Banana / Passionfruit Upside-Down Cake...for a July 4th Picnic...




Short of ideas for the July 4th picnic? (or any picnic for that matter..!) This cake is very easy to make, yet I think you'll receive the "originality" prize from the other picnic participants !!! I adore the tropical flavors...the tanginess of passionfruit finds a perfect balance in sweet banana caramel....
Just try it !




One of the good things about blogging is that you learn a lot about other cultures, traditions... I didn't know Americans celebrated their Independence Day with picnics...In Argentina, Independence Day is July 9th (Have you noticed many countries in America became independent in July, of different years? What is it? A month appropriate for breaking up chains? AND France! though there, it is not independence exactly...) 




Well, to go back to my original point (my husband always complains about how much I digress in conversation!), in Argentina, we celebrate with stews, empanadas....Hot dishes for our cold July celebration!!, so the idea of a picnic never crossed my mind...until today... BUT having horribly high temperatures here in Paris, I decided to leave aside my original idea of "staging" this post in the open air....and I decided my multi-purpose (if tiny) balcony would be just right !!!




Happy Birthday, USA !!!, and for my readers of other countries...enjoy this summery cake as much as I do!!



For the recipe, look here....






To make this banana / passion fruit cake, you will need:

 * eggs, 3
 * sugar, 150gr
 * butter, 200gr
 * flour, 150gr 
 * vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon
 * bananas, 2
 * passionfruit, 2
(for the caramel)
 * sugar, 150gr
 * water, 4 tablespoons
 * lemon juice, 4 drops

Pre-heat your oven ( 180°C) and butter a cake mold (here I used a 18cm one). In a standmixer, whisk the eggs and sugar till the mixture whitens.  Add the vanilla extract, the butter (melted), and the flour (sifted). Cut one passionfruit, put the pulp and seeds in a strainer. Press with a spoon. Add this juice to the cake mixture. Whisk everything well. Is it too much to ask you to do this in synchronicity with the caramel? Like this this cake will take no time!
Make the caramel bringing the sugar and water to a boil, in a thick-bottomed saucepan, during 6/8' (or when the caramel has a beautiful amber color) Take the pan off the heat and add the lemon juice drops. 
Pour the caramel in the mold. Accomodate the bananas previously cut in thick slices, together with the seeds and juice of the other passion fruit. Pour the cake mixture on top. Bake for 35/40'. Unmold on a dish.

Recipe adapted from: Elle à Table.

Comments

Claudia said…
How very sweet it is! Perfect for a picnic. I am in the midst of orgazining a huge 4th of July Barbecue. I didn't know Argentica's Indepndence Day was July 9th. That is a fun fact. And today is Canada Day. But I digress. The fruity cake is perfect summer fare and sits so prettily on your balcony. I wish I could join it.
Miriam said…
Qué tarta tan preciosa, Cristina! Me apetece y eso que no me gusta la fruta de la pasión! Feliz independencia ;-)
Roxan said…
Oh Christina that just looks SO delicious! I'm having my morning cup of tea right now and that cake would go perfect with it.
Is those shots taken from your balcony in paris? so cute!
Unknown said…
Stunning cake! Maybe I should celebrate 4th of July here in the UK just so I can have an excuse to eat this :). Have a great weekend.
*kisses* HH
Magic of Spice said…
This is just so beautiful, and I bet it tastes fantastic:)
Cherine said…
Love this cake! Looks delicious!
Anonymous said…
This looks so delicious!!! I'm gonna have to add this to my summer recipes :)
Claudia said…
Que rico y como siempre tu presentación y tus fotos impecables. Enhorabuena!!!.
Un beso.
Claudia
Gorgeous! This is perfect for Independence Day--in any country!
bunkycooks said…
So lovely and what a nice change for a 4th of July picnic!
Joy said…
That looks great. I like that you incorporated passion fruit. Great add.
fromBAtoParis said…
@ everybody:

Thanks a lot !!!! I am glad you liked the cake !!!
Me ganaste Cristina!. Esta torta de la Elle a Table me ha estado haciendo ojitos desde que me llego el numero a casa.

Y te quedo divina, que bueno que la has hecho porque me has motivado y ahora mismo me lanzo a hacerla(creo que hare la de limones con caramelo..porque no tengo fruta de la pasion).

Y Feliz Dia de la Independencia Argentina (adelantadito)

ah, y vamos Argentina!
The Housewife said…
This is simply gorgeous! I can only imagine the genius combination of passionfruit and banana...
Stella said…
I just saw this on FoodGawker, Cristina. It sounds so delicious, and is obviously beautiful too! I love a picnic by the way. Funny thing is though, we never do it on the 4th. Maybe I should plan one for this weekend? Maybe...
Un Beso, Stella
A beautiful and sunny cake Cristina - perfect for summer and for a picnic, no matter what the celebration!!
Barbara said…
When I was visiting Paris while my daughter lived there, I had a picnic nearly every day by the Seine. With a lovely baguette! :)

I loved seeing you make a cake with passion fruit. It's such a marvelous flavor and while we use the juice a lot, we don't use it enough as a fruit. This is really perfect, Cristina!
Your photos, as usual, are soooo inviting.
fromBAtoParis said…
@Barbara:

You seem to have such lovely memories from Paris. I hope you come back soon !!
Thanks for your ever-warm comments!!!
Anonymous said…
Browsing through your blog (again and again), a quotation comes to my mind : "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever"... And if it TASTES good, it's sheer bliss !
You know what ? I've become addicted !!!

Y.K.W.
This looks like the perfect dessert for a picnic. That tangy taste you describes sounds delicious. I hope you had a beautiful weekend! Thanks for the tweet as well - made me smile. =)
Unknown said…
This looks incredible, what a beautiful cake to celebrate a holiday and share at a picnic!
Anonymous said…
I have tried it last saturday... Simply perfect! My wife adored and I received congrats from my mother in law... (not bad, hein??) Thank you Cristina!