Un Air de Printemps (Spring is in the Air) - Asparagus/Orange Cream Tart



Et oui! This could be another recipe for my Chefex ! It's the asparagus season, and so I will devote some posts to these green knights (Have you ever read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? I used to torture my students with that...AND my (at the time) five-year-old nephew, who lives now in Germany but still remembers Gawain in awe, seeing the green knight picking up his head...sorry for the digression!)  


What I meant is that, when the nice weather begins, we feel less prone to be in the kitchen, and more inclined to go out....at least that happens to me! I love losing my way in the streets of Paris, stopping at every store, to see what's new..I particularly love little shops devoted to decoration items (apart from kitchenware stores) It is always nice to find a small new thing to decorate a room, or the balcony! 


Of course, nobody is going to give me a Michelin star for this tart! but it is precisely its simplicity that makes this tart a winner...and then, just wait! Wait to see how the mild bitterness of the asparagus blends with the orange cream....Yes! as I always say, appearances are deceptive!



It would be a sort of "must" to have an excellent puff pastry! Buttery and flaky as you see here...or for the bold ones, to make it at home!  


The shape of the asparagus suits the rectangle tart, and this provides a playful alternative to the traditional round tart..."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", my mother used to say...
I hope you enjoy it! 






To make this Asparagus/Orange Cream Tart, you will need:
(serves 2 tarts of  20x30cm)


*pastry puff (to roll out), 400gr *asparagus, 16 *orange, 2 *eggs, 2 *crème fraîche, 8tbsp *olive oil, to spray *salt/pepper


Cut the stalk of the asparagus (1/2cm) and in order to blanch them, put them into boiling salted water for 3/5' (according to how thick they are) (if you can keep the tips out of the boiling water, better. Remove them from the boiling water and pass them immediately to a bowl of icy water (to stop the cooking process) . Let them rest for some minutes (till cool) Dry them. 
Pre-heat your oven 210°C. Roll out your puff pastry into the desired shape (here, a rectangle of 20x30cm) Fold the edges (previously damped with water) to create a mold (see picture)


You don't need parchment paper on the tray if your puff pastry is good quality, since it won't stick due to the butter content. Just sprinkle the tray with icy water. Then, refrigerate for at least 30' before putting in the oven! 
Grate the orange with a zester. Then remove the skin. Peel the orange "à vif" as explained here. Then, whisk the two eggs with the cream, season to taste. Add in the orange juice that you got during the peeling process, and the zest. Remove the baking trays from the fridge. Pour half the cream/orange juice mixture. Accomodate 8 asparagus, and half the orange slices. Bake for approx 20' till the crust is golden. Half-way the baking process, spray the tart with olive oil. (Proceed likewise for the other tart!)



Recipe adapted from "Elle à Table"

Comments

A pretty tart! So spring-like and pretty.

Cheers,

Rosa
Miriam said…
Con lo que a mí me gustan los espárragos, tengo que probar esta combinación con naranja... tienes razón con lo del buen tiempo...
Gaby said…
Hi Cristina "Como estamos"! so many posts this week.
I love tarts, tartelettes, sweet and savoury ! I love them all.
And square.. Divine. I love the thin rectangular mold too.
I am always trying to convince everyone that they should do their own quiches..it makes such a difference to the bought ones...
FOODalogue said…
I always enjoy a sweet-savory combination, but the addition of orange to the cream here is unexpected and very interesting. And very Spring!
marla said…
I would have never thought to pair asparagus with orange cream, but I love this idea!!
Your blog is gorgeous :)
Jason said…
Great looking tart! The asparagus caught my eye right away.
Molto chic questa tua ricetta, ciao :)
Cherine said…
A wonderful savory tart to welcome the spring days!
Claudia said…
I do see how the orange just brightens the asparagus and then you mixed it with creme fraiche instead of cream and I was hooked.
tasteofbeirut said…
Yes, this is a very stylish tart, perfectly fitting for Paris!
That tart looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Wishing you a lovely day! xoxo, B
I remember my Dad telling me stories as a child..King Arthur and the round table and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight...funny how you brought it all back to me. This tart looks amazing and I think I might give it a go for my little shing ding on Friday.

Have a great Weekend!
Adelina said…
Asparagus also has huge health benefits... don't know it by heart. This is just gorgeous. I recently saw a recipe with Asparagus with Orange Cream and this sound better since I love puff pastry so much. As always love your photos.
Kankana said…
so pretty and such a easy recipe. Love asparagus any time. This is a wonderful treat :)
Fantastica ricetta!! Bravissima! Ciao
I am making this tomorrow!! It is going to be incredible!! Thank you for sharing a fabulous recipe and one that is so interesting..
Bunny
bat said…
I cooked this tart for my wife and she fell in love with it, so did I
Thanks
Bat
Unknown said…
I really like the sound of this. I never would have thought to put asparagus and orange together. It sounds so summery.
*kisses* HH
fromBAtoParis said…
@bat

So glad both of you loved it! That's the idea!
Barbara said…
I used to love to lose myself in the streets of Paris too, Cristina. I love that city!
Asparagus tarts are divine and what a lovely idea to make this one with orange cream. Absolutely lovely and I wish I had a piece right now!
Aldy said…
Ay, que delicia! Me encantan los esparagos. Son tan delicados y exquisitos.Hermosa la tarta que hiciste :)El contraste de colores es precioso.Bravo!

Besotes desde el Pacifico y buen fin de semana,

Aldy.
Magic of Spice said…
What a beautiful tart and I love all of the antique gardening goodies :)

Popular Posts