Healthy Cooking..after Christmas ! Ricotta, Artichoke & Pistachio Ravioli, made with Chinese Dough!



Et oui...I think we have all committed the same "sin" these days...gluttony! Well, but it's almost natural....isn't this what family reunions are about? (Indulgent Cristina speaking from...Purgatory!) Then, we all make ourselves the same promise...no more overeating for...24hs? This is why I thought these ravioli were "perfect"...the fact that they were made with Chinese dough makes them light...you don't eat dough! you eat the filling! in this case, ricotta cheese, sauté artichokes, and grilled pistachios, for the crunch!! 


And you don't have here any buttery, or creamy sauce! Just the same home-made chicken stock you boil them in..plus a dash of persil juice! Well yes! these ravioli are worthy of a Clinique La Prairie restaurant....(?!)



Plus, making them is a lot of fun! I have to be honest and say that I bought the artichokes, to save me the trouble of boiling and peeling them....The Chinese ravioli dough comes in squares!




So, it's a kind of game....just a few minutes and your army of ravioli is ready!






Before leaving you, I would like to tell you that I got a blogger visit here in Paris. Jennifer, from Adventuresome Kitchen is spending some days here with her lovely family, and she kindly contacted me to see if we could meet "live"...I feel so happy and lucky to have met such wonderful people, to have been able to exchange views on food and blog stuff, AND to have had the opportunity to "spoil" her daughters, that are the sweetest creatures I have ever seen! Jennifer writes and cooks mostly gluten-free ! I invite you to pay a visit to her blog! 

Now yes, going back to my ravioli... Buon appetito!!




For the recipe, see below


For these Ricotta/artichoke Ravioli, you will need:
(serves 4) 


*chinese ravioli dough, 50 squares * artichokes, 1 jar (4) * ricotta cheese, 200gr * grilled pistachios, 20gr (coarsely chopped) *home-made chicken stock, 800ml *olive oil, 1tbsp * salt, pepper (to taste) *piment d'Espelette


Cut the artichokes in 0,5cm dice. Sauté them in the olive oil 5'. Season with some salt and piment d'Espelette. Drain. Combine with the ricotta and grilled pistachios. Rectify seasoning. Arrange the dough squares on cutting board. Brush them with water. Put a teaspoonful of the ricotta/artichoke mixture in the middle. Place the other square on top. Push the air out with your fingers, from the edge of the filling to the edge of the pasta. Use a cookie cutter the size of the filling to avoid having extra dough. Cut the ravioli. Take the stock to a boil. Then lower the heat. Pour your ravioli in it (you can do it in separate batches, don't put too many in the saucepan. Once they bounced back to the surface, remove them from the stock. Serve with a little bit of chicken stock, and some persil juice (to do this, dip a bouquet of persil in boiling water 1'. Then, remove and  refresh in icy water. Drain. Mix the persil with some olive oil)

Recipe by Guy Martin (adapted)

Comments

Aldy said…
Cris,

This is just a great recipe! Love these light raviolis! Beautiful :D

Me encanto, se puede apreciar perfectamente en las fotos lo liviano y exquisito de esta pasta.Bravo!

Abrazotes y Felices Fiestas!


Aldy.
A great idea! Those must taste wonderful.

I hope you had a marvelous Xmas.

Cheers,

Rosa
Unknown said…
Oh they look marvellous! What a wonderful idea using the Chinese dough :D
*kisses* HH
Anonymous said…
These are a snap to make and the fact that they are cooked in chicken broth is even better. Thanks for this fantastic recipe and Feliz Ano Nuevo!
Claudia said…
I've been thinking about fresh ravioli for New Years and was thinking of the ease of the "Chinee dough." You have tempted me back into gluttony, Cristina! It looks like pillows from heaven.
Cristina- what a lovely ravioli! I agree with you about the need to eat light apres Noel! I cooked a Bresse Chicken, which was so delicious and rich, and then used the leftovers for a chicken soup! Much needed after a day of gluttony! I'm posting both recipes tonight! It was so lovely to meet you, and I hope it happens again soon. Hope that the weather permitted you to visit Alsace. We have truly loved our visit here- in large part to meeting you! xoxo. Buenos Años Nuevos!!
FOODalogue said…
I'm further south than Purgatory!!

Love the ravioli.

Happy New Year, Cristina -- keep the beautiful coming.
This looks like a nice "bridge" between the indulgent meals of the holidays and the spartan meals (ha!) of the future...these ravioli en brodo would be a nice balance between comfort food and lighter fare. We'll have to try it!

Hope your travels to Alsace have been safe--it's been about 18 degrees F here (without wind chill) and we have lots of snow to contend with. At least we've made it back to New York!
baobabs said…
nice idea with wanton skin! but what happened to me the last time is that the skin is always too flimsy and the fillings fall out :s would love to attempt this again!
That does look like fun! And the ravioli look more decedent than they really are--love that! I'm giving myself until New Year's before I have to change my evil ways! ;)
Jean said…
Cristina, I have been feeling quite the glutton this season. I keep saying tomorrow I'll return to my healthier diet but so far, it hasn't happened. I applaud you for being more disciplined. These raviolis look deliciously simple, especially with the use of the Chinese dough.

Happy New Year!
Happy Holidays Cristina. I love your blog, and I think these are the prettiest raviolis ever!
fromBAtoParis said…
@baobabs

I think that if you brush the dough well with water, they will seal well. Try that!!!
Thanks for your comment!
Fran said…
The ravioli looks scrumptious and the cloth the plate is on is so sweet. I need to have one of those in my linen closet. :)

Wishing you a Very Happy New Year!
Beautiful, simple but so impressive a piece of kitchen trickery my friend!!! I have done this deception before and now don't want to make ravioli any other way. This is dangerous for the lazy ones, like me LOL

I hope you and your lovely family, have a truly, wonderful New Year Cristina :)
omg, irony, coincidence, i don't know. my mom and i made these this morning (diff filling) w. Chinese dough, and here you posted them today!! your's are infintely more beautiful though =)

i love using the Chinese wrappers, they're a huge time save. and the lighter dough makes the flavors of the filling stand out more.
Lori Lynn said…
Hi Cristina - those look terrific. Ooh we are looking forward to eating light, we are in Las Vegas, and there is really no light eating here (intentionally). But yes indeed, when we get home for sure!
Wishing you a very happy new year my friend!
LL
fromBAtoParis said…
@Everybody

Thank you very much and Happy New Year !!!

@Lori Lynn

Enjoy Yourself in Las Vegas!! Dream to know this place!!
Gaby said…
These ravioli look fantastic.. I love ricotta and nothing better to enjoy its full flavour as keeping it as simple as this!
Have a lovely time in Nochevieja and all the best for 2011.
Abrazos
Gaby xx
Hot Polka Dot's Mom (Judy) said…
Mouth watering raviolis. I have not been brave enough to create pasta from scratch but you are inspiring me. And the filling? Oh la la!
Stella said…
Ooh, these look so delicious, and, yes, I could use some healthy cooking right now. I was so bad during the holidays. Well, in that respect. I was pretty good overall in terms of behavior. Me thinks;-)
Oh, and I'm saving this Chinese dough recipe...
rosario, de buenos aires said…
Cristina, fantásticas tus recetas!!!
hago ravioles con la masa que compro en el bº chino con pollo salteado con
verdeo y porcini. Luego de cocinarlos van con una salsa muy liviana de oliva, verdeo, vino blanco y caldo.
También los hago de ricotta y salmón ahumado con eneldo.
Cuando encuentre alcauciles, pruebo los tuyos. un grand merci!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Rosario

Gracias por tantas sugerencias!! Yo también tengo que probar!