The Alsace, or where they know how to celebrate Christmas !



My husband and I wanted to take some days off, between Christmas and New Year, so the decided to go to the Alsace, the place for a Christmas feeling in France...Now, where is Alsace? It is in the border with Germany, and historically speaking, this area has belonged to France and Germany intermitingly...this is why, it is both French/German in spirit...you have the impression you are in Germany, but people speak French....


The most important city in this area is Strasbourg, but there are little villages like Colmar (here in the "night" photos) that seem to have come out of a story-book for children! Did you know that there is a special relationship between Colmar and New York?! Yes, Frédéric Bartholdi, the French sculptor and architect was born there...and he is the one to have created, and designed the Statue of Liberty!! 


Culinary speaking, the German influence is felt in savoury dishes made with pork, in different forms...going from the simple but tasty Flammenküchen, a sort of very thin pizza, with crème fraîche, and "lardons", to "choucroute garnie", where there is a "festival" of sausages of different kinds, plus some salty pork cuts! (When are we starting our diet??!!)

Little pigs as lucky charms!


From the point of view of decoration, I loved the different restaurant signs.....



and special arrangement for windows!



In all the region, in all cities, no matter how small, you will find a "marché de Noël" (Christmas market) selling you from handmade products, to hot spicy wine to beat the cold!!



The symbol of Strasbourg is the stork, since they make their nests on the roofs of Alsacian houses...due to the winter and its unusually low temperatures, no storks in sight, only in the stalls!!!


On the sweet side, the most typical pastry of the region is the kougelhopt or kouglof, a kind of Alsatian Panettone, sprinkled in icing sugar (see the special decorated molds for it), and the Alsatian macarons, made with coconut! (which reminded me of American macaroons!), plus a zillion other things, nougats (turron) of all flavors, and the ubiquitous bretzels! (or "pretzels"), in sweet and salty versions!


This is only a glimpse of a very rich (culinary and historically speaking) visit I wanted to share with you!! I hope you have enjoyed it!


And I say goodbye for this year, wishing to find you again in 2011, with all your comments that fill my world, and that encourage me to think.."what can I do for my blog?", to taste, to succeed, to fail, to change, to feel depressed when a recipe goes wrong...to start singing "I'm a genius" (we all need self-approval!!!)  when something I make looks spectacular and tasty..
Thank you for being there for me...I will also be there for you!!!
The best for you all !!! from the bottom of my heart, from my tiny (almost non-existant) Parisian kitchen...!

Comments

What an amazing place, it really does look like it's right out of a storybook. It must have been a magical place to spend the holidays. I just love how spirited the whole town looks.

Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year, may it bring you much joy and success.
Magical! I'd love to go to Alsace or Germany to see their Xmas markets. A beautiful experience I'm sure...

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Rosa
Miriam said…
Qué maravilla! Nosotros estuvimos en Estrasburgo el pasado agosto, nos encantó y pensamos que efectivamente tenía que ser fantástico en Navidad... feliz año!
Happy New Year ♥
Moltissimi Auguri
per uno splendido 2011
Chef Chuck said…
Your right that is a true "Christmas atmosphere!!" ~Beautiful lights~ Of course, I like the sausage selection!
Thank you, Cristina, I was indulging in your writing plus photo's, and you make me feel as if I were there!
Happy New Year ; )
Jenn said…
What a beautiful place! Wishing you a very happy New Year and all the best!
Unknown said…
My first 'real' boyfriend was from Alsace, and I've spent a few magical Christmases in Strasbourg. You're right, they really do know how to celebrate Christmas there... and the New Year too! That was 20 years ago, and I've never gone back. Your pictures really brought back the lovely memories, thank you.

Have a wonderful, peaceful and joyous New Year to you and your family, Cristina!

x Maya x
Fran said…
What a dreamy-looking place. It looks like a fairy tale that can't be real -- like a movie set or a disney "street" photo. It's so great to know scenes like this really do exist and that we can "travel" to them through blogs like yours.

Wishing you and yours all the best -- feliz año nuevo
Unknown said…
What a charming little mini break. That place just has Christmas written all over it.
Wishing you and your family a very happy New Year. Its been a good 2010, but 2011 is going to be even better :)
*kisses* HH
Roadtrek Girl said…
Thank you for sharing this and Happy New Year to you and your family.
Claudia said…
Cristina, this post was total enchantment. Thanks you for inviting me to Alsace and being such a thoughtful guide. Happy 2011to you and your family. May it bring delicious days and all good things into your life.
Cristina- what a lovely post! I am now wishing that we had had time to visit.. Prochaine Visite a France! bonnes fetes! Happy New Year!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful photos. It definitely takes me back to my Christmas is Strasburg. I enjoyed the French-German dialect there. Interesting history. Happy New Year to you!
Barbara said…
Beautiful, Cristina! I loved the hearts and teddy bears and the window box with reindeer was adorable!

I wish you and your a most Happy New Year!

Big Hug, Barbara
It's been too long since I was last in Europe but with your photos I am there again. Merci!!!

I am so happy I "discovered" your blog in 2010. I am sure 2011 will be wonderful for you and your family!
Diana Bauman said…
Cristina, these pictures at Alsace are absolutely stunning! Oh how I wish the States would celebrate Christmas as they do abroad! I'm wishing you a healthy, happy and delicious New Year!!
FOODalogue said…
Happy New Year!

Thanks for sharing these photos. It is truly a magical and picturesque place.
Que maravilla de lugar para pasar las vacaciones! Fabulosas fotos sacaste! Gracias por compartir con nosotros esta encantadora ciudad!
Feliz Navidad y Sereno y Prospero 2011!!!
Quien puede decir que no ama la Navidad viendo estas fotos? me han trasportado a los cuentos de Dickens...tienes un blog precioso!!!...un beso y feliz año nuevo
fromBAtoParis said…
@Everybody / Todos

Feliz 2011 !!! Que se cumplan todos sus deseos!!!
Gaby said…
Goodness me! I know where I want to spend next xmas!
Thank you for spoling us with these beautiful images!
xx
Stella said…
Hey Cristina! Wow, I've heard about Alsace before, but still have yet to visit. You've made it look so enchanting and wonderful, and, yes, it looks like the perfect place to go and have a really spirited Christmas. Yes!
Oh, and your photos are wonderful. Cauldron Boy loved the last one especially...
p.s. Thanks for your sweet comment. I hope you're right (smile).
Mardi Michels said…
Thank you for this sneak peek into my summer vacation! After my month in Paris, friends and I will spend one week in Bourgogne and one week in Alsace - we're finalizing house rental details this week! I wish I could be there for Christmas though - looks lovely!
@Mardi

oh, it is a great place during the summer too...full of flowers! You MUST visit Colmar..!
Mardi Michels said…
Yes, we are staying in Colmar!
Graciela from LP said…
Me cacho! Creia que te ibas a Roma y en vez te fuiste a Strasbourg, la ciudad en la que mas me gusto vivir en Francia! De haberlo sabido te encargaba unas bretzeles, me encantan.
Nunca se te ocurrio hacerlas en version argentina ???Para mi sin dulce de leche porfa...Durante estas fiestas he engordado unos kilitos...
Liren said…
Belated Merry Christmas, Cristina! What a most perfect way (and place) to celebrate the holiday! I would just love to do the same with my family - my husband will appreciate it because of his German heritage, I because I love all things French, and my children because it is the birthplace of the modern Christmas! We all win :)
tasteofbeirut said…
I enjoyed seeing your beautiful pictures; it reminded me of a family trip to Alsace years ago, in that same time of year; I remember the beautiful picturesque little houses; I would give anything for a fresh kouglof!
Anonymous said…
What a wonderful mini vac. I am sure you enjoyed it.
Anonymous said…
It looks beautiful! Would love to go there one day. Amazing and magical!
I was already thinking of visiting Strasbourg, but now that I see not just kouglof moulds . . . but in a variety of sizes and colors, I know I must head there. Awesome.