Caramel Flan, with Cream and Cherries, or when it gets too hot in Paris



Et oui !!! C'est la canicule !!! (the heat wave) here in France....I know it is probably hotter in lots of places in the world...but Paris, in particular, is not prepared for the heat....have you seen few places have air-conditioning? And nothing like that or ceiling fans in the Hausmannian apartments, so when it gets hot, you feel it !!!!
And if you are a foodblogger and you try to photograph your flan with whipped cream at 3pm? What is worse, I noticed that something was going wrong with my espuma siphon...the gas was leaking...result? The "Chantilly" was merely a foamy thing...did I have the time to make another Chantilly? No way!!! since I had three "birds of pray" around me (read: my children) plate on one hand, spoon on the other, saying in unison: "Come on, mum! No more pictures...." So, blogging "live" from super-hot Paris, with melted Chantilly cream, Cristina and her caramel flan......


The Caramel Flan is something I inherited from my grandparents.....did I ever tell you? My four grandparents were Spanish, so I grew up with this dessert. In my opinion, few things in this world rival the simple effectiveness of this flan: it is easy to make (you don't need Pierre Hermé here...) but then few things soothe your palate with its unctuosity as this flan.... I love how consistent it is (you see it didn't melt in spite of the temperature!), its  velvety appearance, how the cherries reflect on this caramel...! I love seeing my children (and husband!) licking their spoons....and my daughter M. carefully measuring the area of the portions in cm2....Is there a better reward for a cook?


Even if I had my recipe, I checked in the internet to see how people in some other countries made the flan: I noticed that there is a Mexican tradition where they use condensed milk plus powdered milk...some others use cream...., the French "flan pâtissière" is a distant cousin, since it is more like a pie, with its pâte brisée and the egg batter has cornstarch...Well, here I use just milk, unskimmed milk and a Madagascar (Bourbon) vanilla pod...well yes, quantity of eggs is incredible...but we don't eat this every day, do we? and what is more, we eat just a portion....or two? 


My personal touch was to add some cherries...but my son, "très argentin", decided to eat it the Argentinian way....that is with a generous spoonful of Chantilly cream, and an even more generous (almost decadent) scoopful of dulce de leche!
Enjoy!!!

Want the recipe?

To make this Caramel Flan, you will need:
 * unskimmed milk, 1 litre
 * Madagascar vanilla pod, 1, cut lenghtwise and grated
 * eggs, 6 + yolks, 2
 * sugar, 300gr
 * some cherries, for decoration.
 * whipped cream (home-made please! not the supermarket one!!)
 * one flan mold (I could not find one here in Paris, so I used the Savarin one, but the true Spanish flan mold, rippled, will make your flan look much nicer!)


Pre-heat your oven 160°C. In a saucepan, take the milk and the vanilla beans and pod to a boil. Turn off the heat. Let it infuse 30' minimum. Whisk the eggs, yolks and 200gr sugar till the mixture whitens. Fold in the milk (without the vanilla pod). Combine well.
Put the rest of the sugar (100gr) in the flan mold with 2 tablespoons of water, and this directly on the fire, medium heat, till a nice caramel is formed. Pour the egg/milk batter in the flan mold. Bake in a "bain Marie" 35/40' till the batter is set. Let it cool. Cover with a film wrap. Refrigerate at least 12 hours.
The problem with this type of flan is unmolding it....unless you know this trick...the longer  caramel stays in the fridge, the softer it becomes (this is why a croquembouche is never kept in the fridge), so respect the refrigeration time!!! It is better to make it the day before. Nevertheless, if you still have trouble unmolding it, just sink your mold in hot water for a few seconds, and the caramel will melt!








Comments

The Housewife said…
Lovely pictures and its always nice when your family loves what you make! :) Thanks for the information on how different cultures interpret the flan!
Chef Chuck said…
I love the reflections in the photo's!
I would enjoy trying this dish, even on a hot summer day in PARIS!! Your addition of cherry's brings such color, just as your writing, very colorful!
Thank you, Cristina!!
Miriam said…
Es cierto, el flan es muuuy tradicionalmente español. Creo que en mi país no hay nadie que no lo haya probado. Pues aquí también sufrimos una ola de calor, pero verdaderamente estamos algo más preparados que en París (bueno, algo más). Y qué difícil es bloguear así! ;)
Frank said…
You know, I'm not big on sweets but I make an exception for flan (and creme brulee). This one looks exceptionally nice! Love the idea of pairing it with whipped cream and cherries--I'm sure it was delicious!
Unknown said…
It's cooler here, I'm going to try your recipe, I love it!
Stella said…
Hey Cristina, it's okay that the espuma lost its gas-it looks lovely! In fact, I feel that intense feeling of 'crave' right now after seeing how creamy this looks with those beautiful cherries. I love them and they make everything so pretty.
I'm going to try this recipe-putting it on my list of 'things to make'. I am normally a bit intimidated by your food, but I think I can handle your family's flan recipe! I've made a successful flan before (smile).
Un Beso Grande, Stella
Magdalena said…
Hello Cristina...first of all thanks for your reservations concerning French meat - I do agree with them.
My husband, who is in Paris now, suffers from the heat since a few days...and, of course, you are right that the city is not prepared for such weather...but I believe that "canicules" are a torture in every city around the World...even here, in Poland, the temperature was much over 30 degrees today, so forget about cooking soups, baking meats and cakes.
Congrats for your flan - despite the temperature it looks absolutely fantastic.
Magic of Spice said…
What a stunning flan! Great photos:)
Flan is one of those desserts that is just so delicious! I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and it is hot today here too. Great job on the flan.
The Duo Dishes said…
Your photography is awesome and so is the flan. Out of all the custard desserts, flan is in the list of some of the good ones. Pairing it with cherries is a nice idea.
bunkycooks said…
Your photos are beautiful again! This flan looks very different from what I have made in the past (which is from a Mexican/Spanish recipe). I think I would prefer this version, especially with the cherries and whipped cream!
Lynn said…
Beautiful! And it looks pretty tasty!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody:

Thanks for the nice comments...So glad you loved something so simple, yet so good...
Enjoy it !!
This looks delicious. You handled the heat well. When the heat came upon us all of a sudden a few days ago, I found myself in the kitchen making dinner sweating - not good in the least. Needless to say, I got my A/C up and running the next day. I hope your weekend is going well. Thanks for stopping by!
Barbara said…
Flans are absolutely one of my favorite desserts and your son and I are on the same wave length with dulce de leche. On anything. :)

This is such a lovely flan, Cristina! I know food behaves oddly when it's hot and humidity is high. It affects so many things here in Florida. But at least we are prepared for the heat!

Hope you're staying cool!
fara dean said…
Ermm..lovely and yummy!
dokuzuncubulut said…
Very savory. Super!
Thank for the beautiful recipe...
Looks amazing, can't wait to try your recipe. We love flan and it has a special meaning with my hubby and myself , so may just surprise him.
fromBAtoParis said…
Thanks Foodbuzz and dear Foodies!!

This Caramel Flan has been Top 1 today !!!!
Yasmeen said…
Flan looks divine,love the cherries :D
Jun Belen said…
Lovely post and lovely blog you have. I recently made flan myself and it was so delicious! Thanks for the post.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Jun Belen
@ Yasmeen
@ The Duo Dishes
@ Fara Dean
@ Dokuzuncubulut

Welcome to my blog and thanks for your kind comments !!!
Peggy said…
this sounds so delicious! the pictures are breath-taking and i'm sure your family thought it was well worth the wait!
As always, gorgeous photos! This looks like a perfect way to cool yourself on a sultry summer evening!
Lori Lynn said…
Hi Cristina - oh how lovely!
The cherry reflection in the caramel is very cool.Photos are terrific as always.
LL
P.S. Please stop by if you get a minute, I recreated a French bistro table in my living room.
sensiblecooking said…
congrats on making it to top9. This recipe is really a winner. It looks so delicious. I don't know if i can wait 12 hrs for it to set but I will try to make it.
Liren said…
Cristina, this is breathtaking! I love, love, love flan and your recipe is very similar to the one in my family. But the Chantilly cream just brings it to another level of decadence! Beautiful.
Shirley said…
Your children are funny! And your flan looks divine. Wish I could dig in.
Jason Phelps said…
For some reason I thought flan would be hard to make. This recipe seems pretty straightforward. What should I expect if were to attempt this?

Jason
What a heavenly looking dessert!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ sensible cooking
@ Shirly
@ Kathy Diaz

Welcome to my blog and thanks for your kind participation!!
Unknown said…
I know what you mean, here In England we just aren't equipped for the few really hot days that we get. Very few places have air conditioning, so we just have to suffer LOL
Your caramel flan looks absolutely awesome. I think I'd forget about the heat if I was eating this.
Stay cool daaaaahling.
*kisses* HH
Hi Cristina :)

Sorry I have not been around. I have been in hiding LOL Seriously though, I have been involved in more things than usual so....

This is so beautifully photographed - I love the reflections of the cherries. so beautiful! I would definitely go mad for this. As if the rich and creamy flan is not enough, you put my beloved cherries on top?!?! You are genius!
Mary Bergfeld said…
What a gorgeous and delightful confection. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did. Your recipes are wonderful and the tone of your blog is very inviting. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Denise:

Thanks Denise !! I'm glad we are finally conenecting!

@ Mary:

Thanks a lot for your kind words, that really moved me, and welcome to my blog !!!
Sherry said…
My husband is my bird of prey--forever pacing behind me with fork in hand. I have resorted to forbidding him to enter the kitchen before the meal is plated and on the table. As always your photos are lovely. Sending cool thoughts to Paris.

Sherry
fragolina said…
Very beautiful blog. The pictures are amazing...