about me



My name is Cristina. I am Argentinian, and I came to France some years ago. I live in Paris. Before coming here, I was a teacher, who enjoyed cooking for her family, good but simple things, in the Argentine tradition.
But one day, destiny brought to France, and there, great shock! On the one hand, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of products I could see in the markets and supermarkets, but on the other, I did not know quite what to do with them: why were there so many different types of cream, of sugars, of butter? What was the difference between a “pâte feuilletée”, “brisée”, “sablée” and “sucrée”…? We only had ONE “pâte” back in Buenos Aires, and we seemed to manage our existence quite happily, and successfully, without all the others…..Little by little, I started experimenting at home, trial and error...but French people are very kind, and they take very seriously this question of giving the appropiate welcome to foreigners, so they started inviting me for dinner !!!!! “And what is wrong with that?”, you might wonder.
“Nothing”, only it was the beginning of my problems !!!! because accepting their invitation meant that one day I would have to invite them to MY home, and cook for THEM….and doing this after you had tasted and eaten the most refined, sophisticated things “chez eux” (in their homes) was enough to prevent me from sleeping several days before the D-day. OK, first time, easy…”empanadas” (typical Argentine dish) and nobody would dare judge me for that…How many French know how to make empanadas???? Wise girl !!!! but then, the second time around? No way I could produce the same empanadas, even if they had adored them….so, rush chez Carrefour, where I had seen the Larousse: 1001 recettes Gourmandes….witty girl one more time !!!!! Once home, I noticed that the book was in French, of course (that I knew) but during my French one-month intensive course, no teacher had ever taught me the meaning of “éplucher, écaler, court-bouillon, passoire"…..and THEN, I got to page 220, where they taught me how to “prepare” snails for cooking: it read: “ the living snails must, first of all, fast for more than a week, and then, in order to “dégorger” them (I did not know what it meant but it sounded terrible) I had to confine them in a bowl with one glass of water, a small handful of salt and a pinch of flour !!!!!, covering the bowl with something heavy to prevent the poor creatures from escaping, without forgetting to stir from time to time! I closed the book, and decided that the snails would never be on my menu. I think I never used that book again, the major drawback being (apart from the snail massacre) that the book did not have photographs, so you could not have a clue what your dish had to look like….
Next I decided to see this, first-hand, so I enrolled for Cuisine lessons with a nice lady who later on became my friend, and who could cook the most marvellous things, in a small kitchen, without leaving behind the smallest speck of dirt, dressed in a silk shirt and skirt, of course, as a French lady should be…I remember wondering: "how does she cook so neatly, in such a small place?" Later on, I understood...this is what French cuisine is about: quality of products, technique, and discipline, DISCIPLINE !!!!!
Then destiny again brought me another French friend, who showed me, in a subtle way, that every day cooking for our family could be an occasion to celebrate, that nice dishes, and glasses and forks did not have to be kept for fancy dinners…that they should be part of our daily life, because it was a way to cherish our family too. And when I say “subtle” is because she did not teach me that, I saw her doing these things, cooking wonderful dishes, with no other reason that doing the best for her beloved ones. What a good reason!!!
I still see her screaming (jokingly) to me when I suggested having tea in a plastic cup! “Porcelain, only porcelain for your tea, Cristina” and she was right, tea does not taste the same in a plastic cup….
Et oui! , the French are right!!! The proof is the face of delight of my very Argentine children, when I set the table nicely, with matching tablecloth and napkins, sparkling cutlery….food can be the same, but it tastes better, because it shows that you cared, you cared to change a simple chicken into something fancier, because dining changes from “something we do when we are starving” to a moment of sharing the stories of the day, and there is nothing better than sharing all that, with family and friends, around a heart-warming dish, a cup of good wine, fragrant fruit…it is not only what you do, but HOW you do it. For all that, my endless thankfulness…. Merci la France!Merci the French!

Culinary Experience

Ecole de Cuisine de Beatriz Chomnalez (Buenos Aires/Argentina-2007/2008)
Alain Ducasse (Paris /France-2008) French Pâtisserie and Finger-Food course
Caesar Park Hotel (Buenos Aires/Argentina-2008) : Internship in Pâtisserie
O'Farrell Restaurant (Buenos Aires/Argentina-2008/2009) Chef Pâtissière
Gérard Mulot (Paris/France-2009) Internship in Pâtisserie
Ecole Lenôtre (Paris/France-2009-2010) "Stage professionnel de Perfectionnement en       Pâtisserie"


Languages


English is not my native tongue, but it is the language most blog-readers know. I apologise for any mistakes. I will use some words in French (with the proper translation), because it is the language of the culinary arts, so I think that might help people who, maybe, one day come to France for training.


Comments


They are welcomed (pleeease write!) in English, Spanish or French (in the blog)


Any questions can be addressed to: frombuenosairestoparis@gmail.com

Comments

Chef Chuck said…
Hello Cristina, living in Paris!!
I feel fortunate to have found your blog. Thank you for sharing your talents! Chuck :)
fromBAtoParis said…
Thanks a lot, Chuck! Your comments are very encouraging, mainly for someone like me, who has just started a blog!
Anonymous said…
Cristina, estas divina en la foto!

Un "look" argentino inconfundible!!!

Besos

Graciela
Lovely blog, I love the design and your writing style...and don't worry, even native english speakers make mistakes - often!
Ola Cristina,
que linda blogue.....
am so happy to tumble upon ur lovely blog and will be hopping by very often to step into the wonderful world of a very woderful person...
bejinhos e boa semana para Cristina...
S said…
cristina, i am very pleased to have stumbled upon your blog. i really enjoyed reading your 'about me' page in which you talk about having moved from South America to France. i look forward to reading your posts every now and then. it looks like a really lovely blog. best wishes, shayma
fromBAtoParis said…
@Shayma, Thank you Shayma! The pleasure is mine. You are incredibly talented !!!!!
Anonymous said…
Hi Cristina! I really adore your blog. Thanks for sharing your adventure in Paris. I'm not a chef but i love to bake and hopefully someday i could experience to study baking in Paris. I have a totally different career to what i like to be. Do you need to learn french to study in Paris? I hope for your reply. Goodluck! Grazia
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Grazia: Thanks for your comment! It is incredible how many people in the world would love to cook professionally....it is never too late!
While it's true that teachers in Culinary Schools in Paris speak enough English to make themselves understood, I think some basic French would help you a lot ! Good luck !
Jack T said…
Hola Cristina,
También estoy contento de haber descubierto usted.
Sus puestos están tan llenos de elegancia.
Un sueño.
Espero que el tiempo y los postes aún más
un abrazo Jacob
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Jacob: Muchiiiisimas gracias !
Anonymous said…
Hola Christina, tu blog es genial, soy una alemana que nacío en argentina jeje,la verdad estupendo todo el trabajo que hace, seguire tu blog.

Saludos Rocio
Anonymous said…
Hello, love your blog and your work is just beautiful. Your story is also very inspiring. In my case it's from Canada to Greece, and while I've dedicated the last 5-10 years of my life to arts, I never really imagined I'd find myself in sugar arts where I am today. Self teaching myself and experimenting with pastry, I'm now in the process of opening my own little shop on the island where I live. When it comes to patisserie, I've come a long way on my own, but I hope to head to Paris sometime this year for seminars or short trainings. Do you know of any that you could recommend? Muchas grazias!
Natasha
Anonymous said…
Love to have stumbled upon your blog. I'll be dropping by now and again :)
Sylvia said…
Hola Cristina, me alegra mucho haber encontrado tu blog esta muy bueno. Vos argentina en París, yo Brasilera en Argentina, me parece que en términos gastronómicos salís ganando.:)
Bjs
sensiblecooking said…
I kind of feel jealous of you Cristina. Living in Paris and the recipes in you blog are outstanding. And you really summed up the french cuisine very well. And you are right when food is served and prepared with love and care it tastes wonderful.
Angie said…
I am so glad to find your blog- it is fascinating...I love the idea of learning a whole new culture and country. I am looking forward to reading more!
Unknown said…
Cristina, congratulations for your blog. I am in Buenos Aires for work, could you please indicate me a place where I can find macarons here?
Thanks!
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Alexandre,

Thanks a lot for your comment! Since I go to BA only once a year, I don't know about the latest pastry shops that were opened...I guess the Alvear Hotel keeps on having great macarons, or Nucha...
wongdavis said…
Gracias Cristina! We have just returned to Boston from 10 days in BA and already I crave more empanadas. So this weekend I will try your recipe and especially the "Repulgue". The video is a wonderful help. I am also looking forward to reading more of your blog.
We loved Buenos Aires! - Bob
Borislava said…
I’m happy to stumble upon your blog – I find it a really pleasant place to spend some time, and I definitely like your “about” page! Appreciate your open and humble introduction (considering your culinary experience). Good luck, I’ll be passing by often :)
fromBAtoParis said…
@ Borislava

Thank you for your words and welcome to my blog!
Sos una IDOLA!!!! No puedo creer que esos platos los hayas hecho vos! Esas fotos increibles, ese concurso!!!...ESTE BLOG!!!! Mil FELICITACIONES! sigo por mail.....GRACIAS!
Anonymous said…
Wish an opportunity would come to me to go to Paris :)
Maybe one day.
L said…
Tu pais es un encanto!! Salta, Iguazu, Buenos Aires, Mendoza, San Antonio de Areco...todo fue una maravilla... esta en el plan regresar! Tu blog tambien esta muy precioso :-) ...am subscribing to the feed...bueno que lo pase siempre muy bien!
lex said…
bonjour, cristina!! votre blog est très inspirant. j'espère un jour vivre à paris et ainsi être un grand cuisinier. mon français n'est pas si bon, mais j'apprend. anyway, merci pour cette blog!
lex (:
Anonymous said…
Hi Cristina, I very much like your blog... wonderful photos, tasty recipes (which in fact I will prepare for my family) and that truly remarkable argentinean accent in everything that makes me feel proud and quite nostalgic...
My best regards and congrats from another argentinean living in Brazil.
Enrique
Unknown said…
Hola Cristina! Me encanta!! econtre tu receta de pan de leche en foodgawker.com y me dirigio hacia tu pagina....:) orgullo argentino!

segui cocinando! :)
un beso, Andre.
vero said…
Hola Cristina
Acabo de descubrir tu blog y me ENCANTO!! Soy una Argentina de Palermo, Pastelera y desde fanática de tu blog. No solo me encantan tus platos, sino tambien tus fotos. Un beso, Vero
fromBAtoParis said…
@Vero,

Bienvenida al blog, y te felicito!!!!! Qué tortas barbaras!!! Todo una delicia!

Popular Posts