A Friend from Argentina, a Trip to Marrakech...and Moroccan Food! Today's Special: Kefta Tagine



The Koutoubia Mosque, a masterpiece of Hispano/Moorish art

Et oui, this time I left France to go to Morocco, with one of my best friends, who lives in Argentina...My friend E. and I have been together ever since we were six years old! Not only did we go to primary and secondary school together, but we sat together!,  we shared after-school games, vacations.... One day, without realizing, we got married..not together ;D but we kept on seeing each other, sharing our lives, families....going through tough times..life has been particularly tough for my friend...we cried together, we were scared to death together..and still, here we are..friends for life! 
I decided that, for a change, we could visit Marrakech together, and we loved it! 


One of the first things tourists do when arriving in the Red City is to go to Jemaa el Fna Square: geographical, cultural, and social center of the Medina. In the past, the trading center between North and South Morocco..nowadays a show on its own: you will find merchants of all sorts, snake charmers, tooth pullers, musicians, fire-eaters...My favorite stands in the "souk" (market) are those devoted to antiques, and dried fruits: apricots, bananas, prunes and dates, of the best quality you will ever find!


After the bustle of winding alleys in the souk, it was time for tea...mint tea: the national beverage, AND some Moroccan pastries! 



Moroccan pastries are typically stuffed with almond paste, dusted with icing sugar or honey. They are VERY sweet, I love them though! 


Renowned for its good weather, our first day in Marrakech was unusually stormy!

Just losing your way in the streets of Marrakech is an amazing experience: you will find incredible wooden doors, arcades...and spices! Disneyland for me! 




You can find all the spices possible there, plus specific ones for different tagines, ras el hanout, lavender, star anise, plus herbs to make infusions to heal all conditions: saffran flowers for insomnia, rose from Damas..against constipation AND wrinkles.. hibiscus, for relaxation! Plus, argan oil! to be used not only for cooking (salads, cous-cous) but also renowned for its cosmetic properties against skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis, and in hair treatments...
After this store, we decided to go for art, and there nothing better than the Bahia Palace! 


How can I describe this jewel made by  Moroccan artists and artisans? Marble paved courtyards, stucco panels, arches, enameled terracota tiles, zellij decorations, carved-cedar for the painted ceilings...




Art, history, food, shopping....and after so much walk, a bit of "dolce far niente" in the hotel, feet in the air...



Once home, thinking about my blog and my dear readers, I thought of reproducing one of the most typical dishes of Moroccan cuisine: this kefta tagine, a classic in my family..my kids a-dore-it!! but to be honest, we always eat it at a Moroccan restaurant here in Paris, so looking for a recipe, I remembered I had seen it in Cherine's blog: Chicho's Kitchen, a charming Lebanese young lady, living in Paris, who will take you to far-away lands with her amazing cuisine...


You can find her recipe and beautiful photos here. I hope you try this at home, with some cous-cous!  

Comments

Chef Chuck said…
Hi Cristina, How fun, Morocco! Thank you for sharing Moroccan food, I would love some of those spices!!
That is wonderful you and your long time friend can share such a nice vacation!!
All the best, Chuck
I'd love to visit Marocco! Thanks for sharing. I am a big lover of Moroccan food.

Cheers,

Rosa
Anonymous said…
I just cannot believe it Cristina !
Just back from Marocco and tired for sure, after all the hustle and bustle of showing your friend around (feeding her too !) and the trip to Marrakech... How could you manage to produce this lovely post so quickly ? ! I looked just in case, as I know you always surprise us. This one brings back lots of lovely memories of that place that I visited years ago when the jacarandas were in full bloom, just like in Buenos Aires !
Maroccan food is delicious indeed. I have a very good recipe of pastilla for you if you're interested.
Anyway, welcome back - we missed you !

Y.K.W.
Thanks for the tour. I would probably come back home loaded with spices and a tagine...
Magic of Spice said…
Cristina, this is such a beautiful post all around. What a gorgeous place, I have always wanted to visit...will go check out the recipe :)
Holly N said…
The latest wonderful Moroccan product is cosmetic argan oil. It is becoming popular in the States. I strongly recommend using 100% pure organic argan oil and not products with argan oil because they only contain 4 to 5% argan oil.

My favorite brand is Mogador Argan Oil, it is moderately priced and is available at http://www.CertifiedArganOil.com. They ship worldwide.

You can add a few drops of pure argan oil to your favorite creme, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc..I does make skin and hair feel like silk!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Anonymous

I would love to have your recipe, to post it next time..Thanks for your sweet comment!!
Barbara said…
The one thing I always loved about living in Europe was that everything was so close! A quick trip to Morocco sounds lovely and with a good friend, even more fun. Knowing you, Cristina, you'd take see all the sights and taste all the food. Those spices would fill my suitcase!
Susan said…
What a beautiful tour of an amazing city ... we have always dreamed of visiting Marrakesh, My husband loves the Moorish architectural designs and beautiful tile mosaics in Arabic art ... I love the spices and teas that are so much a part of the culture! Thank you for an armchair tour!

The tagine looks wonderful!
What a beautiful place, I've always wanted to visit. What a wonderful experience to share with your best friend.
Cherine said…
Cristina, I loved reading your post and the experience you had in Marrakech! My best friend in Paris is moving soon to Marrakech and I will visit her soon!

Your kefta tagine looks absolutely yummy! thanks for the sweet note you left :)

Have a great sunny weekend!!
Unknown said…
This is a timely post for me because I just purchased a tagine, I've made beef short ribs and chicken with sweet potatoes and prunes, so far. Thank you for the link to such a wonderful recipe, I will add this to my list of recipes to try. Your trip to Morocco looks amazing and how special to share this adventure with a dear friend. You lounge at the hotel looks so relaxing, I'm glad you enjoyed;-)
FOODalogue said…
I love the way you expressed your life-long friendship. I, too, am fortunate to have a couple of friends I've traveled through life with.

Your photos of Morocco entice as does that kefta tagine. I love that it has an egg at its center.
Anonymous said…
Oh Cristina! I'm so glad you guys got to have some fun in North Africa-it's such a special place with people that are quite wonderful and very underrated in my opinion. Though I might be biased since part of my family is Algerian;-) Ooh, and your kefta look perfect. Yum Yum...
XOXO,
Stella
Gaby said…
How lovely what you say about your friend. I too have a very good friend that is very far, but despite the distance my friendship and love for her does not fade. We are in touch nearly every day..through the magic of internet....my little window to the world and I call it.
The photos of Morocco..lush! and it looks nice and warm.. glad you enjoyed it, we were missing you!
Belen said…
Que viaje mas estupendo, Marruecos me trae recuerdos familiares y la comida marroquí forma parte de las costumbres de nuestra familia. Bueno, y un viaje de chicas... genial!!!Unas fotos muy bonitas.Se ve que has disfrutado. Besos.