Portrait of a Lady...Chef ! Hélène Darroze.



Yes, this is still a food blog...I will not lecture about Henry James...it just happens that thanks to support of my faithful readers and judges, here I am in Challenge 9 of Project Foodblog, organized by Foodbuzz, and our challenge this time is to write about a restaurant experience... And many people who knew about my project asked me: "Why Hélène Darroze"? It is true that in the Parisian culinary scene, there are so many chefs, étoilés or not, to choose from...so why Hélène?



There is excellence in her cuisine, that is undeniable! but maybe I chose her because behind or inside the two-starred Michelin chef (and mind you!! there are only two women in France to hold this distinction, and she is the only one in Paris!)  there is a woman, like you and me, that far from believing she is a kind of "cooking diva", she is engaged with the problems of our times...she does not live in the "golden cloud" of fame and popularity..She is (and this said with all my respect) just a simple girl, who probably shares with us, our dreams, and frustrations...she is courageous, daring...and yet she seems to be calm, "approachable"...she lacks this arrogance, many times typical of stellar chefs...
I will write about a restaurant and the chef behind it, as a kind of essay, trying to show, up to what extent, the signature dish that comes to us is the result of a chef's  personal history, his past, the place where he was born, his personality, his present, his problems....A complete amalgam, no place here for dichotomy...we cook what we are!!!
Here, the "he" is a "she" ...et oui!! she was the source for inspiration, for Disney Studio's "Colette" in Ratatouille.....Portrait of a Lady of our Times: Madame Hélène Darroze!! 

Photo kindly given to me by Mme Darroze's Press Agent, for publication in this post

And nothing better than to quote her own words...to get to know what crosses her mind and her heart!!
"I left the Landes, where I was born, breaking with a family tradition, to open my restaurant in Paris...My only baggage? The culture and the values I grew up with.."

There she is...born in the Landes, south-west of France..., fourth generation of cooks..."easy!" you might think.."cooking was in her blood and genes". Yes, you have a point there..but Hélène was born in the sixties..."rebellion" was in her blood probably more than "foie-gras", so after dreaming of being a doctor or an architect, she decides to study business administration, and determined lady that she is, she gets her diploma...First job, she goes to Monaco, to work at the Louis XV, one of Alain Ducasse's restaurants...but far from the kitchens, of course, a desk, papers, she even organizes the grand chef schedule, trips....but she withers at her desk...as time passes by, she finds this work unappealing, monotonous...She confesses that to M. Ducasse, who before actually starting, had made her do some months of training in the kitchen...Yes, four months of taking notes, and cleaning lettuce...but contrary to what you might think, Hélène found this experience " a turning point" in her career..!
After some time, Hélène decides to come back to her home land, to her father's Relais & Château restaurant, and to start from scratch there..She even envisaged to go to culinary school in the USA, but finally she stays in France! A fast learner, she dreams of a new way of cooking that "cuisine tradition" that her father had got a reputation for... She is terribly proud of the products of her native land: the foie-gras, cooking with duck fat, the "fleur de sel" and the "piment d'Espelette"...but she evolves into something new...using what her farmer friends proudly produce to take it far and beyond...to a new level...Result? Generation gap, conflict between father and daughter...I can imagine the young, inexperienced, audacious Hélène telling her one-starred Michelin dad, that his cooking is great but it has to be changed....
But fathers will always be fathers...M. Darroze decides to retire and leave her daughter at the helm of the family restaurant...Soon, she is awarded the prizes "Best young Chef of the Year", "Chef of the Year for the Southwest Region"and "Tomorrow's Great Chef" But not everything comes so easy!! Financial problems...The restaurant is sold, and Hélène bets high...she comes to Paris, leaving behind a tradition, a family name, to open her restaurant in rue d'Assas, in the posh St Germain des Près neighborhood.

Photo kindly given to me by Mme Darroze's Press Agent, for publication in this post


"I have been kneaded with the land and my ancestors' traditions..Then, meeting new people, friends, trips have made me what I am.."

Where do we find her land? Well, in the ham, that proudly presides her Salon (place in her restaurant for an informal, and cozy lunch/dinner experience) But it is not any ham...it's the ham from the pigs of Monsieur Oteiza...and  sea-food? Well, that comes from St Jean de Luz, from Dima...and the piment d'Espelette? You can buy that chez Isabelle, in Biarritz...In her book, "Personne ne me volera ce que j'ai dancé", she gives you the name, address, even the telephone number! of each of her suppliers...and this makes her cuisine more accessible, more real...
In her Salon, you can taste "her menu Tapas" for only 28 euros!! (€ 35 with a glass of wine) Don't be confused as I was the first time: her tapas are not exactly linked to what we eat in Spain...rather, each of her tapas is almost a signature dish...in miniature! But probably, remembering the days of her youth, when she used to go to Pamplona, Spain, to party,  influenced her choosing this informal way of cooking, with the Spanish philosophy behind it: one little bit of this, another little bite of that...friendly atmosphere, "décontracté" (casual)..As you see, the Salon d'Hélène is a place to indulge after Parisian shopping...It is refined yet unpretentious! Only a few tables...this gives you a quiet,  almost private "boudoir" atmosphere...also, seeing the cooks doing their job is great! Of course, you can eat in her "Salle à Manger", but there food and prices are different. 

Photo kindly given to me by Mme Darroze's Press Agent, for publication in this post









I visited Mme Darroze's restaurant for the first time in 2008...at that time, the menu Tapas was presented in porcelaine dishes...Why this change? Why this plastic, canteen-like tray? I asked the Head Waiter, Monsieur Nacer ( the most charming AND efficient person I have seen serving in a restaurant) about it...He told me it was a move to "democratize" fine dining! Yes, "the experience of a étoilé restaurant becomes here as inexpensive as having a hamburger or pasta in a normal place"....but new flavors and textures will dazzle you, leaving an impact on your memory!
I wondered if many Michelin starred chefs around the world did something like this...Some étoilé restaurants seem to be there only to be appreciated by  "a  privileged few". Is the fact that Madame Darroze is French (you know..."liberté, egalité, fraternité") the inherent drive to this "fine dining for all" experience....


This is what I had last Tuesday! (and mind you! the Tapas menu changes almost weekly!)

 1. Velouté de Crustacés (Seafood velouté): My opinion? Powerful to the senses, refined...You look at it and you think "just another velouté..." You will change your mind after the first sip...
 2. Tempura de homard et Crème Aigrelette (Lobster Tempura with a delicious "à l'ancienne" mustard)
 3. Saint Jacques poêlé, gnocchi de pommes de terre, et emulsion à la noisette du Piemont (sauté scallops with potato gnocchi and Piemont hazelnuts emulsion )
 4. Royale de potiron et châtaigne (pumpkin purée with cream and egg, sprinkled with crumbs of chestnuts) Frankly, "royale" in texture...!

My photos, with flash! Food was much better than this!


 5. Parmentier de Boeuf et Espuma de Pommes de Terre (Beef Pie with Potato Espuma) To think I was proud of my own beef pie....!!! Here they don't use minced meat...Meat is braised until it becomes threads, full of spices ! and the purée is so light....
 6. Foie Gras Confit au Epices douce et Chutney de Noël (Foie Gras from her homeland, sweet-spiced and a chutney made with figs, apricots and walnuts) 
 7. Mousse de citron vert, feuillantine chocolat, coriandre, et glace vanille Bourbon. ( An incredibly aromatic lime mousse, on the fine layer of chocolate parfumed with coriander, and Bourbon vanille icrecream) 


"A meal without chocolate is incomplete...It lacks something..."


Optional:- a Cheese Selection, from the Southwest of France: * Trappe d'Echourgnac (cheese made by women-priests, the crust is rubbed with Périgord walnuts) * Chèvre frais de Touraine (fresh goatcheese) * Tome au Jurançon (crust "washed" with Jurançon wine) with a Piment d'Espelette gélee * Cabrie Ariégeois (soft goat cheese, quite powerful in aroma) I really enjoyed this selection, "off the beaten path", and you know me...so the Espelette gélée...mouthwatering!
-Coffee and chocolate Financiers.


This "Menu Tapas" amuses me so much...I find it even playful...Every time I go there (confession? I go there quite often..) is like those daring games we played like children? As if I said: "Ok, Hélène...let's see if you can impress me this time"..and she always does!


But Hélène does not nourish her cooking only with French products..We feel also the influence of Asiatic cultures.....there is "tobiko", wasabi, foie gras "dim sum"...lemongrass, ginger...


"My cooking follows my heart, my emotions...and it is in constant change..Change is necessary to keep only what's essential" 


The link between Hélène and Asia has been sealed for life...Hanoi has seen her arrive one day, to adopt her first daughter, and once again, to adopt a "little sister" for the first one...
What happened first? Did her love for Asiatic flavors lead to her decision of adopting in Vietman? ...or having a Vietnamese daughter arose her interest in oriental spices and cooking? Who knows...?
How does a celebrity chef manage two restaurants (the one is Paris, and the more recent one, at the Connaught Hotel in London) being the single mother of two daughters? One imagines Hélène, after late nights, getting up early to take the girls to the kindergarten...dealing with suppliers....oh, rush to the stationer's!! My daughter told me to get her "crayons" (pencils)...what? the sous-chef is sick? ...parents' meeting at 6pm!! Yes, decidedly, a woman of our times!!


"Even the smallest detail in my dish evokes a "souvenir"(memory)...a feeling I once had...!











"My cooking reflects my personality and what I value most: independence and freedom"


Her commitment with her beliefs and social issues led her to accept participating in a campaign for awareness in breast cancer early detection...and France has seen Hélène ,  together with some other stars of French cinema or television showing their naked breasts..And do you know what I thought? I said to myself "this woman has guts!!" It is much easier to appear like that when you have the body of Claudia Schiffer, or you have had surgery...but to be a normal woman in her forties...with a normal body...Brava, Hélène!! 


Why do we, clients, prefer one restaurant over another? If you ask me...I want to "see" the personality of the chef in my dish...Also, I hate restaurants where the chef is "the show"..This is why I love Mme Darroze's cuisine...because the stars are the ingredients, one way of cooking, faithfulness and pride for her home-land, emotions, beliefs...she chooses the low profile for her image...you see her walking in Paris, making the line at the bakery on Sunday mornings, to buy her croissants!


"What do I have in common with Colette (Ratatouille)? Discipline, setting the bar high for myself...yet, staying open to others.."


When one has a passion for cooking, like you, like me...one tends to consider these starred Michelin chefs as "demi-gods", unreachable, too perfect to have things in common with us..Thanks to research, and interviews on French television , I discovered this lady chef, that is also a mother, and a daughter, a lady that adores designer clothes, that has done great things but maybe also mistakes..that has problems or dreams unfulfilled...and there, when she steps down from the pinnacle where WE have put her, she becomes more human, and by this, an example for us..of a dream that can become true...Thank you, Hélène ! You've become a source of inspiration!!




I have noticed that many restaurant reviews nowadays come with a recipe by the chef...We all want to reproduce at home a "masterpiece" by a famous cook!! So, I looked for a recipe in Hélène's book, suitable for the Holiday season....This ice-cream is part of a more complicated recipe...but I think, for us is more than enough ;D


 Marrons Glacés / Whisky Ice-cream, with Chocolate Sauce ! 












I hope you have enjoyed reading this post, that was meant to show you not only what to expect in a restaurant (culinary speaking) but also "the human being behind a signature dish"....If you consider that this real-life story was worthwhile...if it set you thinking, or just gave you pleasure!, please vote for me...as from Monday 6th!
A million thanks!!

For the recipe, see below...





 For the Marrons Glacés / Whisky Icecream, you will need:
 * marrons glacés, 200gr * whisky, 100ml * milk, 500ml * whole cream, 500ml * sugar, 180gr 

For the Chocolate Sauce
 * water, 100ml * brown sugar (cassonade), 40gr * cocoa powder, 26gr *butter, 10gr



Put in a saucepan, the milk, the cream and the sugar, and take it to a boil. Let cool and add the whisky. Put it in the icecream machine, and churn  for 20'. Cut the marrons into not so small pieces. Combine the icecream with the marrons. 
For the chocolate sauce, put in a saucepan, the water, sugar, and the cocoa powder. Take it to a boil, whisking vigorously. Add the butter. Let reduce for some minutes. 







Comments

I went away to get married and honeymoon for a month and I come back to discover you're one of the finalists!!!

Que alegria!!!!! I'm so thrilled for you!!!!!

I know you sometimes doubt your English and are surprised by the reception your posts receive but you deserve all the accolades. Your blog is wonderful.

Thank-you for sharing the story of Chef Helene Darroze. I found it at once inspiring and mouth watering!

Toronto Girl West
fromBAtoParis said…
@Toronto Girl West

Thanks for your comment, and I wish for you MANY years of happiness, in this new path you have just started!! The best for you!!
A beautiful post! Like you I am not a big fan of arrogant chefs...

Congrats! It is so great that you are one of the finalists.

Cheers,

Rosa
Unknown said…
Daahling I am so hoping you are going to win this thing!!!
Loved reading about Chef Helene Darroze, her food looks so beautiful. It is a shame that I didn't eat at her restaurant when I was at the Connaught (I only had the afterternoon tea).
*kisses* HH
Mardi Michels said…
Outstanding. I wish you luck in this round.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Rosa
@Heavenly Housewife
@Mardi

Thanks a lot for your words, girls!!
Unknown said…
Congratulations on such a well written enjoyable post about of one of the best chefs in France:) ps. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe:)
fromBAtoParis said…
@Pacheco Patty

Thanks to a faithful supporter!!!
Gaby said…
Cristina, this article is very interesting. I know of Helene D, she appeared as a guest in the mastercheff series and, probably as everyone else, thought she was really up there like a godess in a pedestal.
Thank you for your message in my blog, It is truly cold here! I would love if you can tell us about the bûche de Noël it will be greatly appreciated!
Savoring Italy said…
Love this post! Gorgeous restaurant and really like the recipe:)
Congratulations on being a finalist. I have been voting all along for you:) besos!
Lora
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Gaby:

Hélène was in Masterchef? I should haven seen that!!
Thank you, Gaby!!

@Cake Duchess

Thanks for the sustained support!!
Graciela P. said…
Cristina, felicitaciones de todo corazon!!!!! La cronica es buenisima, con humor, humanidad, caracter, reconocimiento para la "normalidad" de una chef "micheliniada". Lo tiene todo y por sobre las mencionadas condiciones, esta bien escrita (imagino lo q habras desechado), pero te insisto Fe, Fe y Fe, vas a estar en la final! Con seguridad...Odoooooollllllllllllll. Aqui hay una compatriota q te pone todas las fichas.
Muy buena idea la de ser critica, es algo q tiene futuro, x q en realidad a todos los q andamos buscando cosas ricas nos encanta q nos den datos, q nos aconsejen e incluso leer sobre restaurantes de otros paises, pensando q alguna vez iremos. El mundo se ha vuelto un lugar pequeño. Yo seguire tus cronicas en tu blog y quien te dice q tu vida y tu blog no terminen en una pelicula como "Julie&Julia". A proposito quien te gustaria q hiciera tu papel en la pelicula? Besitos y hasta pronto
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Graciela P.

Muchisimas gracias !!! ojala, todo termine tan bien como Julie & Julia !!!
Chef Chuck said…
Chef Helene, you can feel the passion!! Thank you for sharing :)
Torviewtoronto said…
lovely post Cristina
lovely pictures voting for you soon :)
Nancy said…
What a remarkable and talented woman. She is an inspiration such a humble person. Cristina this is a great post! I wish you best of luck and continued success in the challenge. I'll be keeping an eye to see when voting begins.
Too often we equate the restaurant experience with the ambiance of the restaurant, the level of service and the quality of our meal. Thank you for taking us behind the scenes to show us the inspiration for the food by profiling the chef.

Helene Darroze is indeed an amazingly talented and famous chef. I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about her, her philosophies and source of her inspiration.

One comment in particular gave me pause to reflect, "Why do we, clients, prefer one restaurant over another? If you ask me...I want to "see" the personality of the chef in my dish.."

Excellent review. Bravo Cristina!

Judy
Aldy said…
BRAVO!!! Absolutely Inspiring! I really enjoyed reading your post.Beautiful work :)

Congrats!on being a finalist!!!

La verdad disfrute cada frase que escribiste. Y el helado Mmmm que rico! Ahora mismo me voy a votar! Y que sigan los exitos!


Abrazotes,

Aldy.
What a great, thorough, thoughtful post. I was otherwise unaware of Chef Helene Darroze and you did such a nice profile of her and her food--I love that she does a "tapas" tasting menu at a pretty reasonable price for a fine dining experience in Paris--that I wish I could book a flight there tomorrow and eat it myself!

You've done so well in the competition, and I wish that I had the confidence to write/speak Spanish as well as you do with English.
Aldy said…
Ah! Tengo que votar mañana... es que como aqui estoy un dia adelantada :)aqui ya es 6. Con razon fui a la pagina de votacion y todavia no aparecia el challenge nuevo...:) :)


Abrazos,


Aldy.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Al Dente Gourmet

Thank You Aldy !! Escribes con tanto cariño..Ya te siento como si fueses mi hermanita menor!!

@Manhattan Food Project

Thanks for your words! and that was the idea..to let people know that not everything "Michelin" has to be so expensive!

Hot Polka Dot's Mom

I have to thank YOU for such a thorough comment!!!
Really appreciated!

@Spicie Foodie

Thank you Nancy..You keep on dazzling me with your energy and projects!!

@Chef Chuck
@Torview Toronto

Thanks a lot!!
Great post. I love that you really introduced us to this chef. These are the kinds of things I love about blogs and the internet, we get to learn about inspiring people in our hobbies/interests/work who don't aspire to greatness just for the sake of fame and fortune. I thought this was a wonderful review. You're very lucky to be in proximity to that inspiration as often as you would like. I suppose we all are to some degree it's just a matter of recognizing it and you do!! Cheers, good luck. I hope you make it to the final three and I will be voting for you!!
fromBAtoParis said…
@veggietestkitchen

Thank you SO much for your words, because I think that has been my only aim ever since I started blogging:
To inspire, to give tools, ideas ...to be used by each of you, in your own personal creative way !!!
Cherine said…
Yesterday I checked the foodbuzz site just to see if you're one of the finalists!! And here you are!! So happy! :
I love chef Helene Darroze and I loved reading your post!
Good luck :)
fromBAtoParis said…
@Cherine
Thank you so much for your "parisian" support !!!
Anonymous said…
Nada màs que "arriba Cristina" !
You're almost there and really deserve to get to the very top.
Quel chemin tu as parcouru depuis que je te connais ! AMAZING !
Todo lo que te està pasando, TE LO MERECES et avec quel panache !

Y.K.W.
fromBAtoParis said…
@YKW

Thanks SO much for your words!! They are particularly valuable to me, because you got to know, that Cistina that cooked nothing but "empanadas"...It's been a long way, it is true...but I was not alone! You were at my side!! Merci beaucoup !!!
Miriam said…
Fíjate que no conocía yo a esta mujer, pero sabiendo que es la inspiración del personaje de Ratatouille, una película que amo! No sabes cuanto me alegro de que pasaras el reto anterior, te felicito! Y las fotos del helado de marron glacés son maravillosas... sigo votando.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Miriam:

Muchisimas gracias por tu apoyo!! Si, para mi, Ratatouille es una de las peliculas donde el tema del ambiente culinario se trata mas en serio!! increible, no?
Se supone que es para chicos!!
Claudia said…
Lovely, Cristina. You portrayed a chef with a heart and soul who works magic with food. Beautifully thought out and it does entice me to want to visit her restaurant (especially because I can actually afford it!). Best of luck.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Claudia

Thank you Claudia!! I think that was the idea: an experience to be enjoyed by everyone!!
Amelia PS said…
Cristina: esto es un artículo maravilloso, muy bien pensado. Escribes muy bien en inglés, mi amiga! Te mando mucha mucha de suerte: te la mereces. Fue así agradable encontrarte via pfb y espero nos permanecemos amigas or much tiempo!!! Thinking of you :)
I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!

This is such a wonderful post on Helene Darroze. I'm not familiar with her, but after reading this, her restaurant will surely go on my restaurant wish list!
Roadtrek Girl said…
Cristina, Every time I read one of your entries I feel like a proud sister. You have a way of making us feel that way. I can't begin to tell you how happy it makes me that you are this far in the finals-you've had my vote from the beginning. And this post, another of beautiful photos,and a lovely tribute to a Chef.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Amelia:

Si, fue una verdadera suerte el conocerte para mi también...Tienes una gran calidez, ademas de talento!!
Ojala sigamos en contacto,
Un beso grande!

@Seattle Pastry Girl:

You know what? I almost cry reading your comment!! I don't have a sister in real life! I would surely like to have someone like you!
I can't you how happy I am for you that you've made it to the 9th round! I've been voting for you everytime! I'm so impressed with your review and I love how different yours is from other reviews. And of course, gorgeous photos. I enjoyed learing about Helene Darroze. I just voted for you! :) Best of luck.
Sippity Sup said…
So eloquent both your prose style and the beautiful food of Chef Darroze. I have enjoyed this contest. It is the strong talent of contestants like you that make this game fun. GREG
fromBAtoParis said…
@Lindsey

Yes, I know! You've been so faithful to me!! I will never forget this!!

@Sippity Sup

You've said it !! it is the quality of the contestants that makes the "battle" worth "fighting for!! Thank you Greg!!
I voted for you! Good luck.

A wonderful retrospective.

Cheers,

Rosa
Anonymous said…
Everything you do, you do with grace and elegance.
GRACIELITA said…
Cristina, sos genial!

Acabo de votar por tu artículo que me pareció espléndido, como de costumbre.

Bellisimas fotos, texto inteligente, tenés realmente talento para la crítica gastronómica.

Si BIB Michelin leyera tu artículo, estoy segura de que te otorgaría "deux étoiles" a vos también!!

Un abrazo y suerte!

Graciela B
you are so talented... i really love your blog and your photos are always gorgeous:) have a nice day
bunkycooks said…
I would love have a meal prepared by this chef. Her food looks astonishingly beautiful. I will most definitely have to try the recipe for the ice cream...so decadent. As always, I wish you great success moving to the next and final round! Every round for you has been amazing.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody:

Thank you SO much for so much support!!
Azita Mehran said…
Congratulations on your advancement!
Great post! I just voted for you! Best wishes!
Azita
What a wonderful post! Enjoyed the entire review. Great photos and you certainly captured the essence of this wonderful place. Best of luck in this round - you have my vote!!
eataduckimust said…
wow you really went all out to put this post together. i love the video of her and all the passion she so obviously exudes. everytime i come to your blog, i feel the need to drop everything and just fly to paris. *sigh*

but really, a great review and a great chef's profile!
fromBAtoParis said…
@azita
@the suburban gourmet
@eatduckimust

Thanks a lot for your comments and support!!
Julieta said…
No conocia esta chef, pero ahora el dia que vaya a Paris, voy a comer ahi!
Muy bien escrito, profe!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Julieta

Gracias Julietita !!!
Stella said…
Voted! I've still got my fingers crossed for you, Cristina. I hope you more than get through this next week-enjoy it. Your the best of the best no matter what happens.
Todavia tengo que admitir algo-espero que ganes, mi amiga!!!
XO
fromBAtoParis said…
@Stella

Thank you, Stellita !!! You're very sweet!!
Trish said…
Just voted for you. Gosh your pictures are so lovely. Wish you the best of luck!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Trish

Thanks for your vote & support !!!
I just voted for you! Beautiful criminal record :)

A GANAAAARRRRR!

Abrazotes,

Aldy.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Al Dente Gourmet,

Gracias Aldi !!!!!
Laurie said…
Wonderful article and best of luck x
Jazz Rules said…
Wonderful! You get one of my 3 votes! You could check out one of my google ads in return! lol. Good Luck!
FOODalogue said…
Great introduction to the Chef and congratulations on your accomplishments thus far.
Anonymous said…
What an inspiring post! I'm on my way to Paris next week for a 2 week stay to blog about being gluten-free there! It's probably too late, but we'll try and get there for lunch! Congratulations on advancing= you have my vote!!
Unknown said…
This post is no less enthralling as your previous other entries for PFB! I'm so glad you have featured Mme Darroze as well as her cuisine and restaurant, she's a truly inspiring chef and I was immediately drawn to her amazing story and journey. Thank you so much for your insightful writing, beautiful as always, Cristina! You deserve to be a finalist.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Laurie
@Jazz Rules
@Foodalogue
@Foodiva

Thanks for so much support!


@Jennifer Adventurous Kitchen
Bon voyage !!! You can always make a reservation at HD, even for the same day !!
Lana said…
Cristina, I cannot believe how much effort you put into this review! It is such a comprehensive post. You approached it from so many different angles to give us a clear idea about the chef and her vision.
I loved your photographs, as usual, and I enjoyed the food vicariously through you.
Good luck and congratulations!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Lana

Thank you so much!! Yes, I really gace a llong thought to this review...Glad you appreciated it !!!
Barbara said…
Don't apologize! You are fabulous. I voted for you and will CRY if you don't make the cut. You are the best! Elegant food and photos and always delicious recipes.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Barbara

Thank you, Barbara!! I hope the judges read your comment ;D
What a great portrait you did on Hélène Darroze! I have been wanting to go to her restaurant for ages, but now that's it, I'm going. I'll be in Paris next week, so I'll try and get a reservation!

I also love your latest post in which you gathered all of the beautiful pictures you took for each of the challenges. A great reminder of how talented you are! I really wish you will be one of the 3 finalists, not only because you deserve it, but also because you bring a very welcome diversity into the contest.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Marie

Thnaks for your words!!! I hope the judges consider that too !!!
Lori Lynn said…
Dear Cristina -because of you I will make reservations at Helene's restaurant next time we are in Paris, and I must have her cookbook!
LL
Diana Bauman said…
Christina, I loved this post. I want to meet Helene! An inspiration indeed!! Besos!!
Anonymous said…
Got our lunch reservation! I'll let you know how it goes!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Jennifer
@Marie

Let me know how it goes!! Bon voyage!!
Y.K.W. said…
Te mando buena onda, cruzo los dedos, y pienso en vos màs que nunca. Vas a ver que funcciona...con tu talento encima !!!

You MUST win, since I know you are the BEST.

Y.K.W.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Y.K.W.

Thanks a lot!! I hope the judges agree with you ;D
Unknown said…
Awesome post. I can see the effort you've put into it! Voted for you :)

Can't believe you're at level 9, just a step away from winning!! [Which you're sure to do]
fromBAtoParis said…
@Avanika

Thank you!! I'll keep my fingers crossed!! (It's tough, though)
Liren said…
The democratization of fine dining - I love this sentiment. What a fascinating review and lady. I really enjoyed learning more about her - Chef Darroze's story is as captivating as her food. I wish you lots of luck Cristina!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Liren:

Thanks !! So glad you appreciated it!
Juli said…
¡¡ muchísima MEEEEERDEEEEEE !!...¡desde acá seguimos colaborando para que llegues al éxito total!. ¡besos!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Juli

Muchas gracias !!!! Qué Juli sos?
Soma said…
with ya.. your food is gorgeous! How can you not win?
fromBAtoParis said…
@Soma

Thanks for your contagious optimism !!!
Sandra said…
What a wonderful post..Love the photos, and the recipes. Everything look just beautiful!
Adelina said…
Cristina,

I so enjoyed reading your post and voting for your few days ago. I feel soooo sad to see the new results. I will miss your beautiful challenges but I am sure you are a better blogger and artist now than ever before. I want to congratulate you for all your accomplishments and want to say that I love you!!!! Sending you a big hug and a kiss :)
fromBAtoParis said…
@Adelina,

Thank you so much, my dear Adelina, for so much love and warmth!! I DO feel sad, of course, but then, people like you brighten my day again!!!