spring. I feel so happy to see their yellow faces, knowing that winter will soon be over. I would also be super happy if one of these beautiful tartlettes come my way! You do know how to make the most amazing treats!
*kisses* HH
FOODalogue said…
What a lovely post -- enticing recipe and beautiful photos. I'm sure it was equally hard to leave BA as it was easy to return to Paris. Two fabulous locations.
Unknown said…
This is a beautiful post Cristina, from your photographs to your recipe, you have all my attention ;-)
Thanks for the picture of Paris, the flowers look good. Yes Spring is coming!
Joyti said…
I know, I can't wait for spring to arrive in California either.
And your tartlettes look and sound gorgeous!
Barbara said…
Amazing. That photo of the caramel dripping into your hand is wonderful, Cristina! That alone makes me want to try this recipe. I do love the nice tall tart shells too. Most unusual tart ingredients. Lovely job, as usual!

Glad Paris is showing signs of spring at last!
Nico said…
very nice cristine, those look very good!
Adelina said…
I love them Cristina. You're making the departure really hard after these mouth watering desert. Your blog and you make me want to move to Paris.
Nancy said…
I'm glad I stopped by because I didn't know you were back. Your tartelettes look perfect and a great way to welcome Spring. We've been lucky with great sunny (yet cold) weather.
Magic of Spice said…
I absolutely love these gorgeous little treats!
Liren said…
This is incredible, Cristina! Sweet and salty, and I just love that shot of it oozing out after a bite!
tasteofbeirut said…
Your photos are always so exquisite and the shot of the caramel dripping off the tartlets was too good! Excellent dessert, to keep!
Those tartlettes are beautiful,as beautiful as anything you could buy in a patisserie. And those pictures are so tempting, especially the one with the caramel oozing out.
Trish said…
gorgeous! beautiful photos. Thanks goodness, indeed, winer is coming to an end.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Everybody

Thanks you all !! So glad you loved these tartelettes!!
Jean said…
Cristina, a belated welcome back from Buenos Aires!

What a fabulous tartelette--it has all the flavors I love. So elegant, too.
S said…
very 'caramelly' delicious. welcome back home, from your home in BA. x shayma
Stella said…
Hey Cristina, this is the kind of stuff I see you make that gives me a feeling of being overwhelmed. I just don't know if I have the equipment or know how to make something so beautiful. Aesthetics are not my thing (smile but seriously). Either way though, Wow! These tarts look amazing...
XOXO
Amelia PS said…
Cristina: these are quite interesting, almost like a luxury granola bar. Exquisite.
Lori Lynn said…
These are the most darling photos Cristina!
LL
b comme bon said…
J'aimerais réussir à faire d'aussi belles (parfaites) tartelettes ! bravo…
Anonymous said…
The tarts look soooo delicious!