PFB Challenge # 3: The No-Time Luxury Dinner Party

Thanks to the judges and your generosity (thank you SO much!!!!), here I am in Challenge #3. Guidelines? A luxury dinner...I love receiving my friends home in a cool, no-frills atmosphere, but yes..sometimes there are occasions in life when we have to cook "to kill" (so to speak..LOL) Business dinners, first-time in-laws...that particularly obnoxious sister in-law???!! (Oh, come on, Cristina !! You don't say things like that in a blog...all bloggers are angels cooking directly from Heaven) Well, whatever the reason, sometimes we MUST make a good impression!!! but modern people that we are, we don't want to spend days cooking...so my challenge is to prepare for you a luxury dinner, high on visual impact, low on time...Impossible? Just wait and see!

Place? Paris, October 2010. Mission? Five-course Luxury Dinner... Time? Little, little time !!


So, a French dinner party, perfectly balanced: sea-food, poultry, meat, cheese, dessert, la crème de la crème française !!!!  I will try to show the world what a typical French dinner would be like, how to adapt it to foreign palates....and some dos and donts!



Oysters in Cider Sauce
Preparation Time: 10'
Foie Gras sauté in Apple Sauce
Preparation Time: 30'
Pork Roast with Chestnuts "Confit", and "Fondant/Croquant " Sweet Potatoes
Preparation Time: 20'
Cheese Selection
Here (from left to right) Brillat-Savarin, Epoisses, Ossau-Iraty, Brie, Roquefort
Tropical Passion: Sponge Cake "punché" in Rhum, Mango/Banana Compote, Pineapple, Vanilla Icecream
Preparation Time: (day before: 15') + 30' (or less!!!!!)




Oysters always add "a touch of class"...On top of being delicious, they are ready in no time..!! The fact that they are presented here, in an apple-cream sauce, makes them appealing even for those guests who might not like their too "sea-salty" taste!




Foie-Gras...I know, for non-French might be "difficult" to eat....This is why I sliced it very, very thin! This is like having a "glimpse" of its flavor and texture..Good for a first "foie-gras encounter"....




Pork is generally a crowd-pleaser..Sweet chestnuts "confit" (that you can buy ready-made, or "glacé" the ones you will find in a park..it's the picking season!) Sweet potatoes: crispy in the outside, but with a "heart" that will melt in your mouth...!



Cheese selection: remember to take the cheese out of the fridge around 45' before serving! In your selection, there should be variety between cow, goat, (and sheep) milk cheese, and soft and hard paste! It's a good idea (if you have the room) to put the cheeses on a different table, so that guests move around, they don't have to be sitting all the time...this encourages new conversations between different groups or people...
In France, a dinner party is a formal event...you are expected to be well-dressed...don't arrive there in your tennis shoes...!


Even the youngest ones get ready for the occasion! They also want to be "chic" .... Well, it's easy with girls...!


However, I always have trouble convincing my son that dinners in France ARE formal !!! This is his idea of elegance...! (no comments ;D


I named this dessert, that I created, Tropical Passion: bananas, mango, pineapples, orange, vanilla, rhum...Almost a cocktail !!! 








As if we hadn't had enough calories, coffee with velvet-textured chocolate.... In France, it is also very popular, to drink "tisanes" (herbal teas) after dinner



Now you will understand why, when I came to France, directly from Argentina, with no knowledge of cooking whatsoever, these formal dinners were a "nightmare" for me!!! Thinking of reproducing something like that was completely out of my capacity...BUT I'm a stubborn girl...I said to myself: "I will learn too" If I could do it, you can do it too, and better!
Well, I hope you have enjoyed this "virtual" invitation to a Parisian dinner, and that you will make some of the recipes at home...That would be my real success! However, (and I feel terribly embarrassed!) I have to ask you to vote for me (if you believe my work is worthy of your vote) between 6am Pacific Time October 4th, to 6pm October 7th.
Thanks a lot!!!! Muchisimas Gracias !!!!!!!

If you want the recipes, see below...




Oysters in Cider Sauce (serves 6)
* oysters, 3 dozens * cider, 1/2 litre * thick cream, 30gr *butter, 100gr * persil, salt & pepper
Open the oysters (be careful!!!, use the right utensil if you can, not a knife)


Put the oysters in the boiling cider for 1'. Remove and strain. Keep them warm. Keep the cider boiling till reduced to 1/3. Add the cream. Heat to a boil. Add in the butter (in pieces). Whisk under low heat. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Accomodate the oysters on a serving dish with coarse salt (to prevent them from "flying away"), pour a bit of sauce on each oyster, sprinkle with finely chopped persil. 
(Recipe adapted from "Le Grand Livre de la Cuisine-Elle")

Foie Gras sauté in Apple Sauce (serves 6)
* raw foie-gras of 500gr approx., 1 * apple juice, 300ml * green apples, 2 * lemon juice (1/2 lemon) * white vinegar, 2 tablespoons * sugar, 150gr * vanilla pod, 1 (cut lengthwise)  * salt & pepper
Remove any possible nerves from the foie-gras. Be careful not to make "cuts" to the foie-gras. Cut the foie gras in slices of a bit less than one inch (2cm) Refrigerate.
Put the sugar and 70ml of water in a saucepan at medium/low heat.Take to a boil without stirring. When color changes to a light caramel, add in the apple juice and vinegar..Be careful!!! Do it little by little...the caramel will splash!! Scrape the grains from the vanilla pod. Add to the sauce. Let simmer 10'
Wash and dry the apples. Cut them in thin slices without peeling. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside. 
Heat a non-stick skillet medium/high (no oil..nothing!) Place the foie-gras slices. Cook 30 seconds !!! (if you leave it more, the foie-gras will virtually "disappear") Turn around. Cook 30''.  Remove from skillet. Serve on the plates. Decorate with the apple slices and a spoonful of apple sauce.
Recipe adapted from chef Jean Sulpice, restaurant L'Oxalys, Val Thorens)


Pork Roast with Chestnut Confit and Spices, Fondant/Croquant Sweet Potatoes
* pork roast, 900gr *marrons confits, 1 pot (or follow the recipe to make them confit) * garlic cloves, 4 * salt, 1 coffeespoon * sugar, 1 tablespoon * 5 spices, 1 tablespoon * onion, 1 * ginger, 1 big nut, * sunflower oil, 2 tablespoons, * gin, 4 tablespoons, * butter, 20gr, * sherry vinegar, 2 tablespoons * juniper berries, 1 coffeespoon
The day before: slice the garlic cloves into two, and put them inside the roast. Combine the salt, sugar and 5 spices and rub the roast with it, till complete adherence. Wrap the roast in plastic film. Refrigerate all night or several hours. The following day: Chop the onion. Make it whiten in a cocotte with the oil and the butter. Put the roast on the onions, and sear the pork until it gets a golden brown crust. Peel and grate the ginger. Put it inside the cocotte, with the juniper berries, the gin and half a glass of water or vegetable stock. Cook medium heat (60'), sprinkling the roast with the juices from time to time. Some minutes before it is done, strain the chestnuts keeping aside the syrup. Put the chestnuts in the cocotte and cook for another 15'. At the last moment, turn up fire to high, pour the vinegar, wait a few minutes till it evaporates and serve immediately. 


If you can't get chestnuts confits,  get some chestnuts and "confit" them like this: in a saucepan, put 100gr of sugar, and 100gr of water. Take to a boil. Add in the chestnuts. Simmer for one hour, till chestnuts are soft and sweet.

Fondant/Croquant Sweet Potatoes
*sweet potatoes, 1 kilo * clarified butter or ghee * thym *chicken stock
Peel the sweet potatoes and shape them into squares like in the photo. Sauté the sqaures in a frying pan with the ghee. They should be golden on all sides. Add the thym and enough chicken stock to cover the squares by half. Cook covering with aluminum foil until tender. 



Tropical Passion


The Day Before: For the sponge cake (or génoise), follow the recipe here. Put the batter in a big baking dish. We don't want it very high here. Cut it in circles using a ring mold (here, 8cm) You will get 6/8 circles with this recipe.


Secret (shhhh!!!!!) If you really don't have time, you can buy it in a good bakery...


To make a sirop d'imbibage, following the recipe here, add some rhum to taste.


To make the compote: cut 2 mangoes into small cubes, and two bananas in thickish slices (sprinkle the bananas with lemon juice!) Put 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, add the mangoes and bananas, then add 3 tablespoons of brown sugar. Cook till sugar begins to caramelize. Don't overcook the fruit! We don't want a purée. Let the compote cool. Add powder gelatin..How much? this is what I said about giving you tools...Gelatin should be 1,5% of the total mass...so weigh the compote mixture, figure out 1,5 % ...let's say it's 8 gr...Dissolve 8gr in 5 times cold water. Let it hydrate. Then, warm just a little bit in micro-wave. Incorporate to the compote. Put the compote into this type of silicon mold, that in France is used for "inserts" (hidden layers of mousse, for ex, inside the entremets)



Put it in the freezer for 2 hours. Then unmold. Place on the cake rings. The idea is that the "insert" should be slightly smaller than the cake. Cut the pineapple rings in small pieces (you can use canned pineapples!)


Finish this dessert adding a dollop of vanilla icecream (recipe here) or if pressed for time, buy some good-quality icecream. Decorate with slices of orange and chocolate.











Comments

Jagegs said…
I was failed to comment in your blog, i loved your way of writing .. it is sweet and easy to read ..
and loved tropical passion .. tx for sharing..
Chef Chuck said…
You come a long way and I see a great Cook/Photographer in you!!
Finding your blog has given me a great sense of France and friendship!
Thank you for bringing me out to eat if France, it was a wonderful display for dinner:)
O yes, your daughter looks beauitful!!
Thanks again for sharing your foods and spectacular life!
You got my vote!!!
Barbara said…
Oh Cristina, you've really done it this time! What a divine dinner. Am I invited?
Congratulations on making it to the third round; this dinner will guarantee you the fourth!
Your food and pictures are just sooo incredibly beautiful! I especially love the desert, it looks sooo delicious. You did a wondeful job with the 3rd entry. Congrats on making it to the 3rd round and good luck!
FOODalogue said…
I accept the invite. :) Lovely, lovely, lovely! Beautiful dinner and, as always, a great blog presentation.
Winnie said…
Impossibly gorgeous. I love everything about this...those oysters, in particular. FABULOUS.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody

Thank you very much !!! I'm so glad you liked it!!
Miriam said…
Cristina, te has superado a ti misma! El menú, las fotos, la historia... increíbles! Tienes que ganar...
Edda said…
Eres una maravilla en la cocina!
Baci
Lisa said…
It looks amazing!
Absolutely Beautiful Post!
Whitney said…
your presentation is REDIC! so amazing, i wish i was there! I am honored to be competing against such TALENT!!
Erica said…
I like it a lot!
Asha @ FSK said…
What an elegant spread!!! love the choice of courses and way the whole dinner flows beautifully..
Jean said…
Wow, and this was a "no-time" dinner party? I believe you and I should just walk away in shame. Everything is so visually appealing, from the setting to the food (and I could have eaten ALL the foie gras!). So nicely done!
bunkycooks said…
Cristina,

This is such a fabulous dinner. This is truly what this competition should be about. Good luck advancing to the next round!

Gwen
Sippity Sup said…
OMG! Really stunning in every way! GREG
Christina - The dinner looks divine and so French. The photos are beautiful. I especially love the dessert. And, also love the photo of your building. Good luck in the competition...you have my vote!
Nancy said…
Oye que yo tambien creo lo que dice Miriam. Everything looks divine, elegant, exquisite and yet very welcoming at the same time. The only thing I have to say I would skip on is the Foi Gras. Not because of the taste, because it is delicious, but because of my own moral reasons against the treatment of the animals. I know, that would be extremely rude to do at a French dinner party.
Anyways, you know you have my vote. Can't wait to see you advance.
Mhel said…
It's French and Fancy! Lucky you for being in the most Romantic and elegant place, definitely inspiring to put up a real luxurious dinner! You deserve to advance! You definitely have my vote!! Incredible! I love everthing, especially your Tropical Passion and the Cheese bar, how could I resist that?
Anonymous said…
You're definitely hooked ! Congratulations and cheers for a stunning menu, Cristina ! You're amazing !

Y.K.W. from Brest
Unknown said…
How can I not vote for you? Your dinner party looks beyond luxurious to me! I must move to Paris and learn your incredible skills.
Roxan said…
Christina great great job with your diner party! You are a fabulous chef and your guests were treated to a wonderful and elegant dinner.
Wow,everything looks awesome, would not guess it was so fast to prepare. Working on my post!
Torviewtoronto said…
delicious dinner
lovely presentation picture
tYour blog entry made me feel like I was reading one of my favourite cookbooks.

Of course, I'm sure it helps that I love fine food, have lived in Paris in the past, and I'm also Latina. We have a lot in common.

You managed to host a spectacular dinner party. I will vote for you without a shadow of a doubt!

And I will be back - often! :o)
Cherine said…
I love the menu, the photos, the French dinner... everything looks excellent and beautiful...
I will definitely vote for you!! Good luck and all the best!
Stella said…
Whoa! This meal looks amazing. I mean it too, Cristina. Wow! I want a plate of those oysters right now, as my mouth reacted right when I saw them. That's serious food photography if you ask me (smile)!
My new internet line is acting funny, Cristina. Just wanted to stop by quickly and tell you how happy I am that you made it to round 3. Yeah;)!
XO, Stella
Charisse said…
Absolutely gorgeous! I think your dinner was a success! Lovely!
Claudia said…
Note to self: move to Paris and learn to cook like Cristina. I love the introduction of oysters - with the touch of sweet and creamy. Love the balance.
If only I could have been there--I would have helped you shuck you oysters!

An utter masterpiece! I can't even begin to determine which dish I like the best. And I love the surprise exotic dessert at the end!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody

An immense THANK YOU for all these incredibly encouraging comments...Wow !! I feel overwhelmed, in a positive sense !!! You are ALL just amazing !!!
The Duo Dishes said…
You went over and above luxury with this one. Love that dessert! It is the epitome of class and distinction on a plate. You get a vote for sure!
Fantastic menu! I'd definitely RSVP, you've got my vote!
@BarbarianTable
jen cheung said…
this looks so professional! looks like you work in a fine dining restaurant! no lies - look at all these delicious food. what caught my attention is oysters!! haven't had them for quite a while !!!! good luck and u got my vote again! take cares


Have a fabulous week!
jen @ www.passion4food.ca
Unknown said…
What an amazing dinner party. Please invite me over!!! I have to admit, i find dinner parties really daunting. I usually start my preparations about 2 days in advance, and by the time i'm done and the guests leave my back hurts and i am VERY cranky LOL.
That desert looks positively outstanding.
Anyone invited to one of your luxury dinner parties is super lucky :)
*kisses* HH
The Blonde Duck said…
Popped in to say hi! It all looks delicious!
stephchows said…
breathtaking photos! voted
Magic of Spice said…
Just stunning...everything looks amazing, and the presentation is superb...voted :)
Delishhh said…
Awesome! Love it. You got my vote!
Brilynn said…
Gorgeous assortment of food for your dinner party, well done!
Adelina said…
This is just beautiful! It's a work of art! What a cute family! i will mark my vote right now!
b comme bon said…
Tout à l'aire aussi bon que beau… belle harmonie entre le plaisir des yeux et celui des papilles… j'ai voté…
Dimah said…
What a beautiful post and stunning pictures! everything looks amazing and yummy!
Good luck :)
Cristina ! Great job, everything looks perfect ! Voted !
Everything is so breathtaking and amazing! I love your presentation of all the dishes! Those sweet potatoes are my favourite! You have my vote!
Voted as promised! Please look at my entry too, to round 4 for us both!
Sarah the Bear said…
Wow! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! What a treat of a meal! Good luck!
As soon as I read the place was Paris, my natural reaction was - isn't any dinner party in Paris luxury?! Then reality hit and I realized that no, not all of them are.
I sent a red heart your way. Good luck!
Your pictures are as beautiful as your dinner must have been. My vote's in. Good luck!
*gasp*

You are making me yearn for Paris...love your building, your blog, your snaps! If I shuck the oysters can I come to the next party? I am a champion oyster shucker!
Jessica said…
How beautiful! Your photos are stunning! Hope we both make it to the next round! :-) You have my vote!
Gaby said…
Wow Wow Wow! apologies Cristina not to have commented earlier but I did vote!
Magnificent work, dedication and professionalism ooze out of every dish.
Just to be curious.. are you in France for good or for a limited period of time?
I think I may have just drooled over my keyboard and I have this post to blame. All your fault for dishing up a dinner that is just oozing with elegance and amazing food. From the pork roast to the passion sponge cake...can this get any better? I have to see what you'll do in the 4th Challenge..hope to see you there with my vote! Love this!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody:

I'm really speechless...!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!!!!!!

@ Gaby,

I don't know how long I will stay in France...but I DO know that I will finish my days in Argentina...!
Ed said…
Great job and excellent pictures. Glamourous! Vote is yours.
S said…
utterly beautiful. i wish i could actually *attend* one of your dinners. i really hope you win, darling girl. x shayma
Libby said…
I loved this. You're very brave in creating a "high impact" dinner party - when my inlaws come to town we take them OUT. To the finest restaurants. And they STILL complain LOL Kudos, you got my vote! Hope we both make it to the next round! http://bit.ly/cNNCrR
Amelia PS said…
This is one of my favorite posts in this challenge: beautiful, delicious and...in no-time? That's hard to do! Very well planned and executed. Voted :)
Amelia PS said…
p.s.
see my post here: http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/3/view/1094
Butter said…
Magnificent! You take amazing photos and style your food just beautifully. Everything looks soooo delicious and you made it look so very easy. You have a gift.
And you have my vote.

- Butter
(from Running On Butter)
Love the luxury of your party! You have a vote from me!

My dinner party was designed to take the diner food from Gooch's Diner, where my parents first met over 40 years ago, and elevate it to luxury for their 39th wedding anniversary. Come see if you'd like :)
fromBAtoParis said…
@everybody

Completely overwhelmed!!! thank you, thank you, thank you !!!
Denise said…
Hi Cristina - been a while since I've dropped by. Haven't had much time on my hands but just wanted you to know that I've been voting for you since the first round and will do so, whether or not you see me here, for as long as you're in the competition. Good to see that you have tons of support :) Gorgeous food and photos btw, as always!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Denise:

I know you are such a good friend !!!! One of the best people I met since blogging...I haven't had much time either...going crazy with this and some other stuff !!!
Take care..Muchosbesitos!
Anonymous said…
Everything you made looks beautiful and delicious! What a treat to have such a great French meal... your guests must have loved it! Good luck in PFB!
Mariko said…
Can you do this really that fast??? You must be a pro.