Paris: C'est le printemps !!! (It's Springtime)



Et oui !!!! finally, springtime has arrived..March 21st (Shhhhh !!! also, it is my birthday today!)



And I feel twice as happy because one of my best friends has come to visit me from Argentina, in fact, my friend E. is my first friend in life. We met when we were 6 years old and we shared every single day of school, during 12 years !!, and all our after-school games, our vacations, our first teenage dates....then life (men!) took us along different paths...we got married, we had children....but somewhere in our hearts, we keep on being the same two girls that "play" together..we have laughed and cried together (life has sometimes been far from easy...), but still here we are, the same feeling bonds us together...
And me, in my mission of showing Paris to someone !! being the "tour guide"...yeah! you guessed right...gastronomic tour (what else with me?)
We started with a "chocolaterie" ...Chapon
Have you noticed the huge copper pots used here for lighting? 



And the chocolate-mold wall "paper"? Besides, it is one of the few places in this world (if not the only) with a "chocolate mousse bar".


Then, on rue du Bac, one of my favourites...Monsieur Conticini and his "Pâtisserie des Rêves". He has modernised not only the architectural look of a traditional pâtisserie française.....


with his almost theatrical "mise en scène" for cakes....


but also he has a new, "aggiornata" (updated) version of French pastry classics: 
  * The Saint- Honoré...




Mini-versions of long-standing Paris-Brest ("gâteau" created in honor of a bicycle race between Paris and Brest, the round pâte representing the wheel of a bicycle) and again St Honoré....


and my favourite "his Tatin aux pommes" (apple tarte tatin) Please, I would love to eat this before dying...!
Of course, if you think that looking on the internet for the recipe for these "entremets" will lead you to reproduce these unique "gems" of French "savoir-faire"....forget about it! 
Monsieur Conticini's recipe is an absolute secret... 
Maybe if my blog becomes famous, he will reveal his secret to me???? "Je rêve" (I'm dreaming) Who knows.....?

PS/ All the flowers in the first photo can be found on Quai de la Mégisserie, in front of the Seine river. (You will also find pets on sale there)

Comments

en buenos aires todavia es 20... ultimas horitas de verano!
feliz primavera, y feliz cumpleaños!
juliana
Patricia said…
Querida Cristina: Te felicito por tu cumpleaños March 21st y por tu exitoso blog. Para cuando leas este mensaje te habrás enterado de que te han pasado la antorcha como uno de los blogs más creativos. Las fotos son admirables más que envidiables. Keep it up!!!
Lo mejor como siempre.
Cariños para vos y la flia.
Patricia de A.
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful story!!
I hope that you and your friend E. will be friends forever.
I would like to wish you a Happy Birthday, you are the best chef in the world!!
From: Your daughter M.
Mjosé said…
Feliz cumpleaños !
Disfruta del día y.... de los exquisitos pasteles que hay en Paris.
espero q hayas tenido un lindo cumpleaños, y q la primavera se este notando... aca no paro de llover desde q empezo el otoño!
te nomine para un premio: http://horneandoalgo.blogspot.com/2010/03/y-el-premio-es-para.html
Miriam said…
Acabo de descubrir tu blog y creo que sin duda volveré! Felicidades en tu cumpleaños y que sigas haciendo estas fotos tan buenas!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Everybody: Thanks a lot for the birthday greetings, compliments and prizes....thanks a lot for showing you care !!!!! I feel honoured and moved..
A huge kiss to everybody !
Gourmantic said…
Happy (belated) birthday from Australia! I'm drooling over these gateaux. Must go to that patisserie next time I'm in Paris!
Chef Chuck said…
I like the photo, "Spring has Sprung!!" It is so nice to connect with our old friends! That is a very unique show for pastiers. Thanks for sharing
Barbara said…
Happy Birthday!
And I'm loving all your photos of Paris...my favorite city!
Happy Birthday. How wonderful that your best friend could come to Paris to be with you. You've taken her (and us) on a fabulous culinary food tour. Lucky E.

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen. It's very nice to meet you. You are so fortunate to live in the city of lights. Wow. I hope you have many more happy birthdays.
Sam
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday! This pastry shop looks incredible. I used to live in Paris (Montesson, actually) and never saw anything like it.

I bumped into your web site while doing research for my blog and really like it. I found your blog while doing research on how to seal up empanadas. Love your site :)

I got a recognition award from a fellow blogger the other day. Very Nice. I was asked to pass it on to other bloggers I like. You are on the list. Check out the posting at my blog, Global Table...

Sasha
Duchess of Tea said…
Happy Belated Birthday Cristina darling, wishing you a life full of good health, happiness, loads and wealth and laced with blessings.

Love & Hugs
Duchess
Mary Bergfeld said…
Happy Birthday, Cristina. This was a lovely story. This is my first visit to your blog. I'll be back often.
Stella said…
Hey Cristina, I'm glad you and your friend had a good time. You know, my first friend won't even talk to me or anyone from our childhood. She snubs me/us every time I go home-makes me sad b/c I would love to still know her. She's a bit 'disturbed' and defensive if you know what I mean...Oh well, C'est La Vie...
Anyway, your'e very lucky to have your first childhood friend still in your life...
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Mary
@My Carolina Kitchen

Welcome to my blog !! Thanks for being here...

@ Duchess of Tea
Thanks for the wishes and constant support!

@ Global table
Thanks for the award and words !!!!!!!

@ Stella
Yes, Stella...c'est la vie !!! I also have a friend, whom I still love a lot, and I do not know why, one day, she decided not to speak to me ...I still can't think why she is so angry with me...I feel very sad about this..sort of frustrated but...what can I do? C'est la vie !!!
Unknown said…
Wow, your pictures are really fabulous. I so want to go back to France now.
I hope you have a great weekend.
*kisses* HH
p.s. I've updated my blog and gave it a whole new look. I'd love to know what you think :D
S said…
beautiful places! and wishing you a happy belated birthday. the macarons you made for your daughter are lovely and tell her we love her girlishness- those earrings are adorable! x shayma