An Italian Moment: Summery Ricotta Tart, or When Inspiration Comes from the Amalfi Coast (Part I)



Geometric & Arithmetic accuracy for cutting and placing strawberries is required..AND patience!

Finally, with one year of delay (Yes, the volcano decided to keep quiet this time!), we were able to make our planned trip to Italy..the Amalfi coast, to be precise. And every time I go to Italy, I realise how much Italians have influenced the life, the memories, the taste of all Argentinians. The star of afternoon tea, coffee, or mate has always been in my family the ricotta tart...with its sweet lemony taste, and the special texture of ricotta...Of course our ricotta tarts were not like this one, they were more simple,  like this one here. The one that I made for you is more of a "renegade"(?!), yes...like an Italian country village girl that dreams to be "Parisienne"....


But this is what these images of Sorrento inspired in me...I remember reading that many English poets, like Byron, D.H.Lawrence, or American Henry James went to Italy in search of inspiration..Some of them dreamt of Italy but never stepped on Italian soil..like Shakespeare, but he despicted so well the Juliet's balcony in Verona, that we all believe that balcony really existed, when it did not (sorry to spoil the business of Verona's tour operators!!)
In any case, looking for inspiration or for lazy "dolce farniente", the Amalfi coast is a must because of its beauty ...and good food!


This is Capri, la Piazzeta!! I could have stayed there for hours, enjoying the sun, like a tortoise, chatting noisily with my family or friends...(yes, in Italy you chat noisily!!) Of course, the only thing that would make me leave my chair would be a detour at the several luxury jewelry shops!!! Please, God or whoever is in charge of this...in my next re-incarnation I would love to be the spoilt, protected lover of some Italian viscount, who would have as only penchant to buy me rings!! I LOVE rings...Of course, I did not dare to come up with the suggestion of another ring to my husband because he (unlike my Italian viscount) would have probably locked me inside the clock tower you see in the photo surrounded by all the pidgeons (which I hate!)


Here is Anacapri (on the same island but higher). Less classy, probably more authentic..We had lunch in the little restaurant you see there, in the sun, because technically speaking, we were freezing in Italy!! (yes, only fifteen days ago, it was very cold! ) I had the best spaghetti a la vongole in my life!!! I don't know what the cook had used, but the taste was incredible!



On another, nearly stormy day, we went to Positano..Sometimes, the lack of sunlight makes settings more dramatic, colors acquire a different hue...The little colourful houses perched on the hills,  lemons, artichokes everywhere!!! huge artichokes, the bells of the churches announcing mass, "pepperoncinos" hanging from walls...widows in black, children playing football, chianti...beautiful girls in exuberant bodies....handsome young men..perfect Roman noses....in one word? Italy!!


Initially, I was going to top the tart with pears, but when I went to the market, five boxes of "gariguettes" (extremely perfumed French variety of strawberry) were being sold at 4 euros!!! so.....


A piece of this tart and a capuccino...what can else can we expect from life? Italian heaven...!
Well...if Marcello joined me, I wouldn't mind...(actually I would have adored an imaginary RDV with Marcello (yes, this is why I don't quite like Catherine Deneuve!)


And you know, there are thousands of photos where he is looking so elegant in his suits..Mamma Mia!!!, but here, he is like the essence of Italy! I can imagine the face of Catherine Deneuve!!! having breakfast with him in "such a state" Oh, mon Dieu!!!
Marcello, if we had met, I would have made for you ten of these ricotta tarts!!! 
Enjoy it!!




To make this Ricotta Tart, with strawberries, you will need:


For the Pâte Sucrée: follow my eternal, classic recipe here

Then,


* ricotta, 500gr *sugar, 100gr *egg, 1 *yolks, 3 *zest of lemon, 1 *corn flour (Maizena), 1tbsp *butter(melted), 1 tbsp *strawberries, many!! (I can't say the exact quantity because that will depend on their size, but at least 1/2 kilo)


Roll out the pâte sucrée (1/2cm high), trying to have a circle slightly bigger than the intended mold.  Put it on parchment paper, and on a baking tray. Put on top your ring mold (here 20cm, previously brushed with butter). Press so that the excess is cut. Take it to the fridge (min 30') Remember each time you work with this pâte, that it has to be very cold otherwise it breaks easily. 
Pre-heat oven 180°C. In a stand-mixer (or a hand one) whisk the ricotta with the sugar till creamy.  Then add the agg, and then the yolks, one by one. Finally the lemon zest, and the butter and corn flour. 
Remove your mold from the fridge, and immediately, pour the batter in. Take it to the oven. Bake around 30', till the ricotta becomes golden brown and has set!
Slice the strawberries thinly (photo) and start placing them, on the outer circle of the mold, one on top of the other, leaving one third of the strawberry free (this is difficult to explain but the photos show that clearly!) When you finish, if you are not eating the tart immediately, brush the strawberries with an apricot gelée (dissolved in a bit of water) There are also special products (gelées) for this in bakery professional shops.




Comments

Unknown said…
Looks absolutely delightful! Glad you got to Italy =)
Miriam said…
I wouldn't mind anything with Marcello either... ahem. Lovely tart... and beautiful places.
Impossible not to be inspired by such a beautiful place! That tart looks so mouthwatering. A divine treat.

Cheers,

Rosa
What a beautiful place, one of these days I am really going to have to visit.
Unknown said…
Cristina, you are so funny!
This tart is an inspiration, a burst of color with lovely texture from the sliced strawberries;-)
We are planning a trip to Italy this year so I was checking out all your photos and comments with thoughts to my trip.
ps, I love rings too;-)
Unknown said…
Strawberries and ricotta? How could you go wrong? What a delicious and elegant desert.
*kisses* HH
p.s. i now want to go to the Amalfi Coast. What lovely pictures.
p.s.s. happy Mother's day!
Patience is right. What a tart my friend...your work inspires me to do better. I would not mind having Marcello for breakfast either...I mean sitting across the table from him...LOL
eva said…
Beautiful post! Both a delight to te eyes and the tongue!
Lori Lynn said…
Such passion!
Your tart is a masterpiece Cristina!
LL
FOODalogue said…
Your flirtatious sides shines through...first the Italian viscount and then Marcello. What a fun post...and what a beautiful tart.
Gaby said…
In Argentina we are much more influenced by Italian cuisine than we think!
When I first came to live in England I was amazed when going to the supermarket, that lots and lots of what (for me)were everyday staple products,were placed in an exclusive Italian section...
On another note, there is a new program on TV called "Two greedy Italians".. these 2 cooks travel to Italy and show lovely food and places..they showed Ricotta Gnoccis"..for the British viewers a whole novelty dish..for me, the most lovely memories of cooking with my mum every 29th of the month...shaping them with the "fork" to create ridges.(by the way they did lazy gnocci, just cut with the knife) I learnt to master this delicate task when I was probably 6 or 7 years old... Love cooking with mummy!
Enough about me, I'm glad you had a lovely time.
Anonymous said…
I'm a ring addict too!! Can't get enough- although I only ever seem to wear one ring at a time. Your tart and descriptions of Italia are lovely! We planted strawberries this year and are looking forward to enjoying some as the plants get bigger. A tart would be a perfect way to show them off. Have you enjoyed Limoncello yet? My understanding is that the best Limoncello is from the Amalfi coast...So glad you enjoyed your stay!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Jennifer

Surprisingly enough, I didn't buy lemoncello! What's happening with me???! ;D
I miss the Amalfi coast. My last trip there was in 2007, but it seems just like yesterday. My love for this part of Italy will NEVER die!!!
Unknown said…
que lindo lugar eh! Buenisma las fotos
Anonymous said…
Once again, you are sharing with us some stunning pictures of what must have been an exceptionally beautiful and romantic trip. You should organize a contest asking your most faithful followers to vote on what they think is your best post !
The tart reflects your dedication, your sense of beauty... and your patience !

Y.K.W.
Nina said…
I love this post and your tart looks divine! This is my first visit to your blog (which is fantastic!) Cheers! Nina
Eléonora said…
Christina...merci beaucoup pour ton adorable commentaire...Cela me touche beaucoup. Mais que dire aussi de tes belles photos ? Tout un programme que j'adore avec cette Italie magique...mon pays, notre pays. Ton billet est extra et j'ai voyagé dans la pensée le temps de le lire...c'était beau....
Eléonora said…
Je viens de parcourir une partie de tes billets, j'adore ta sensibilité...extra !!!!
Barbara said…
What a fabulous trip and gorgeous photos! I'd love to visit.
I've been seeing ricotta tarts here and there (of course none look as lovely as yours) and I do remember having a ricotta cake in Italy, but I've never made anything similar at home. This looks so summery and delicious, Cristina. I've already copied the recipe.
Aldy said…
Ay, Mama mia! What a breath-taking post, Cris. Funny, original and beautiful as always :)

Una delicia total leer tus palabras,y deleitar la vista con esa tremenda tartita! Me imagino que debe ser imposible 'No poder inspirarse' en un lugar tan fascinate.

Besos,

Aldy.
Claudia said…
That tart is summery luscious - but you know - this whole blog entry is luscious. The Amalfi Coast beckons...
Ciao Chow Linda said…
Gee whiz, if faced with choosing that tart or Marcello, I don't know.... Having them all, while on the Amalfi coast is the way to go. Looks like a great trip.
dulce de leche said…
Thank you for amazing recipe:)I tried it this weekend,and combinations of strawberry and ricotta was breathtaking..I love your blog♥
Chef Chuck said…
That is some "Tart"!!
I see your in my family history area of Italy! I just missed you!! I love that region!
chadilaksono said…
Hello, this recipe looks amazing! But I'm wondering what the amount of corn flour is, it says 1 corn flour, but it doesn't give the measurement. Would you mind telling me the right quantity? Thank you so much for sharing this!
fromBAtoParis said…
@chadilaksono

It does say..1 tablespoon
Thanks for your comment!