PFB: Challenge # 5: My Argentinian Barbecue-Pizza



I will begin this post with a warning...achtung!! These pizzas don't exist in Buenos Aires..They are just the result of this challenge, and of racking my brains...several days in a row, trying to find something that hasn't been showed in the world of pizzas!!! (Is there something that hasn't been showed yet?)
What's more with pizza, I'm completely out of my "comfort zone"..Why? Am I such a snob that only eats foie-gras??! No way!! I LOVE eating pizza!! But I must confess (and sorry to disappoint the world who believes I'm perfect (?!), that I never make it myself! (please, don't unsuscribe from my blog!!!) I just eat it at the Italian restaurant round the corner, or I order delivery....Et oui !!! pizzas save me on those nights when I'm too tired to cook...or when I am just lazy...Oh, and let me tell you, it is psychologically healthy to feel lazy..from time to time!


Coming back from my digression, I wanted to show you this, that would be a take-away Argentinian barbecue, the take-away being possible thanks to the pizza idea...


1. Starter: an Argentinian barbecue usually begins eating a "provoleta", so here my     Provoleta Pizza with Criolla Sauce...




But what is a provoleta? Well, our Italian inmigrants introduced provolone cheese, and we added oregano and dried pepper flakes and molded this in a kind of disc, that we grill on a foil ...we eat the melted cheese....
So here, my pizza version, a bit more "sophiticated" since I decided to have a layer of caramelised red onions, the spiced provolone, and Criolla sauce on top! Criolla Sauce is made with red, green bell peppers, red onions, wine vinegar and olive oil..This sauce is an Argentinian classic, and together with Chimichurri, it is a "must have" for any barbecue...






My signature touch? Adding the caramelised red onions, that counterbalance the acidity of the Criolla sauce and the spicy provoleta...




Is it wrong if a foodblogger says that his/her creation is "to die for"?  I don't know...but this pizza is to die for!!! Believe me!!




2. Main Course: Argentinian barbecue (meat & sausages), with Chimichurri Sauce ! 




I've noticed that chimichurri is "in fashion" but I've read recipes that are so far from what is eaten in Argentina, that I would not recognize the taste...The most flagrant deviation is the use of cilantro. No Argentinian gaucho (cowboy) would ever use cilantro for the simple reason that cilantro is of, comparatively speaking, recent introduction in our country! This recipe (below) has been in my family, and in my friends' families for as long as I can remember....




3. Dessert: Quince fruit cooked in Malbec Sauce & Ricotta Pizza: Being a simple country as we are, in our culinary tastes, an "asado" (barbecue) usually finishes with "queso y dulce" (fromage and quince paste) But here, I decided to cook the natural quince fruit in a Malbec bath....The color that quince acquires is just amazing....it is almost a Malbec caramel that cooks the hard quince to turn it into something soft...incredibly appealing to the palate and the eyes...!


As a tribute to our Italian roots, and to bring to this dessert a familiar taste from my childhood, ricotta cheese !! and caramelised hazelnuts, flaked almonds and raisins...


Quince fruit


What a marriage! with Malbec from Mendoza




I will carry out an investigation to see who has bitten twice !!! my beautiful pizza...Who has committed this crime? Maybe the hungry blogger after her photo session? Et oui!! I confess! It was me !!!
I hope you have enjoyed my "take-away" Argentinian barbecue....


PS: I would like to thank all the people that generously voted for me, the judges,  that found my work worthy of advancing to the 5th challenge...and my family, who ate pizza ALL the week!



For the recipes, click below




To make the pizza dough, you will need:
*flour, 1kilo * bakery fresh yeast, 50gr * warm water, 2 cups * olive oil, 5 tablespoons * salt, 20gr * sugar, 2 teaspoons


In a ceramics bowl, dissolve the yeast with half the water and sugar. Let it stand in a warm place. After 5', you will see bubbles (that the yeast working!) In the bowl of your stand-mixer , with the dough hook, put the flour, salt, and oil. Start mixing slowly. Then add the yeast mix, little by little. Add the rest of the water, always mixing until you get a dough that is quite sticky. How much water depends on the type, brand of flour you used, so adapt the quantity accoding to what you get. Remove dough from mixer and finish kneading by hand. Put the dough in a bowl brushed with oil. Cover the plastic foil. Either leave the dough in a warm place till it doubles/triples volume! (one hour) or put it in the fridge. It takes longer but the result will be the same!  Spread the dough (required quantity accoding to your taste) on a baking dish brushed with oil. 

For the provoleta pizza

To make the caramelised onions, you will need: * red onions, 4 (thinly sliced) * olive oil, 4 tablespoons * sugar, 4 coffespoons * balsamic vinegar, 4 tablespoons
Sauté the onions in olive oil (10'). Add the sugar. Cook in low for 15/20'. Add the vinegar. Cook till evaporation. Salt & pepper.

Criolla Sauce: * red onion, 1 (sliced) * red/green bell pepper, 1 of each, sliced in "mirepoix"(small cubes) , wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon, sunflower oil, 4 tablespoons

Spread the caramelized onions on the pizza dough. Bake (230°C) for 10'. As a topping, sprinkle grated provolone cheese (200gr) mixed with dry origan and dry pepper flakes (to taste) Bake for 5/7' or until the cheese is melted. Decorate with Criolla Sauce

For the barbecue pizza

Spread the pizza dough, according to your taste. Cover with your favorite tomato sauce. bake for 10' . Buy one thick slice of beef entrecote. Cook it on a grill, a few minutes on both sides. The idea is to brown the sides, but the meat should remain medium-raw, if not, when you bake it with the pizza, it will become to dry. Cook two sausages on the grill too.


Cut the meat into not-so-thin slices. Slice the sausages. Place on the pizza dough with the tomato sauce. Bake for 7/8 minutes (or until the meat is at your desired point) Sprinkle the barbecue with chimichurri. Add some sliced cherry tomatoes as decoration.

To make Chimichurri Sauce, you will need: * persil (200gr), chopped * garlic, 4 cloves, thinly chopped *origan (better fresh, if not dry), 1 tablespoon * dry pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon or more, water (if using dry oregano, to hydrate it) 1 tablespoon * wine vinegar, I tablespoon * sunflower oil, 3/4 tablespoons *salt & pepper, to taste
Mix all the ingredients. Chimichurri and Criolla Sauce taste better when they have marinated for some hours. You can keep these sauces in the fridge for 3 days. 




Comments

Those pizzas look beyond incredible! I can't believe how creative you are and what a great twist on pizza?! I just love what you did. Best of luck to you and you definitely have my vote! I'm still drooling, seriously. AMAZING!!! :)
That savory pizza is magnificent! I really love your choice of toppings. And that dessert pizza is delightful.

Cheers,

Rosa
Winnie said…
OMG- so unbelievably delicious-looking! You are so creative and such a talent behind the camera, as well. GREAT job.
Claudia said…
I confess to not making pizzas - others do it so well - like you - and wow - do you dish this up right! I am wishing I was your tasting family- and your pizza dessert is beautifully original and packed with flavor.
Sippity Sup said…
Week after week you bring so much creativity to these posts. Congratulations! GREG
Jean said…
Are you getting tired of me saying everything you make is beautiful? Well, it's true. I would serve everything you made here to company. And no, it's not bad for you to say your pizza is "to die for". :-)

Boy, you're nailing the challenges, one after the other. Very well done. :-)
Miriam said…
Qué creaciones tan estupendas, Cristina! Me encanta el provoleta, así que pienso probarlo alguna vez, porque yo sí que hago pizza de vez en cuando... ;)
Asha @ FSK said…
beautiful post.. I love the photo of the maincourse pizza served in the tray... And thanks so much for the authentic chimichurri sauce. I am going to try that soon!!

haha.. high five to us both using poached fruits!! :))
Bravo !!! Love the take on pizza and that you shared your recipe for the famous "sauce" ! The photos are amazing Cristina. You've outdid yourself on this one!
Anonymous said…
I looked at your blog first thing this morning, when everyone in the house was still sleeping - hoping to be first, for once, but it was too early. Obviously, I haven't spent my Sunday glued at the computer table... and now : 10 comments already ! What a star you have become ! I also notice that you have a faithful bunch of steady admirers...like me !
Well, this display of pizzas is almost like fireworks, unfolding until the finale. Wow ! Such variety, such colours ! A treat for the eyes and for the palate too certainly... since you say so !
Hurray, Cristina, you're on the winning track !
Y.K.W
P.S. Young Alexandre peeped on his way to his bedroom and immediately recognized your blog. When he discovered it was on pizzas, he said I should follow suit - I'll see what I can do, next weekend maybe !
Cherine said…
Oh my, I'm drooling. Your pizza topping is magnificent... and your dessert, oh my, it's out of this world!!
Your family should be really lucky :)
Chef Chuck said…
Cristina! Now my mouth is watering!!
Your pizza is to die for, the cheese blend and the sausage..... and so on!
Your style of photo's and writing sets the mood nicely~ Your Wonderful :)
All the best, Chuck
fromBAtoParis said…
@Chef Chuck:

I feel honoured..This comment, coming from the King of Italian food...Oh là là !!!
Thanks a lot!
Frank said…
Wow, this looks amazing!
Nancy said…
Out of your comfort zone? Well no one would have ever guessed that looking at your mouthwatering creations. My mouth is watering too much to come up with enough superlatives to describe your pizzas...I'll get back to you :)
Lisa said…
Your pizzas are amazing. Each one looks so delicious. I wish I could have both of them in front of me right now. You've got my vote.
FOODalogue said…
A 3-course pizza dinner with Luigi Bosca wine is a dream come true! :) I just returned from Buenos Aires this morning -- and certainly had my share of provoleta while I was there. Great idea to add the chopped vinaigrette to balance it out.
P.S. I loved the various vegetable tortas!
TorontoGirlWest said…
You're going to keep going amiga!

Your posts are too beautiful for words!!!!!
denise said…
Cristina - love the savoury pizza but the quince and ricotta pizza is just stunning! Your sugar work is faultless!! Everything is beautiful, beautiful, as always!
Cristina, unbelievable! It's just gorgeous and those caramelized nuts look ridiculously tasty...and a little dangerous! ;)

I never make pizza (well hardly ever) or sushi. Somethings are just better as take-out!
Grazie per questo bellissimo post, ho apprezzato molto mi sembra tutto buonissimo e gustoso, ciao
Gabriela said…
Un honor para los argentinos vernos representados en esas pizzas...Felicitaciones!
Barbara said…
I confess Cristina, I am NOT a pizza maker or even eater! But I used to be and I know a fabulous one when I see one. (or three)

Love how your bring your heritage into all the versions and wish I had been there sharing the results all week after your photo shoots!

Brilliant photos, too!
You KNOW I'm voting for you! :)
Heather said…
This is unbelievably beautiful and innovative! I am in love with the idea of Malbec Caramel!!
Amelia PS said…
beautifully presented! and wonderful inclusion of Argentinian flavors. The sugar balls on the dessert pizza are so choreographic!
Jamie said…
My first visit to your blog and I am both very hungry and in love! Stunning pictures to highlight this apazing pizza! Of all the PFB pizzas I have seen, this is the one I want. Fabulous!
Jacob's Kitchen said…
Yum! Great post! What a delicious take on pizza. That quince pizza looks especially tantalizing. Nicely done. Stunning photos as always. You put us all to shame. I voted for you, of course!

Best of luck! Hope to see us both in round 6! =)
Adelina said…
Yum!!! I seriously want to move to Paris and become your neighbor. I love everything you create. I am in love with all your recipes... Great post! I so want to try everything you make. You know I am going to be voting for you. I am sure you're going to get to the finish line soon.
Lori Lynn said…
Hi Cristina - Maravilloso!! I appreciate all the work you put into this challenge. Not one but three pizzas. Each one more beautiful than the other. I am one of your biggest fans! Good luck!
LL
fromBAtoParis said…
@Adelina:
I would like to be your neighbor too !!!

@Stefania:
Wow, first comment from Italy !!! Tante grazie!!!

@Jamie
Welcome to my blog and thanks!!!

@Jacob
Your post is lovely too, and I think we have ALL shown a lot of creativeness and imagination!

@Lori Lynn
I'm also one of your fans !!!
Awe, you did such an amazing job and I love your humility b/c I was wracking my brain over this challenge as well since pizza is something I usually don't make myself. Great job and beautiful photos!
Anonymous said…
Love these pizzas--the first one especially brings me back to the Argentinian restaurant we ate at during our last evening in London. Now I want to make and freeze some pizza dough to make this Sunday when we get back from a wedding.

You have my vote! I'm
Wow, you went way above and beyond! These are BEAUTIFUL! :)

Sues
Magic of Spice said…
Everything looks amazingly lovely, as always :)
Unknown said…
Wow, you did an entire meal! Lovely post, and that pizza does look "to die for." ;)
Liren said…
Mmm, Cristina! Two beautiful pizzas! You know I'm a fan of Argentinian barbecue, and you also know I'm a big offender of the cilantro in my chimichurri :) I know it's not entirely authentic, but I do like how it tastes! I can't wait to try yours!
Beautiful as always! I thought your post was all about the Provoleta Pizza but then I scrolled down and discovered two more scrumptious pizzas! I am printing out your chimichurri sauce recipe and the dessert pizza I will make soon, very soon.
cookeatlove said…
Amazing job. You have my vote.
The Cuisinerd said…
Beautiful, rustic, I absolutely love your BBQ chicken. Nicely done!

I hope we both advance to #6!
Ben said…
I might be able to die for the proveleta pizza, but only if I could also eat the other two before I passed. Really like what you did here. Don't believe I've ever seen these combinations on a pizza. Nicely done!
Reeni said…
What wonderful creations! I especially love the provelata! What a treat. And your dessert is lovely too! Good luck!
Stella said…
Oh Cristina! This all looks amazing. I want to eat with you at your flat (smile), even if this isn't really Argentinean. It looks like it is-kind of (smile).
Oh, and your photos are so pretty and clear. I love the one with you carrying the ingredients...
I'm running over to F.B.;)
Peggy said…
The creativity with these pizzas is beyond incredible! You did a great job with these and my mouth is still watering after reading! You've definitely got my vote!
Quay Po Cooks said…
Those pizzas are out of this world! I voted for you.
ChefMarijoe said…
Wowwww Cristina, simplemente brillante!! y esa foto de los membrillos y el Luigi Bosca me tiene la boca hecha agua :-)
Una prueba más de que en Argentina saben de pizzas; de hecho la mejor que me he comido hasta hora ha sido en un tarantín perdido en El Tigre, "Pajarito"
Gracias por compartir esta maravilla y ya voté por tí!
xoxo
Ma. José
Sara said…
That looks fantastic. And your pictures are beautiful.
eataduckimust said…
i was already drooling reading through your first 2 pizzas, but then i got to the last one and i was ready to eat my screen. that looks unbelievable. you got our vote!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ChefMariJoe:

Donde quedaba esa pizzeria? Cuando vivia en Argentina, vivia en el Tigre....
Both pizzas are equally beautiful, if it had been me taking the photos, I would have taken a few bites of the dessert pizza as well. ;)
Gorgeous pizzas. Not bad for someone outside of her comfort zone. :)
Graciela said…
Hola Cris!

"Banchero" y "Los Inmortales" al lado tuyo son historias del tiempo e'ñaupa.
Qué creatividad my dear!!
En tu lugar rebautizaría la pizza de postre como "pizza de vigilante"
Sigo votando por vos así me gano un premio, jajaja!
El esfuerzo vale la pena!
Besitos australes.
Graciela
ChefMarijoe said…
Cristina, es una pizzería en el medio de uno de los brazos del río. Llegamos en lancha, que me parece es la única manera de llegar. No tengo ni idea que otra referencia darte, nos llevaron unos amigos que también viven en El Tigre. Es todo muy rústico,casi surrealista como en el medio de la nada pero ya te digo la mejor pizza que me he comido en mi vida :-)
Saludos desde Seattle!

Ma.José
That looks mighty tasty!!!! I passed along a vote.

Lisa.
Nancy said…
Christina all of the pizzas are just incredible! You are such a genius in the kitchen. I've casted my vote and looking forward to the next one.
wow, se ven geniales tus pizzas, me pudo encantar como maridaste la pizza con ingredientes y recetas tan típicamente argentinos. bravo.
Amber said…
Okay, I am ordering pizza from you now.
Nice comment from you, it just took a while for me to get back to my blog.
Jason Phelps said…
How fantastic! You took local tastes and applied them to pizza creating something that doesn't really exist where you are. I'm voting for that!

Jason
Roadtrek Girl said…
Cristina,
If I could I would give you every single vote I have. Again just incredible work,it's easy to see how you have advanced to this challenge. I'm drolling over all of them. But the provoleta is my favorite !
Fran said…
Oh my gosh! This is a tough question. I love the photos of the fruit and wine pizza, but the provoleta wins my vote. I loved eating that whenever I went to a restaurant and have made it at home when I moved back here, but it's never as good as what I got in Buenos Aires. I am definitely going to use your recipe and make one of these this weekend!

I wish it was Saturday already!!!!
daphne said…
Your pizza is insane. . I am hungry=)xoxo
Paula Pereira said…
I really like the first pizza with the argentian criolle sauce, I imagine this would taste delicious!

thank u
Theresa said…
I'm such a sucker for chimichurri! I need to make that second pizza pronto! Everything looks amazing!

Popular Posts