Alfajores de Maizena (corn starch) to say Goodbye to Buenos Aires, or the Girls Just Wanna have Fun !!!



When I was a teenager, girls didn't have "mate"....It was adult stuff, and mainly, it was not "chic"...we wanted to be "Europeans"...we had tea ! But times have changed, and for reasons I'm not going to enumerate here, or maybe I don't even know, in many countries there has been a re-birth national pride....and so now, it is chic, or even "bobo" (French term for bourgeois-bohème) to have mate...and mates have changed, alongside with the new fashion...so instead of having the typical hollow gourd, we can get now, these mates wrapped with a hand-woven roots, dyed in pastel colors!!!


Now THE thing to eat with mates is an alfajor....as we say here, "alfajorcitos (little alfajor) de Maizena" The peculiar thing about the dough is that it is very dry....once in your mouth, it turns into a kind of powder... 


The dry, flaky dough meets the unctuosity of dulce de leche..... There is also a little touch of coconut....making up this duo, coconut / dulce de leche, so dear to all Argentinians!


And just like that...almost without noticing, I get to the end of my stay in Buenos Aires...Paris is calling me, like a jealous, forlorn lover...!
Precisely, this is how I feel...like a woman with two lovers! One is sweet and quiet, reassuring, peaceful...but sometimes this Cartesian peace runs the risk of turning into boredom...The other is passionate, tumultuous, unexpected, unreliable, even dangerous ...! Sometimes all this makes him more exciting, but at times, this rough unexpectedness shakes me off my balance...and there I go, to the arms of the other...to the safe haven, only to yearn, after a while, the enchanting wildness left behind...
Goodbye, my dear Buenos Aires !! I will be flirting with sweet, grey Paris for some months...but you know me...you know I'll always be back! 








To make these Alfajores de Maizena, you will need:


*flour, 200gr *Maizena (corn starch), 300gr *baking powder, 2 teasp  *salt, 1/2 coffeesp *butter, 250gr (room temperature) *sugar, 150gr *yolks, 3 *vanilla extract, 1 teasp *lemon zest, 1 small lemon *dulce de leche (for the filling) *coconut flakes


In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, extract and zest, at medium speed 2'. Add yolks, one at a time, until well combined. Add the dry elements (flour and corn starch, previously sifted) in batches. As soon as a dough is formed (don't overdo whisking), put in in a bowl, cover with film and refrigerate for one hour.
Pre-heat oven 180°C. On a floured worktop, roll out dough (1/2cm high), and cut 2 cm circles with a cookie cutter. Accomodate on silpat or baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake until slightly golden (10/12' aprox) Transfer cookies to wire rack until cool. Spread or pipe some dulce de leche on one of the cookies. Place the other cookie on top. Press slightly. Even the dulce de leche with a knife. Roll on some coconut flakes.



Comments

A delightful speciality! Those cookies look addictive.

Cheers,

Rosa
Anonymous said…
Am I first for once ? !!!
I know this must be hard for you to leave your "querido" Buenos Aires behind. But as an expat, don't you feel you're having the best of both worlds somehow ? And your friends are waiting for you in Paris too, remember !
I've never been an alfajor fan, but maybe I'll be a devil and try YOUR recipe. Would it be a terrible sin to replace the dulce de leche by a good blackcurrant preserve and to accompany them with a nice cup of tea ;D ?
Maybe you should choose your friends better !!!
Thanks for the beautiful pictures again.

Y.K.W.
fromBAtoParis said…
@YKW

Of course you can replace dulce de leche by anything you like ...and I DO miss my French friends, of course...As I said, I am happy to return to Paris, which is now my home...!!
Cherine said…
Cristina, I love alfajores.
I should try your recipe soon.
I know how you feel now, but Paris needs you too... bring some sunshine with you!!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Cherine,
Thanks and Yes !!! I'm looking forward to seeing Paris again !!!!
Miriam said…
Adios Buenos Aires, hola París... no está nada mal. Y me encanta esa matera tan chic!
Tanya said…
Cristina, where was this post yesterday when I needed it? I left home yesterday without thinking...and then got caught not knowing what corn starch in France is. In Toronto I can find it anywhere...here? I was stuck and had my husband -- who has no clue about cooking or baking -- as my helper. I found out today that what I really needed was maizena.

I will bake tomorrow instead...and perhaps I will add your lovely alfajores to my list. They look so yummy, and with a steaming pot of tea, I think I've found a way to pass the afternoons! Thank you (as always)!!!
Anonymous said…
Like an Argentinian macaron! And gluten-free too! Yet another reason to visit BA! How blessed you are to have two such fabulous places to call home! Safe travels back to Paris!
Magic of Spice said…
These cookies are new to me but they look especially tempting...have a safe trip!
What a lovely recipe - I willa dd it to my list of "must try" ones!

And happy travels back to your other home - in beautiful Paris!
Well I want to know what Buenos Aires is like if you think that Paris is the sweet and quiet lover! I must say those aren't the first words that would come to mind when I think of Paris :-D Charming yes, quiet no!
fromBAtoParis said…
@Sylvie,

If you knew BA, you would know what I mean...
Unknown said…
que rico! Extrano Argentina y mate. Tengo mate aca en nuevo york pero no es lo mismo es alla, con amigos y todos. Minus divertido. Me encanta alfajores tamb.
Unknown said…
Hey Cristina, it sounds like you have the best of two unique worlds.
I enjoyed following your trip to Buenos Aires and welcome you back to Paris, even though at this point I can only dream of my next visit to France. But I have your eyes and words to connect me so cheers to your future posts from Paris;-)
Sommer@ASP said…
Cristina, the cookies looks delicious. I loved this post and the "forlorned lover" analogy. It must be difficult living so far away from you roots.
Aldy said…
Cris,Tanto tiempo :) Que bueno tenerte de vuelta :) Y con tantas cosas ricas...Que alfajores!!! Me mataste :)No pude con la tentacion mientras leia tus post y me fui a la heladera y agarre el dulce de leche para saciar un poco el argentinismo :)

Bellisimas tus fotos como siempre, Y si como siempre es dificil decir chau aunque mas no sea por un tiempo.

Te mando un besote y me alegro que hayas llegado (cansada)pero FELIZ.
Amelia PS said…
Magical...all your photos and recounts of Argentina, and Argentinian lifestyle and food. I know how you feel (having just returned from my Italy trip). But it's so great to have more than one culture to love and live by. These cookies look like your madeleinettes ;)
Mjosé said…
Una buena receta para terminar tus vacaciones.
Bienvenida otra vez a Europa. Qué rápido se acaba lo bueno. Menos mal que dejas un sabor dulce de despedida.
Se me hace la boca agua con los alfajores.
Un abrazo
Looks delicious Cristina !! As always :)
Barbara said…
Most of us leave our hearts at the place we were born....can't be helped I guess. But how exciting to live in Paris!

The cookies look fabulous!
me encanto la historia... y ese mate! por dios! es hermoso!
buen viaje!
Shanae Branham said…
Christina, I am glad I stopped by today. I loved your point of view about "mate". By the way, I have a contest giveaway on my blog you might find fun. Take a look. triumphandtears.blogspot.com
Claudia said…
What a sweet posting. You do Paris and Buenos Aires proud and both cities are lucky to have you. Nice to see the circular pattern of Mate and oh my those sweet cookies just point up the sweetness in this entry.
Unknown said…
Cristina, we have an Asian version of alfajores and your post brought back some lovely memories of my time growing up. Like you, I must do a revival of childhood favorite cookies and these alfajores will be top of the list. Thanks for the inspiration, as always!
Stella said…
My Cristina! That's so funny that you guys drank tea instead of mate when you were young. I love mate, so I'm glad it's 'in style' again to drink it-had some the other day actually. I just need to make your delicious alfajores and get one of those super cute mate holders, so that I can do it right (smile)!
p.s. Hope your flight to Paris is a good one;)
those colors make mate look so stylish! i want one! :)
I love alfajores, and dulche de latte! I can't drink mate though - I tried it once and it gave me palpitations, like coffee does :(