Provençal Tian , Cheese & Camargue Rice, or Back from Provence! (Part I)





Not without sadness, I'm back from Provence...I have so many things to tell you and show you !! But to honor this region of France, that has generously shared all its richness with me, I will prepare their typical dishes, with some culinary licence, of course!




So our first "star" is the tian, classic provençal dish, made with tomatoes, eggplant, onions, and zucchini...Here I added some whole rice from Camargue, and to make it more appealing to my teenagers...some cheese!



It can be prepared in an oven dish, or presented for brunch, in these individual terrine molds, that look great for the occasion!



I love going to the street markets, so I left early in the morning...direction? St Maximin 's market !!


Only in France, something far from being aesthetical, like hanging your clothes outside the window, becomes artistic in this frame of flowers!
These villages are inhabited mostly by elderly people...so market day is a great day, to meet old friends, vendors, artisans...to talk endlessly about everything! children (now grown-up!), weather, politics...the village provides these people with a sense of belonging..they have always been there, their life has been shared with their neighbours....!


This elderly lady reminded me of my mother in Argentina, who goes to the baker, and comes back one hour later...and not because the bakery is far from her home! but because she always finds someone to talk with, known or unknown..! and then she tells them about Cristina, who lives in France and has a bakery !!! I 've told her a thousand times that I don't have a bakery !!!??? but she has developed this "theory" in her mind and no-one will ever convince her of the contrary...not even me!


Everybody has all the time in the world...and they are wise! Like John Lennon said: "Life is what happens while we are busy making other plans...."
Well, but apart from the vegetables for my tian, what else did I need to buy? Yes, something to make my husband happy...something for the "apéritif"
Olives, for instance? All colors: black, green, violet....spicy or not, filled with almonds, red peppers, garlic....Greek, Mexican....with lemon, fennel....and the list goes on!




What else? "Saucisson!!" (salami-type sausage), home-made..with fresh baguette...Mmmm!!!




Saucisson for all tastes: green pepper, chestnut, low fat (???!!!), goat cheese, ginger, bull (?), wild boar, donkey, duck....and here the list goes on too!!
Legions of "saucisson"...I think many international wars would have been avoided if people had been busy eating saucisson instead of making weapons!




All this has to be presented "comme il faut" (as it should be"), in cicada platters, of course!




The cicada is an insect, omnipresent in Provence..you can't see it (it is too small and hides in trees) but you hear it !!!! During the hot season, it "sings" the whole day....but the noise of all the cicadas singing together in a well-trained choir can be deafening...believe me!! 
The cicada is not only the symbol of Provence, but the "protagonist" of the most famous fable by Jean de la Fontaine: the cicada and the ant !!! First encounter of all the French children with French poetry !! It doesn't exist a child in France who hasn't been submitted to the Herculean task of having to learn this poem by heart....!!! and he knows he will be marked for his performance, hopefully "sans faute" (without mistakes!) My three kids went through this ordeal at the age of six, of course...but the message is learnt: "you don't sing in life...you work!!"


Well, not everything is work in life, or food....mainly if you are a woman! It is not a question of going to the market looking "n'importe quoi" (anyway) I DO need one of these dresses, don't you think? Lovely, lovely !!!! So fresh, so colourful, so elegant in their simplicity !!! The black one with the buttons decoration is a MUST for me !!! 






I hope you have enjoyed this first part of my Provence tour...stay tuned!! More is coming soon!

Want  the  Provençal Tian recipe?



To make this Provençal Tian (serves 6), you will need:
 * brown or white rice (here I used Camargue), 200gr
 * small zucchinis, 4
 * small eggplants, 2
 * small tomatoes, 4
 * white onions, 3
 * Holland cheese, 200gr
 * fresh thyme, a branch
 * olive oil, salt & pepper


Brush your oven dish (or individual terrines) with olive oil. Pre-heat oven (180°C). Rinse the rice with fresh water. Put it in a saucepan with 1 litre of water. Cook uncovered in medium heat 10/15' aprox (add salt in the last 5'). When you see holes or craters forming, cover with lid, and turn off the heat. Let it rest. Accomodate the rice in the oven dish; Cover with slices of cheese. Cut all the vegetables trying to keep the same size and width. Accomodate rows of eggplant, tomato, onion, and zucchini (you can add some extra cheese there)  Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and thyme leaves. Cook for 30/45' depending on the size of the dish. 

Comments

Miriam said…
Qué maravilla, Cristina! Yo he estado dos veces en Provenza, qué sitio tan estupendo... me enamoré de Arles, tan decadente, tan africana, con ese anfiteatro tan increíble y con el espíritu de Van Gogh vagando por sus calles... ays. Y qué bien se come.
Chef Chuck said…
Welcome back Christina my friend! You must have had fun!
That market looks fabulous, yes those olives would be a magnet for me, the selection looked great. Among other things of course!
The dresses, very cool I like that pattern, brings back memories. Did you get one?
Thank you for sharing this unqiue area of France!
I will visit your bakery one day!!!
Unknown said…
omg, what a lovely LOVELY post and pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
Unknown said…
Fantastic post, love your recipe, the trip to the village and market, all fun to see in your great photos! What a wonderful trip to Provence, welcome home:)
Adelina said…
Very beautiful post! I feel like I was with you during your travels.
Ciao Chow Linda said…
Oh how I'd love to be shopping in that market and eating that delicious tian of yours.
Claudia said…
The post left me with yearning - of sun-kissed fresh produce, olives by the yard and sausages ripe for the cooking. The tian is summer at its best. All so lovely.
Anonymous said…
Just passing... I thought I'd have a peep at F.B.A.T.P. "por las dudas"... And sure enough, in spite of the holidays and the heat, Cristina complies and provides us with a taste of Provence, this very special Province full of unforgettable colours, scents & flavors... with the music of the cicadas into the bargain ! "Chapeau" ! I shall be looking forward to more exotic stuff when I return in September.
Enjoy it all and thanks for sharing.
Y.K.W.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Adelina
@ Ciao Linda

I think we should organize a bloggers' tour of France!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Claudia:

You are a real poet !!! Your comments a work of Literature....
que delicia de platillo y de vacaciones. Me encanta la Provence, y por supuesto su comida!.
What a pretty little veggie dish!

A must admit, I am so jealous of your market! Ours is pretty good, but your makes me jittery just to see the photos!
Welcombe back Cristina!! Haha - your mother sounds so very much like mine. Sometimes, two hours to buy a loaf of bread, only because she bumped into a friend along the way *sigh*

More saucisson, less war - it makes perfect sense to me ;) I wonder, did you get any of those delightful dresses? They are so vintage, like Pucci, almost. I would definitely not have left empty handed!

I almost forgot about your tian, because of all the lovely Provencal distractions! Beautiful in its simplicity - I love that you served it in those little terrine moulds!
Gourmantic said…
Top points for the presentation of this dish!

Those saucissons look amazing, and what a choice! I could get lost for hours in those markets, and spend big on food and non food items!
Sweet Artichoke said…
These mini-tians are so cute!
I love your idea of serving them individually in these adorable terrines!
Barbara said…
I love that you made your tians in those terrine molds! It's such a delicious dish, Cristine. And perfect for summer.

And I adore your photos! The markets in France just can't be beat! Those olives! Wow.
Jason Phelps said…
Much thanks for a peak at a different place.

Jason
Stella said…
My Cristina! I don't even know where to start with this post-it's so wonderful. That first photo of Provence looks like a winding stone street in Salamanca. I knew France must be beautiful too-just like Spain!
Oh, and that's so cute that your Mom thinks you have a bakery. A very sweet, romantic thought that is. I say your blog is kind of your bakery (smile). Oh, and speaking of baked stuff, this eggplant tian looks delicious. I'm with the teenagers on the extra cheese thing!
Jean said…
I enjoyed reading this post--beautiful pictures. It's making me excited for my visit in September.

Your tian looks lovely in individual servings. Looking forward to your follow up posts.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Denise: Yes, the first dress, so Pucci like, is unbeatable !!

@Sweet Artichoke: Welcome to my blog

@Jean: Enjoy your visit in September!! Where are you going? I follow your great blog too!!

@Stella: Thank you Stellita...I'll write soon!

@ Chef Chuck: Thank you!!My "bakery" and your pasta place would be an unbeatable duo, don't you think?
Kathleen said…
Cristina, What a beautiful site!! Thanks for posting this classic. I can't wait to make.
Kathleen
Lori Lynn said…
That dish is a real winner! Congrats on Top 9 Cristina!

Your photos break my heart...too beautiful.
LL
Thank you for sharing your beautiful photographs of the village and market in Provence! Your tian is gorgeous in its simplicity and I look forward to your future posts.
sabes q substitucion se le puede hacer a esta receta con respecto al queso holandes? alguna otra sugerencia en vez de ese queso? Fotos chulisimas por cierto, q maravilla Europa, q nostalgia....
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Priscilla: Thanks and welcome to my blog!

@Miryam: El queso? El que a vos te guste !!!
Bienvenida a mi blog y muchisimas gracias!!
Magic of Spice said…
I love your version of this dish...excellent! And these photos are gorgeous, thank you for taking us along :)