Alain Ducasse / Today's recipe: Goatfish, potatoes and tapenade


Thinking about what to do for Easter? Wanna impress your family and friends? How about saying, nonchalantly, that you have prepared "a Ducasse"....


Inmediately, they will think you spent hours in the kitchen, but no...and that's part of the genius..."they stoop to conquer"...From the book, The Best of Alain Ducasse, comes this recipe....
This second post of a Ducasse recipe (first one here) is the result of having met him  last Saturday, during a book-signing event. Seeing him in person was more than my brain could bear...the moment I had to speak to him, my French words deserted me !!!!



To make this "rouget", you will need (serves 4):


 * goatfish (red mullet) fillets, 12 ( 3 per person)
 * potatoes, 4/5
 * zucchini, 2
 * olive oil
 * fleur de sel, and piment d'Espelette


Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water for 25'. Then cut them in slices of 6mm. Sautée them in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1' each side. Set aside.
Cut the zucchini into "ribbons" (use a small knife, not the potato peeler, since they might be too thin) Sautée them 1' in a tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside.
Sautée the fillets in a non-stick frying pan, with a tablespoon of olive oil, skin side 1', 10'' the other side. 
For the tapenade, find the ingredients and directions here.


Assembly:

Place 4/5 slices of potatoes on the dish (try to create "volume" putting some slices on top of the others). Place the fillets on top as you see in the photo. Decorate with the "tapenade', some black olive slices, and the zucchini ribbons..Sprinke "fleur de sel" and piment d'Espelette on top.


It is SO simple !!! 
Enjoy it ! 

Comments

Chef Chuck said…
Beautiful, I would love to taste that dish. Never had Goatfish~~
Thanks for sharing!
Ed Schenk said…
What a beautiful looking dish!
Stella said…
Hey Cristina,
This dish looks so simple and delicious. I love fish dishes that are just quickly cooked with a touch of vegetable and accented with something good ands salty.
By the way, I saw what you wrote on my blog. I hope when your'e feeling a bit of 'soledad' that you know I'm peering at you through my crystal ball thinking how talented you are. I really do love looking at your photos. Sometimes I look at them before taking pictures to study your food styling and such (not that my stuff (household items) is nice like yours, but, you know, I try...
Barbara said…
A simple and completely elegant dinner!
Wonderful, Cristina!
@ Stella: Oh, thank you, Stella ! You are so warm and kind-hearted !!! I'm glad you liked the fish. I think a great chef is not always complicated..Mastery resides in knowing that a delicious fish like a "rouget" deserves to be "alone", to appreciate its unique flavor fully! As to the photos, they were once again rejected by Foodgawker & Tastespotting !!! I do not understand their criteria, not that my photos are perfect, but then they publish some that honestly are not "works of arts"..
A huge kiss
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Chef Chuck: Thanks for your constant support!
@ Ed Schenk: Welcome to my blog!
@ Barbara: I feel honoured you appreciated the recipe!
Mjosé said…
Que envidia !! y que receta mas buena.
Look at my blog. There is a SURPRISE FOR YOU.

http://enmicocinayalrededores.blogspot.com
Gourmantic said…
We call the red mullet Barbounia. I love the taste, but the fine bones make it difficult to eat. I can't seem to get fillets or this dish would be on the menu!
Lori Lynn said…
Oh, lucky you!

We ate at his restaurant in Paris just days before it moved to the new location, I think it was 2000 or 2001.
LL

Popular Posts